Sponsored

Test drive

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Same here, if you can't drive safely with one hand there is a problem with something.
You're right. There's a problem with the driver believing that driving with one hand is safe.
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
You're right. There's a problem with the driver believing that driving with one hand is safe.
Kinda depends on conditions. I often switch between 2 handed and single handed driving (coffee through a straw is just nasty). Also tend to drive 2 handed when in close proximity traffic. Wide open interstate with no one around... again I'll switch as comfort and circumstance dictates. But granted that 2 hands on the wheel is always safer than one.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kinda depends on conditions. I often switch between 2 handed and single handed driving (coffee through a straw is just nasty). Also tend to drive 2 handed when in close proximity traffic. Wide open interstate with no one around... again I'll switch as comfort and circumstance dictates. But granted that 2 hands on the wheel is always safer than one.
I understand your point perfectly. My post was mainly directed to those that seem to think every vehicle should be designed to track perfectly straight using one hand in all road, weather and traffic conditions at any speed. Some of these people are perfect candidates for autonomous vehicles. And they'll probably still complain that they wander from one side of a lane to the other.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Best advice to everyone is to drive with two hands on the wheel, even if you don't feel that you have a steering problem. If these vehicles were meant to be steered with one hand, they'd have a joystick instead of a steering wheel.
Umm mine does have a joystick. It's called a manual transmission gear shift.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i have no issue with my steering in my 18JLU sport. seems pretty sharp and i feel in control one handed even at 80mph( i dont run 80 often at all) but i have never felt dead of loose space.

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Umm mine does have a joystick. It's called a manual transmission gear shift.
I'd love to see you steer with that joy stick only. Maybe Jeep can develop a combo stick that actually steers and shifts gears. :fist bump:

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
With the exception of extremely high desert winds, my stock 2019 JLUR tracks extremely well at highway speeds. Nearly 9,000 miles in 4 months with no steering issues.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLU sport, no wandering. I drive it one handed a lot (6 speed). There's no more of a dead spot than any other car I've ever driven.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of you guys crack me up. Driving a manual transmission doesn't condone the use of one handed steering at all times. Not to say that Europeans are better drivers, but if you've ever ridden with Germans on the Autobahn, you'll notice that the only time they take a hand off the wheel is when they shift gears. They don't leave a hand resting on the shift lever. They have much more manual transmissions there than we do in the States and they don't get preoccupied with distractions in the vehicle like we do. When they come here, they just shake their heads at what drivers do in their cars.

OP
OP

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When you guys stating you can drive with one hand does that mean:

1) one hand with almost no adjustment

or

2) one hand with constant input.

I might have been able to manage option #2 but it would have been with very frequent input to the steering wheel.

I have a hunch the tires might have been over inflated so I will go back and see if they will let me lower the air pressure and test drive again.

Thanks for all of the help/feedback!

Sponsored

OP
OP

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I understand your point perfectly. My post was mainly directed to those that seem to think every vehicle should be designed to track perfectly straight using one hand in all road, weather and traffic conditions at any speed. Some of these people are perfect candidates for autonomous vehicles. And they'll probably still complain that they wander from one side of a lane to the other.
I've got three cars and one of them is basically a giant sail (2018 Tahoe rst). I've literally driven it in hurricane conditions going to Florida on vacation and could steer it with one hand without constant adjusment the entire time. I realize its not straight axle but its 2019 and vehicles should have accurate steering that shouldnt require constant input....and before people jump on the solid axle bandwagon I drove an F250 with a straight axle for years with zero steering wander.

...and what is disappointing is that we were able to steer with one finger with 99% of the vehicles on the road until the EPA forced the manufacturers towards electronic steering. Almost every manufacturer that has gone Electric has had massive complaints for the first few years while they figure out the basic function of steering...I've watched it with BMW, Infinite, etc. Its just Jeeps turn for the Wrangler...

Last edited:

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I have no issues with the steering in my 19 Sahara

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Some of you guys crack me up. Driving a manual transmission doesn't condone the use of one handed steering at all times. Not to say that Europeans are better drivers, but if you've ever ridden with Germans on the Autobahn, you'll notice that the only time they take a hand off the wheel is when they shift gears. They don't leave a hand resting on the shift lever. They have much more manual transmissions there than we do in the States and they don't get preoccupied with distractions in the vehicle like we do. When they come here, they just shake their heads at what drivers do in their cars.
Why are you telling me how to drive again?

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I test drove a 2019 Moab and Rubicon today. The steering was better than the 2018 I tested but still not ideal. I noticed wandering on the highway and a dead spot. One handed steering wasnt possible on the freeway or even back roads.

Has anyone been able to achieve "sharp" and or accurate steering on their JL? I dont mind dropping the money on the Yeti /steersmart products if it is going to accomplish accurate steering. Im just wondering if it possible to get accurate tracking even with aftermarket support....

I dont think I would be able to live with the two Jeeps I tested today. I've owned several Jeeps and I dont remember steering/wandering to be as vague in any of my previous Jeeps. In my personal opinion my test drive did not reflect a "Jeep thing" but rather a JL thing...
IMHO, sharp and accurate is not going to happen, I also drive a Civic Si and the difference, is stark.

However, dealer wheels are, as a rule, always overinflated, use the TPMS and check the tire pressure, it is likely over 40 psi. This does make a difference, as has been expounded in many threads here on this forum.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-makes-huge-difference-in-ride-quality.24839/

Also, the electro-hydraulic steering has a time delay, of seemingly 200-300 ms. This will cause the steering to feel.. delayed, because it is. So, yes, you are quite correct about it being a JL thing.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-202#post-586314

The steering boxs on the Jeeps you test drove could very well be bad units, but I would think if you try enough different Jeeps that they cannot all be bad.

Anyway, after airing down to 28 psi, I can drive with one hand on the wheel, for minor course corrections, and with comfort and confidence at 80+ mph on the freeway. Yet, I would not call it precise, accurate, nor sharp... just predictable, steady and straight on a flat if rough road, and sensitive to slight inputs over time. My steering has no dead spot, a hair off center will cause the Jeep to bear off in that direction.... eventually, slowly, and predictably.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
So you're saying I'm doing it wrong driving with my knees so I can eat my Big Mac and text my friends while doing 65 in a 45 on an icy 2 lane road in heavy traffic?
Sponsored