Sponsored

FCA clarification on 2.0L & 91 octane

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I used Dakota at Lund for my 2014 GT500 and my 2016 GT. The guy is a master.
Yeah, I should have went with Lund when I had my 14’ GT. I have heard good things about his tune. All the Mustang guys get in a pissing match between AED and Lund. Lol
Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I picked up my Jeep late December in North Carolina. The temps were in the upper 30s lower 40s for the drive home.

It was a mix of interstate, highway, and city driving. On the interstate I kept it around 75. I did notice that it would shift to a lower gear on inclines much more on the 87 octane tank.

From my experience the engine just felt much happier with the higher octane.
So strange...I'm in NY/NJ, same temps, nearly all highway driving at 70ish and not really noticing a difference in the regular vs premium octane. Just consitently around 20.5

OP
OP
Fastmover

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So strange...I'm in NY/NJ, same temps, nearly all highway driving at 70ish and not really noticing a difference in the regular vs premium octane. Just consitently around 20.5
It could be prevailing winds, uphill vs downhill vs flat, # of times passing, etc, etc, etc.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Can someone help me understand the mindset of someone who buys a new Wrangler for tens and tens of thousands of dollars, and I assume selects the 2.0 for the power characteristics to ultimately run a lower octane gas that FCA states will get optimal performance on premium? If you read their statement, it will always achieve optimal performance on premium fuel.
Simple, just because it can make a small difference in dyno numbers (have yet to see proof of that) doesn't mean that its noticable when driving under normal conditions. I tried a few tanks of 91/93 and noticed no real difference in mileage or performance on the "butt dyno". I burn 125gal/month and the price difference is >$60/month.. Yea, I'll stick with 87..

Sponsored

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
Sadly there is little value here. No reliable repeatable data on mpg or hp differences. One or two vehicles doesn’t prove anything. People will usually resort to conformational bias anyway regardless of any “proof” offered. Just like vehicle break-in and oil changes, everyone knows what is best.

Bottom line - do whatever you want, it’s your Jeep.

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLR
I run 87 in my 2018 JLU 2.0T and on my last trip, at sea level, recorded 27mpg using fuelly. No problems. I only fill up with premium when driving in the mountains at high altitude.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
No I did not. Just saying you can run regular for half the year if you wish with no appreciable power loss.

Just saying we don't have to stick to premium all year to achieve optimal power gain.

Next time I won't bother to share any intriguing info I find.
Your "optimal power gain" statement is categorically false even by FCA's own addendum. You lose the same power in the winter, their argument is that it will only be noticeable under high demand. Ever pull a steep grade in the winter? Need to accelerate quickly on an on ramp? Find yourself needing serious wheel speed in deep mud or snow? I'll stick with 91 year round, better to have and not need than need and not have.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I got that same card with my manual. I've tried 91 and 87 on multiple tanks and there was no difference that I could notice, this past summer. Fuel econ was always around 21-22 mpg in the city. I am sticking with 87 now since I can't tell any difference, between the fuels and where I am it's close to $20 difference to fill up with premium.

There are quite a few dynos online showing the differences when using premium vs regular on turbo and non turbo engines. Usually the difference in power is about 5%.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I got that same card with my manual. I've tried 91 and 87 on multiple tanks and there was no difference that I could notice, this past summer. Fuel econ was always around 21-22 mpg in the city. I am sticking with 87 now since I can't tell any difference, between the fuels and where I am it's close to $20 difference to fill up with premium.

There are quite a few dynos online showing the differences when using premium vs regular on turbo and non turbo engines. Usually the difference in power is about 5%.
Where do you live that they charge an extra dollar a gallon for premium? We only have 21 gallon tanks and most places I've ever been it's an extra 20-40 cents a gallon for premium. Even bone dry your talking less than $9/ tank. I'll stick with the peace of mind of running the recommended fuel and one less thing to worry about.

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Where do you live that they charge an extra dollar a gallon for premium? We only have 21 gallon tanks and most places I've ever been it's an extra 20-40 cents a gallon for premium. Even bone dry your talking less than $9/ tank. I'll stick with the peace of mind of running the recommended fuel and one less thing to worry about.
Canada.

Gas station by my house this morning: $3.59/gallon regular, $4.53/gallon for premium.

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Currently in Massachusetts, the spread from regular to premium is .65-.85 a gallon.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Currently in Massachusetts, the spread from regular to premium is .65-.85 a gallon.
About $0.60 per gallon more in Indiana which is about a 25% increase over 87 octane. Some areas of the US have premium without ethanol. That will probably give 5% better mileage.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Non-ethanol 91 is available here, in Central NY. Performance and mpg are excellent, consistently in the high 20s., worth the extra $ per gallon, for my use
Sponsored