Experienced my first Death Wobble

05blackmax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK,2022 JL
I just did the fox steering stabilizer it said to make sure to stroke it in and out a minimum of 5 times.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just did the fox steering stabilizer it said to make sure to stroke it in and out a minimum of 5 times.
Interesting. I just re-read the instructions. It didn't say anything about that. I wonder if turning the steering wheel fully left and right would achieve the same result?

05blackmax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK,2022 JL
Installer Note : Before installing the steering damper to the vehicle, it is important to prime the new damper with 5 continuous compression – extension stroke cycles by hand (each cycle consists of a full compression and a full extension stroke, without stops as fast as possible)

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Interesting. I just re-read the instructions. It didn't say anything about that. I wonder if turning the steering wheel fully left and right would achieve the same result?
Not your cause. You have something worn out. The TS design of the SS is putting more stress on that worn part. Once you have DW once you can and do have more wear on the parts. Did you install the SS in the stock location or with the clamp?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Not your cause. You have something worn out. The TS design of the SS is putting more stress on that worn part. Once you have DW once you can and do have more wear on the parts. Did you install the SS in the stock location or with the clamp?
I installed it with the axle bracket that came with it (if that's what you're referring to as the clamp?). I did what the instructions told me to.

Here are the instructions that came with it: https://pvg-portal.ridefox.com/_con...23.1785405173.1663880953-889127186.1663880953

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I installed it with the axle bracket that came with it (if that's what you're referring to as the clamp?). I did what the instructions told me to.

Here are the instructions that came with it: https://pvg-portal.ridefox.com/_con...23.1785405173.1663880953-889127186.1663880953
I should have been more specific, in the stock location? or attached to the track bar with the JK fox version or synergy clamp? Sounds like stock tho. you have something worn out. Probably TREs or ball joints. But maybe track bar is loose or worn.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Please let us know how this plays out as I was considering that next after a recent lift/tire install.
Very difficult to believe that the new SS isn't 100% the cause with the timing but these guys know a lot on this forum so let it play out and we'll get the answer
I would certainly do that prime thing though for sure even if it means taking it off again
Good Luck on this one 👍

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Please let us know how this plays out as I was considering that next after a recent lift/tire install.
Very difficult to believe that the new SS isn't 100% the cause with the timing but these guys know a lot on this forum so let it play out and we'll get the answer
I would certainly do that prime thing though for sure even if it means taking it off again
Good Luck on this one 👍
Steering stabilizers don’t cause death wobble.

Sponsored

Moose568

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I had my first one last week and it scared the crap out of me. I got home and got under the Jeep as my wife rocked the steering wheel. Turns out that the lower bolt on the Track Bar was loose. Tightened it up and good to go. Pretty sad as I have less than 3000 miles on it with a dealer installed Mopar lift.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I had my first one last week and it scared the crap out of me. I got home and got under the Jeep as my wife rocked the steering wheel. Turns out that the lower bolt on the Track Bar was loose. Tightened it up and good to go. Pretty sad as I have less than 3000 miles on it with a dealer installed Mopar lift.
I think a loose track bar is the #1 culprit. But I have chased DW all over the front suspension before. Glad you were able to stop yours quickly.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

No expert here but I can see how installing a new ‘stiffer’ steering stabilizer could exasperate an issue elsewhere. Worn or loose component is my guess.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
99% chance that you didn't tighten the trackbar bolt that comes with the Fox 2.0 TS stabilizer/relocation bracket OR that you didn't tighten the clamp on the tierod tight enough.

Have someone wiggle the steering wheel hard side to side and watch what is moving.

If you want to know the 1%, that would be a defective stabilizer. Pull it off and check that there is enough force to move it by hand.

Tallguy26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had death wobble appear after I installed a lift kit. I found the ball joints in my drag link were worn out. Mine appeared the day I swapped my steering stabilizer out and installed a steer smarts sector shaft brace.
Sponsored