Rainy Test Drive - 1st Impressions

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Finally got to test drive at JLUR over the weekend having ordered over a month ago (still in D1...) and I largely concur with most poster's positive impressions of the interior experience, etc, so I won't go into all of that. I did have 2 others in it with me, and had no issue carrying on a conversation at 65 mph+ with folks in the front and back seats, for those interested in road noise without headliners.

That said, I wanted to raise two minor things that I observed driving in the rain:

1) the windshield wiper controls are easy to use and figure out, but when I turned on the rear one, it is LOUD. The dealer thought I was spraying the washer fluid over and over, but it was just the wiper going back and forth. It wasn't scraping on the glass as it was plenty wet out, so I found this odd.

2) when you open the front doors in the rain, a line of water falls directly in to the vehicle on to the floor mat on both sides, instead of running down the A pillars like one would expect. Not a big deal for a jeep with drain holes and all that, I know, but it would seem like it would have been an easy fix to put in a channel to prevent you from getting your pants all wet when you get into it, especially for the daily driver who also has to take it to work every day (or your SO...).

Other than that, I loved it and can't wait to get mine!
Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the rain forest of the West Coast, I've had mine for a few days now and have yet to drive it when it isn't raining!

Haven't noticed anything odd with the rear windshield wipers. I don't normally leave them on but I have used them a bit. Maybe the wiper wasn't fitted properly?

I totally agree with your second point. Definitely a flaw in the design. It doesn't happen all the time, only on downward slopes. I've had other cars do this to me as well, but usually sports cars where style wins over function. And its not just a couple drops, its a full stream of water. I have to learn to stop more abruptly when parking :)

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I live in the rain forest of the West Coast, I've had mine for a few days now and have yet to drive it when it isn't raining!

Haven't noticed anything odd with the rear windshield wipers. I don't normally leave them on but I have used them a bit. Maybe the wiper wasn't fitted properly?

I totally agree with your second point. Definitely a flaw in the design. It doesn't happen all the time, only on downward slopes. I've had other cars do this to me as well, but usually sports cars where style wins over function. And its not just a couple drops, its a full stream of water. I have to learn to stop more abruptly when parking :)
I wonder if a little stopper (acting like a dam) in the front of the rail would stop this? I guess it would make some pooling and the water would take some time to evaporate. But it'll drain as soon as you drive.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have never owned any car where when you opened the door in the rain. A little water didn’t get in from just the door seal alone. What have I been missing?

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
Finally got to test drive at JLUR over the weekend having ordered over a month ago (still in D1...) and I largely concur with most poster's positive impressions of the interior experience, etc, so I won't go into all of that. I did have 2 others in it with me, and had no issue carrying on a conversation at 65 mph+ with folks in the front and back seats, for those interested in road noise without headliners.

That said, I wanted to raise two minor things that I observed driving in the rain:

1) the windshield wiper controls are easy to use and figure out, but when I turned on the rear one, it is LOUD. The dealer thought I was spraying the washer fluid over and over, but it was just the wiper going back and forth. It wasn't scraping on the glass as it was plenty wet out, so I found this odd.

2) when you open the front doors in the rain, a line of water falls directly in to the vehicle on to the floor mat on both sides, instead of running down the A pillars like one would expect. Not a big deal for a jeep with drain holes and all that, I know, but it would seem like it would have been an easy fix to put in a channel to prevent you from getting your pants all wet when you get into it, especially for the daily driver who also has to take it to work every day (or your SO...).

Other than that, I loved it and can't wait to get mine!
do you have a hard top or soft top?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ArmyCrawler

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
This was a hard top. It was dripping from the front of the freedom panels, almost at the apex of the A pillar

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
This was a hard top. It was dripping from the front of the freedom panels, almost at the apex of the A pillar
maybe the soft top would not have this issue. but its still a design flaw.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I hate wipers. Why can't anyone design a system that is silent and works right all the time?

The rear wiper on my new JK is noisy and shudders when not raining really hard. JKs before never had issue.

Electric motor wipers have been on Jeeps since 1973 - plenty of time to get them right by now.

At the 1:20 mark, the new improvements are noted including the electric wipers for 1973.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Is it the same issue the TFL Car guys pointed out in this video? The gutter...pouring water in?

OP
OP
ArmyCrawler

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
yup! exactly that. :headbang:

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

well, that’s no good.

internet jeepnerds, we have an issue!

Jeep Wrangler JL Rainy Test Drive - 1st Impressions {filename}

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Little Silicone at the front of the rail should do the trick...

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have never owned any car where when you opened the door in the rain. A little water didn’t get in from just the door seal alone. What have I been missing?
This isn't a "little water", and like I said I live on the west coast so I have plenty of experience opening car doors in the rain.

Not an end of the world thing and should be good for a giggle when passengers in short skirts get out of the car.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
A few drips is common, sounds like he is getting more.

I am a Viking so I am used to the open air driving of a dragonboat which gets alot of water :O
Sponsored