Extended Warranty

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The aforelinked site shows increasing rates after every 1yr/12K mi. I got mine out of the way so I can forget about it and before the 01 May price increase.
Have they announced a pricing increase?
Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I hear what you’re saying, but there’s a reason companies offer extended warranties. On the aggregate, providers don’t lose ANY money … in fact, it’s a HUGE revenue generator. That’s truth. Mostly, the purchaser is buying “peace of mind,” and that’s fine if it works for them. Looking at it another way, you’re paying them money and betting the car will break, and they’re betting that it won’t. They have stacks of statistical data that suggests they are right. That’s why they offer them.
I get your point, and I agree that they need to make a profit or they wouldn’t be selling them!! But if you owned a jeep over the past decade the consumer has had better odds vs the manufacturer, I can’t speak for my 22 yet, but since I went diesel I wasn’t about to get caught with my pants down for a bit over the $ 1 K to get an extended warranty on a $ 60 K vehicle

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
And if so can I buy 1 prematurely for my not yet built Gobi JLR? I have a VIN :D
Tom Winkels confirmed the upcoming price increase. Locked-in my price today.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I hear what you’re saying, but there’s a reason companies offer extended warranties. On the aggregate, providers don’t lose ANY money … in fact, it’s a HUGE revenue generator. That’s truth. Mostly, the purchaser is buying “peace of mind,” and that’s fine if it works for them. Looking at it another way, you’re paying them money and betting the car will break, and they’re betting that it won’t. They have stacks of statistical data that suggests they are right. That’s why they offer them.
Yes and no… I have the Mopar lifetime warranty policy on my 2013 JKR. The Factory lost their shirt on this one, therefore it is no longer offered. So there is a risk factor on both sides. But having the piece of mind, also has a value.

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
It's not a zero-sum game; both parties (the individual and the insurance company) can both benefit.

The risk (and the cost) is spread over a large population, so the highs (expensive repairs) are mitigated for a higher low (premiums).

wyomonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S (pending) 2013 Dodge Charger
I have been researching a lot into buying a new Jeep, and new vehicles in general over the past few months in preparation for ordering my Jeep. If you haven't heard of the YAA community, it is definitely worth checking out. They do have some pay for use parts of their website, but they also offer a lot of free advice and information about the car business, including YouTube videos and online calculators, etc. They also offer an extended warranty at a flat rate without a bunch of mark-up and/or negotiation attached to it. For a 2022 Wrangler Unlimited with 0-12,000 miles, 10 years, 100,000 miles, 100 deductible, they are quoting 1662.00.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad, I am in no way affiliated with them, I just feel like they offer a fair product that isn't laden with self-interest.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
I have been researching a lot into buying a new Jeep, and new vehicles in general over the past few months in preparation for ordering my Jeep. If you haven't heard of the YAA community, it is definitely worth checking out. They do have some pay for use parts of their website, but they also offer a lot of free advice and information about the car business, including YouTube videos and online calculators, etc. They also offer an extended warranty at a flat rate without a bunch of mark-up and/or negotiation attached to it. For a 2022 Wrangler Unlimited with 0-12,000 miles, 10 years, 100,000 miles, 100 deductible, they are quoting 1662.00.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad, I am in no way affiliated with them, I just feel like they offer a fair product that isn't laden with self-interest.
Be careful about a 3rd party extended warranty. My dealer pulled a quick one on me when I asked for the max care mopar warranty and they sold me a 3rd party vehicle protection plan instead. Read the fine print. It was not the same as the mopar. The work could only be done at the dealership that sold it and there were a few other oddities to it. Luckily I caught it and canceled it. And Yes, I will never buy from my local dealer again because this was only 1 of the many shenanigans they played. It's York Automotive in Crawfordsville Indiana.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
The YAA one has more options (any ASE mechanic) vs the Mopar one (only dealers).

I already have the Mopar Max Care; I didn't even think to check YAA first.

Despite that--and being $900 more--I'll stick with the Mopar one...'cos shenanigans.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.

Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Most 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper that they are written on..be carefull..

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Started with the Mopar extended warranty. Cancelled it shortly after I got it. Upon reading finer print if anything happened it would most likely be voided anyways. Could only have Mopar aftermarket parts on the jeep. Couldn’t go bigger than 2” larger than the tire size the jeep came with. All work had to be done at an authorized shop.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you wait closer to your original manufacture warranty is about to expire you’ll be quoted a higher premium, extended warranty start from vehicle in service date regardless of when you purchase the extended warranty, so ultimately waiting will only cost you more money, also extended warranty plan can be purchased as money back guarantee plan which will cost you probably a few hundred more overall but if you file no claims during the entire coverage period they will issue a refund at policy end right back to you!!

You can also get a quick quote here and use promotional code PAYINFULL to get a $ 365 discount https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/default.aspx
Thank you so much for the link.

I just purchased, yesterday, the 8yr/85K plan with a $200 deductible for just a hair over 1K.
I went with the $200 deduct because it's $215 less than the $100 deduct. This way I would have to use the extended warranty 3 times before it would cost me more than the $100 deduct plan. Since I hope to never use it, I'm betting on that I won't have to use it 3 times. If I do end up using it more, that just means the whole plan is paying for itself anyway.

And for all the nay sayers, I'm glad life has brought you good fortune and good luck. Unfortunately, for the rest of us poor schmucks, it does't always work out so perfectly for us. I got the lifetime max care warranty on my '15 GC WK2 (last year it was offered). It's the first time I have ever bought an extended warranty because it was the most expensive and technologically advanced vehicle I have ever bought, and I plan on keeping It for a long time. It just so happened, that very shortly after the factory warranty ran out, the radiator developed a leak. Dealer said it was going to be a $1000 repair, unless I had some kind of max care plan. I told them I did, and they took care of the rest. I didn't even have to give them the policy info, they just looked it up. Only cost me $100 deductible, and was the easiest process. No fighting, crying or whining.

These vehicles are so expensive these days and parts and labor are getting more costly everyday. If anything goes wrong, it's not hard to get to a $1K repair bill. The extended warranty is also kinda like fighting inflation. 8 years from now, any minor repair might cost $2k, but not for me, it's still going to be the same $200 deduct.

I know it's all a guessing/gambling game, but it does give me a little more peace of mind, which allows me to relax a little more and enjoy driving my jeep just a little more. Jeep is pumping these things out as fast as they can these days, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few issues here and there. They are also trying to lighten them up as much as possible, which means they may cut a little too much out here and there and have some durability issues.

My point is, don't let someone shame you into not getting an extended warranty, if it suits your situation. And the same goes for the other side of that coin, don't let someone (like a dealer, or me) push you into something you just don't want or believe in.

Just do what works best for you and your situation, and know that there are plenty of us out there going thru the same struggles of making the same decision, knowing that there is no guarantee one way or the other of what will happen in the future.

I can say this: Getting the 8yr/85K max care plan with $200 deduct. for right at $1k is a good deal if you are going to be purchasing an extended warranty.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I admit. I'm totally lost and out of my element here.

I've still got my factory warranty on a 2021 JLUR with 8k miles, and I'm looking to extend my coverage. I understand, well, absolutely nothing when it comes to extended warranties and what my choices are. What choices should I be looking at from where? It sounds like the Mopar extended warranty is already too restrictive to fit my needs.

I have this belief that I want some vehicle warranty that's Jeep/Wrangler specific (as opposed to "Car Shield" or something generic)? Although I don't really know why. And I don't know who I should be buying these from (or if my local dealer is going to treat things differently based upon who's backing the policy).

And is there any real advantage in getting the extended warranty from the same dealer who sold you the vehicle and will be doing the work, or does it not matter?

So many questions, I know!

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And is there any real advantage in getting the extended warranty from the same dealer who sold you the vehicle and will be doing the work, or does it not matter?
The warranty work I had done on my GC radiator was a different dealer than the one I bought the jeep and the warranty from. So, I would say, for at least the max care products and the dealers I have worked with, it made absolutely no difference.
Sponsored