Sponsored

87 or 91+ octane?

NJbeachbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
My last car was a WRX, and I’m used to always getting 93 octane when I gassed up. What are you all using in your 2.0L Turbos?
I’m leaning towards 91 or higher, but curious to hear others thoughts…
Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
93 all but once on my 72k miles. Got a CEL that week. Switched back to 91+ no CEL. I have seen members on here swear by 87 could just be gas in my location + elevation.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The owners manual on my 20 states the engine is designed to run on 87 octane., with higher octane recommended for maximum performance. Mine from the dealership has never had anything other than 87, runs great, gets very good mileage (esp for a Jeep) and has all the performance I want or need. I have no intention of running anything else, period. The oil folks make enough per gallon at best. anything above what an engine is designed to run on is basically a waste. Yea, I know folks say the get more power, better mpg’s etc on 93, but I truly wonder if that’s real or placebo effect. IF I was having any issue with knocking or similar I “might” try something different. Certainly if the owners manual requires 91 or 93 that’s what you should run, however with the Jeep it is NOT a factory requirement. Certainly the engineers that designed the thing should know what fuel is required. I will NEVER again buy any vehicle that requires high octane fuel. YMMV

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I've been using 91. No complaints.

Sponsored

jrap

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport, 2016 Ram 1500, 2019 Harley RGU
Have a 2019 2.0 Etorque, tried all fuel grades (87, 91, 93) in the first couple months of ownership, couldn't tell any real difference in performance or MPG's. Book says 87 is OK, so why would I put in anything more expensive in it? It's been over 2 years, love the jeep, not a thing ever wrong with it!

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Either way works. If you notice the fuel economy or performance, and it's worth it to you, go for it. If not, that's just as fine too. Everyone's a special pony. Everyone's a winner unless they're spoiling for that unique fight where the world is wrong yet they know better.

And now the obligatory cut-and-paste from the manual:

Jeep Wrangler JL 87 or 91+ octane? 1647046571180

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

It's like this forum reads minds. I just filled up today, and I initially thought that you can only use 91 octane in the engine, but then I just read the manual, and you can use 87. I also read that 91 can improve fuel efficiency, and it's best used in hot weather and towing or carrying heavy weight. I think I'll go with 87 in my next fill up. I'm in a 4xe btw.

Oil change will still be much more important than fuel type in this case.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The computer adjusts automatically for lower octane fuels by retarding timing which reduces power output period. How much power you're leaving on the table isn't certain, but Mazda rates the 2.5t at 227hp/270ftlbs on 87 and 250hp/310ftlbs on 93. With similar outputs from our 2.0t I'd say the results should be similar. Do you need the extra 23hp/40ftlbs? Maybe not. Would it be noticeable in anything short of an all out acceleration run? Probably not. Is it worth a couple dollars per tank of fuel? To me it absolutely is. People spend far more on cold air intakes with nowhere near those gains. We have always run premium, even before the tune. It's mandatory now with the tune, but we picked up 2 mpg with the superchips td3 so now it's 100% worth it.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Service advisor at the Fort Collins Jeep dealership told me "Do not use 91 octane. You should be using 85 octane"
My service advisor tried to convince me that our 2019 with etorque had the 12v auxiliary battery under the fuse panel, so I'd say they are the last people I'd take advice from.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Service advisor at the Fort Collins Jeep dealership told me "Do not use 91 octane. You should be using 85 octane"
"I was told down at the performance shop that I needed then to install a JB4 tuner so that I can start taking advantage of that Avgas 100 that's available just down the road at the municpal airport. His cousin Bob could help set me up with a discounted commercial account, but I wasn't so sure."

"I told the man that I could fill my Wrangler up with leaded gasoline for all I cared, and that's when he slapped me in the mouth and told me to leave. Ever since then I've let the children press whatever buttons they want and I just fill up with whatever I happened to get that day. I swear my mileage actually increased by an average of 3% since that day. I should probably ask them what they're using."

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

The computer adjusts automatically for lower octane fuels by retarding timing which reduces power output period. How much power you're leaving on the table isn't certain, but Mazda rates the 2.5t at 227hp/270ftlbs on 87 and 250hp/310ftlbs on 93. With similar outputs from our 2.0t I'd say the results should be similar. Do you need the extra 23hp/40ftlbs? Maybe not. Would it be noticeable in anything short of an all out acceleration run? Probably not. Is it worth a couple dollars per tank of fuel? To me it absolutely is. People spend far more on cold air intakes with nowhere near those gains. We have always run premium, even before the tune. It's mandatory now with the tune, but we picked up 2 mpg with the superchips td3 so now it's 100% worth it.
The Wrangler manual said you can use 87, but 91+ is preferred for performance and even better mpg. The 4xe manual only recommends 87.
Sponsored