Factory Steel Bumper warning

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I just removed my end caps last night and several of the bolts were incredibly difficult. Someone several posts up did post images about loosening bolts 1&2... I was unaware because of course I didn’t read the manual.. wondering if that would have somehow made the tight bolts easier?
Clearly you did not heed the warning issued in title and spoken about in post #1!
Sponsored

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
It's a cross threaded thread.
So in this logic of it’s in the manual and there are pictures and I as the owner can do it. The dealer should cover my f#ck ups.
Ok who wants to try this one?

Get up to 65 mph.push the clutch in. Coast awhile. Move to gear shift thingy to “R” (picture of shift pattern in manual) and let clutch out. Would this be covered?

Not sure about the Automatic as it automatically keeps you from doing stupid stuff. But because of the automatic feature all owner caused damage is covered for only those Jeeps with automatics. The stupid stuff owners do in those otherJeeps has to be manually checked out by the dealer.

Get with the program will ya?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If I'd paid $55k for my jeep I'd be very unhappy... fortunately I only paid about $42k for fully loaded Rubi and still think that was probably $10k too much lol.

Sponsored

Brian1022

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Liberty (formerly), 2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
If I'd paid $55k for my jeep I'd be very unhappy... fortunately I only paid about $42k for fully loaded Rubi and still think that was probably $10k too much lol.
I came here because I thought it was along the lines of the rear OEM steel bumper sometimes hitting the tub when coming down off a rock hard in some situations......boy was I wrong.

I hear what you are saying and I do agree. It's not about the cost to me as much as it's a newly built item, I expect things to be done right. I am a systems engineer and my products I ship are expected to be 100% fully functional with no scratches, dents, cross threads, wrong/missing hardware, the list goes on and on. On this scale 100% seems lofty, but is it? He may be the only one cross threaded in the 2020 lineup, maybe not. I don't have the data. Even if he (or I) was the only one with the issue, I can understand some frustration.

I have used a torx that was not quite the right size more than once, and it works for lower torque applications.
Order of operation of installing or removing multiple bolts is a thing. It happens when an assembly is over constrained. Is it better to avoid? Sure, but it's not always feasible.
I also agree that more power is not always the answer!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I came here because I thought it was along the lines of the rear OEM steel bumper sometimes hitting the tub when coming down off a rock hard in some situations......boy was I wrong.

I hear what you are saying and I do agree. It's not about the cost to me as much as it's a newly built item, I expect things to be done right. I am a systems engineer and my products I ship are expected to be 100% fully functional with no scratches, dents, cross threads, wrong/missing hardware, the list goes on and on. On this scale 100% seems lofty, but is it? He may be the only one cross threaded in the 2020 lineup, maybe not. I don't have the data. Even if he (or I) was the only one with the issue, I can understand some frustration.

I have used a torx that was not quite the right size more than once, and it works for lower torque applications.
Order of operation of installing or removing multiple bolts is a thing. It happens when an assembly is over constrained. Is it better to avoid? Sure, but it's not always feasible.
I also agree that more power is not always the answer!
Oh I understand completely.. I removed the bumper ends 10 mins after the jeep home and yes.. not the best threading. My front is all jacked up now so I'll have to replace it but the regular would have NEVER held up to the abuse I've given the steel.. worthy upgrade imo.

Brian1022

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Liberty (formerly), 2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Oh I understand completely.. I removed the bumper ends 10 mins after the jeep home and yes.. not the best threading. My front is all jacked up now so I'll have to replace it but the regular would have NEVER held up to the abuse I've given the steel.. worthy upgrade imo.
You waited that long? :LOL: I'll be in the same boat, and if I pick it up on a moderately decent or better day, the top and doors won't be far behind

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
That was Daimler; you now have a Fiat.
Began to ponder the progression: Logically, Reliant motors is next in line to take over Chrysler. They'll be dropping the 4WD thing. Hence ending the end cap issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper warning 1949Wyllis

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper warning 1949Reliant

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
They have blue locktite on them as well to keep them fastened which makes removing them the first time more difficult. After 10 or so times on and off the locktite isn't an issue anymore. Of course that 10 or so times is not the bumper ends on my jeep, it's the entire bumper as I took it on and off to fabricate/fit/build the custom features on it. Now it's a not so factory factory bumper - one of a kind!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Began to ponder the progression: Logically, Reliant motors is next in line to take over Chrysler. They'll be dropping the 4WD thing.

I've been wondering what's next for Jeep.. they seem to be having some problems and the Bronco release won't help. Putting a 6.4 hemi in the jeep doesn't seem logical nor electric.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They have blue locktite on them as well to keep them fastened which makes removing them the first time more difficult. After 10 or so times on and off the locktite isn't an issue anymore. Of course that 10 or so times is not the bumper ends on my jeep, it's the entire bumper as I took it on and off to fabricate/fit/build the custom features on it. Now it's a not so factory factory bumper - one of a kind!
THIS.. now I remember.. they were blue loktite.. any time you encounter loktite. you loosen/tighten/loosen/tighten. that's how I got em off.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Scratched the powder coat on the steel bumper????? WTF didn't you buy jeep with a steel bumper because you might scratch up your jeep off roading? They make flat black spray paint for that. Ill remove my own end caps when i rock crawl and if i scratch my bumper then so what. Like i'm real worried about scratching my bumper.

Where’s that flat black paint? I have steel bumper and would love that
Sponsored