Test drive

Kangarhew

First Name
Rhew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m planning on ordering a JLUR in may, but I am thinking about test driving one this weekend. (I’m telling my wife it’s to make sure that’s what I want) but it’s really just to get behind the wheel of one to cure the itch before I’m able to order mine. But all of the rubicon’s they have on the lot have the 2.0, and I will be getting the 3.6. They do have a Moab that is almost exactly what I want in the rubicon. So should I test drive a rubicon to get the true feel of what I want, even without the 3.6, or drive the Moab? Dumb question I know, but there it is. :facepalm:
Sponsored

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Why not test drive both?

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to, but I won’t be ordering my Jeep from this dealer, and really don’t want to just waste their time for nothing.
I'm sure you wouldn't be the first or last. I look at it as maximizing your time. You are there so it saves you some time and headache going to another dealer even if you know you will be buy at a another location.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I would drive both. Personally, I would try to find a dealership that has a 3.6 Rubicon to try as it will ride different than a Moab.

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I test drive as many and as often. Purchasing a new vehicle is a expensive proposition these days and you really need to be comfortable with the decision.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’d suggest finding a dealership that has a 3.6 Rubicon even if you have to travel to a dealer that isn’t the one closest to you. I also wouldn’t worry about wasting their time. It’s their job to show you the vehicle and make it attractive enough to you to buy it. It’s not different than having your realtor show you 15 homes before you find the one you love and make the largest purchase of your life. A vehicle is the second largest purchase most of is ever make. Also don’t feel guilty for buying somewhere other than where you test drive. I did. There was about a $400 difference. If he wanted me to buy he’d match the best offer I had, I gave him the opportunity and he said he couldn’t (wouldn’t) do it so he didn’t get my business.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I test drove a 2.0L and didn’t really notice the difference in regular street driving. What I’d look for more in the test drive is the seat comfort, visibility steering, handling, ride quality, play with gadgets, etc. If it’s a softtop take the roof down ride around and put it back up. Make it an event.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’m planning on ordering a JLUR in may, but I am thinking about test driving one this weekend. (I’m telling my wife it’s to make sure that’s what I want) but it’s really just to get behind the wheel of one to cure the itch before I’m able to order mine. But all of the rubicon’s they have on the lot have the 2.0, and I will be getting the 3.6. They do have a Moab that is almost exactly what I want in the rubicon. So should I test drive a rubicon to get the true feel of what I want, even without the 3.6, or drive the Moab? Dumb question I know, but there it is. :facepalm:
You’re not wasting their time. Tell them the truth, you want to test drive both. And don’t assume the dealership won’t match whatever the best offer is you find somewhere else. You never know. I also wouldn’t worry about the V6 vs the 4. They’re both good. My preference was for the V6, but I could have gone with the turbo if the other options and color were what I wanted

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I would like to, but I won’t be ordering my Jeep from this dealer, and really don’t want to just waste their time for nothing.
I agree with the consensus...test drive them both. Just be (sort of) up front with the dealer and let them know you won't be doing anything for several months. Don't give them a number or anything, and they won't hound you.

Besides, this is a 40K+ decision...it really doesn't matter how much they feel their time is wasted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kangarhew

Kangarhew

First Name
Rhew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thank you for the replies everyone, I think I will test drive them both, try and get an overall feel for everything. And from what I can tell the closest dealer with a 3.6 rubicon is an hour and 45 minutes away. A little further than I’d like to travel for a test drive.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I would test drive as many as I had time for. I drove like four different Rubicons, a Sahara and a couple Sports before I decided what I wanted. I originally wanted the 6 cylinder but after driving the turbo I liked the feel of it better.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Thank you for the replies everyone, I think I will test drive them both, try and get an overall feel for everything. And from what I can tell the closest dealer with a 3.6 rubicon is an hour and 45 minutes away. A little further than I’d like to travel for a test drive.
One other thought: You should be shopping the dealer as well. If that dealer is customer oriented, you may want to consider someone else.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

ember_season

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Why can't you tell your wife that? Never understand these tricks we have to play with wives when a lot of the times it seems totally unnecessary
Sponsored