First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just had my first ever death wobble while driving out for lunch. Went over a manhole and everything just started to shake violently so I had to pull over to the side to get it to stop. I have a 2019 JLU Rubicon that I've owned since Nov 2018. I lifted it with the 2" Mopar lift kit back in Sept 2019. No issues or whatsoever up until today. The only difference was that I just installed a Fox 2.0 TS steering stabilizer last night. Now my question is could it actually be the new steering stabilizer itself? I've heard of people saying that steering stabilizer often masks the death wobble issue so could it have been the OEM stabilizer masking the issue? I would be surprised because I would assume an aftermarket stabilizer would stronger and thus mask the death wobble issue even better.

What's the next step I should take to figure this out? Should I ask Fox for a replacement unit?

TIA!
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first ever death wobble while driving out for lunch. Went over a manhole and everything just started to shake violently so I had to pull over to the side to get it to stop. I have a 2019 JLU Rubicon that I've owned since Nov 2018. I lifted it with the 2" Mopar lift kit back in Sept 2019. No issues or whatsoever up until today. The only difference was that I just installed a Fox 2.0 TS steering stabilizer last night. Now my question is could it actually be the new steering stabilizer itself? I've heard of people saying that steering stabilizer often masks the death wobble issue so could it have been the OEM stabilizer masking the issue? I would be surprised because I would assume an aftermarket stabilizer would stronger and thus mask the death wobble issue even better.

What's the next step I should take to figure this out? Should I ask Fox for a replacement unit?

TIA!
How many miles?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Any other parts added when you did the lift, or only parts in wood box ?
Adjustable track bar for the front. Everything else was out of the wood box.

edit: also bought different coil spring correction pads to avoid the bowing issue the kit had back then.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Adjustable track bar for the front.
Bingo - We have a winner!
That would be the first thing I’d check. @Roky will have more suggestions I’m sure.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable track bar. Everything else was out of the wood box.
With that many miles, you need to start checking things off the list, I’d start with the track bar. Lay under while someone turns steering wheel back and forth, watch the track bar at both ends look for any lateral movement… do the same with tie rod and drag link….if all is solid then jack up the wheel ( do both sides) an inch or so and put pry bar under the tire see if there’s any movement up and down…..my guess is that the stabilizer being firmer it’s not playing as nicely as the old worn one…… I doubt the stabilizer is causing DW itself, it’s just ratting something else out…..

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
With that many miles, you need to start checking things off the list, I’d start with the track bar. Lay under while someone turns steering wheel back and forth, watch the track bar at both ends look for any lateral movement… do the same with tie rod and drag link….if all is solid then jack up the wheel ( do both sides) an inch or so and put pry bar under the tire see if there’s any movement up and down…..my guess is that the stabilizer being firmer it’s not playing as nicely as the old worn one…… I doubt the stabilizer is causing DW itself, it’s just ratting something else out…..
Thank you for the pointers! I guess I'll have a busy weekend coming up. Once I go through everything you listed, I'll report the findings.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the pointers! I guess I'll have a busy weekend coming up. Once I go through everything you list, I'll report the findings.
If none of that is the cause, you’ll have to drive it down here so I can put hands on it…..😁

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Also, check very bolt to see if any are loose

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Did you rotate tires? I have had an out of round / balance tire that when it rotated around to the front triggered the death wobble. Check your track bar and ball joints too.

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you stroke the fox steering stabilizer 5 times before install?
I did not. I don't recall reading that in the manual.

Did you rotate tires? I have had an out of round / balance tire that when it rotated around to the front triggered the death wobble. Check your track bar and ball joints too.
Rotated the tires about 3-4 months ago.
Sponsored