Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I'm sure I am opening a can of worms for discussion on this, but what the hell. I see a lot of people on the forum and when I'm out and about that change there front bumper or stay with the plastic one. What do people have against the factory steel bumper? I have one, and have a stinger, and my winch mounted to it. I love mine. Plus you can make it into a stubby if you want. I see a lot of after market ones, and the are huge. I know everyone has different tastes. Just wondering why people order a loaded up Rubicon, and don't want the factory steel bumpers.
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Love the front. The rear one is to flimsy.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Love the front. The rear one is to flimsy.
Same here. Back steel sucks but knew that going in. Just pulled the trigger on a
"JL Wrangler Crawler "Narrow Width" Rear Bumper, BPC SKU: 6942 last night" Metalcloak | Jeep Suspension | Jeep Fenders | Jeep Bumpers | Jeep Parts & Accessories

@jellis4148 here is a thread about the rear and I am told there are more: KNOWN issue with stock steel bumper causing damage to body when it flexes into it. | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

FYI, keeping the front in stubby form!

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate newspot2

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I have seen lost of people look to purchase the steel stock bumpers, so they can't be that bad. :)

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I have seen lost of people look to purchase the steel stock bumpers, so they can't be that bad. :)
Look at the damage which occurs on hits from beneath on the rear bumper in the videos in the above linked thread. The rear really does not protect the tub well. When I take mine off (soon) I hope I do not see the same damage.

Sponsored

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I love the front steel. I put Baja designs Amber fogs in, I have my winch on its way and the winch plate just got here. The rear is a different story. I would def keep the rear if it didn't flex and cause damage to the body. I'm on the hunt for an aluminum rear that will clear my 37" spare on the Mopar oversize tire carrier.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate PXL_20211202_172914619

Chris-AZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
I have a new 392 and will be replacing the front bumper in the next couple weeks. In Gilbert AZ if anyone is interested in buying it. I went with a Rock Hard 4x4 front bumper for ease of flat towing attachment. Undecided on the rear, Initially running 37's. Would like more fuel. Several options out there but not sure what is best. I go very remote places to camp (in Baja) and would really like at least 15 gal extra fuel. Don't want fuel on side of body or inside so it pretty much needs to be on or in the rear bumper.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got a front Mopar bumper for my Sahara; I wanted to retain the factory look. I didn’t bother replacing the rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate 4EA9A777-E896-4A72-9AA5-D5672027AC3E

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Have my steel bumpers on order for my 4xe. Had them on my previous Rubi and they did great.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate F4B36E41-1F8B-49B3-8941-F02CE67CAB50

We bought off the lot, so steel bumpers were part of the deal. As many have said, the rear is flimsy. For the $1745 price, much better aftermarket bumpers are readily available. If you want to make the front truly off road friendly you need a winch plate ~$100-200. Closed loop pull points $150-300. Some sort of hoop/bull bar ~$150-350. For the cost of those accessories alone you can buy a quality front bumper with integrated winch plate and tow points. The rear should be replaced with something stronger, and if you’re going to run oversized tires you may as well integrate a swing out tire carrier to the build. It makes no sense to go the route we did in hindsight. Mopar hinge gate reinforcement, $650. Spare tire relocation bracket $150. Winch plate $150. Mopar steel bumpers $1750. We are $2,700 in to a tailgate mounted 37” tire that is pushing the limit for durability, a weak rear bumper, and A front bumper with open hooks that I don’t want to use in a kinetic recovery scenario.
Meanwhile the aftermarket kills Mopar in price, durability, and features.
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate 06C8FA10-075F-4AB0-B796-ACB950EDA3CF

$300 front bumper with winch mount and real recovery points
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate B99B8AFE-80B8-47EB-9B52-4DE47A360DEA

$700 front bumper with hoop, winch plate, and recovery points and name brand recognition
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate B3AE407E-A6F7-4320-985B-BCEAD22126B4

$950 rear bumper with oversized tire carrier, receiver hitch, better back up lighting, real recovery points, license plate relocation, more clearance, and a massive strength improvement over stock.

With the cheaper front bumper, for less than the cost of the Mopar thin, basic, marginally functional steel bumpers you can do much better aftermarket.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t mind the look of the stock steel bumper, but I knew I wanted LOD on all four sides, so I didn’t even consider it, especially in the rear……… just personal preference nothing more…….

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate A70D5902-52C0-4B70-AD74-1A127B66E703
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper Love/Hate D8281635-8B7F-45A2-809C-D7FFA75AFB1E

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I had ordered my Ruby with plastic bumpers but changed my mind at the last moment because I wanted ARB bumpers but could not find ARB or any other after marker bumpers that handled the sensors well. Most companies offered a template to drill your own and I did not want to deal with that. Love the front factory stubby. A little small but looks OK.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I agree on the rear bumper, and I've been looking at options to replace it. Main question was for the front.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have the steel bumpers and like them but one of these days I’m going to remove the rear bumper mounting brackets and remake them with thicker steel in an attempt to ward off the body damage from flexing.

Hainliner

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I have a new 392 and will be replacing the front bumper in the next couple weeks. In Gilbert AZ if anyone is interested in buying it. I went with a Rock Hard 4x4 front bumper for ease of flat towing attachment. Undecided on the rear, Initially running 37's. Would like more fuel. Several options out there but not sure what is best. I go very remote places to camp (in Baja) and would really like at least 15 gal extra fuel. Don't want fuel on side of body or inside so it pretty much needs to be on or in the rear bumper.
I'd be interested in your front bumper. What do you think shipped to WA state?
Sponsored