DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The bubbles in the Sunoco sample are now gone. I'd say 7 to 8% ethanol. Certainly there is more than we saw with the Shell regular 87. I'll call it close to 7.5% vs. approximately 6% for Shell. give or take 0.5%.

For closer comparison, see for yourself. The Sunoco is first, followed by the Shell. It is close, but for certain there is more ethanol in the Sunoco gas. Both started out with the exact same amount of water and fuel, as measured by the laser etched lines on the tube.
kxWUtNy.jpg

mZNbp87.jpg
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It would be worth checking. Your area almost surely gets gas from a different refinery, and possibly the Michigan area does, as well. In our area, all the gas comes from the same refinery and distributor, so the base gas is probably the same with ethanol percentage. I'm going to try and get enough samples to see if this holds true, but even if it doesn't, it could still be variation in batches. Where the brands will differ is in their additive packages. Shell, for example, has a proprietary additive pack that is only found in their gasoline. Others will use pre-packaged additive packs provided by the distributor. Some (back to an old topic) are standard for meeting Top Tier specs, some are the EPA minimum, and others, like Mobil, can also have their own proprietary packs added. I'm hypothesizing that the ethanol content stays the same in each batch of gas, no matter the brand. We shall see soon, though. I'm going to try and test Sunoco regular next, and then others as the weeks go by. I'll eventually get around to Mobil, BP, Phillips 66 and Countrymark. I may try a non Top-Tier brand at some point out of curiosity. That'll likely be Speedway and later, Kroger or Walmart (Murphy). Stay tuned! I'll try and do one this weekend!
I know you have Shell V-Power on your list. Please shoot me a message when you have tested it.

Thanks
Curtis

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ran a second test after thoroughly cleaning the test tube (it was clean before) and rinsing it with the Sunoco gas and saw the same result, including the bubbling. It will be interesting to see if any other brands do that, as well, and if they do, which others don't.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah , I havent touched the average mpg reset button since we took delivery of our jeep and it hovers between 27.8 and 29 mpg's. I expect a big change this winter when I put different tread on and temps drop into the single digits . I really should just chase bonefish in the Keys and get the f#@k out of here
Gulf water temp is in the low 90s right now.

Sponsored

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Interesting video. What the reporter left out, is Top Tier fuels have better than the minimum EPA detergent requirements, and she basically proved that with the testing lab. Shell, Exon, BP, all top tier. Speedway is not. Here's a link for more info...https://toptiergas.com/toptier_detergent_gasoline/

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Very good info. I have just tried Shell V-Power at 93 Octane. That tested highest at 31.3 I only paid 10 cents more than Kroger 93 Octane. Cost 1.70 more for a full tank.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
In the Top Tier fuel thread, I mentioned I would get an ethanol test kit. Well, it came, so I filled a gas can with some Shell regular 87 octane gas and tested it tonight.

I had heard that it is now typical for fuel not to have the advertised level of ethanol in it because gasoline is cheaper. I had even heard of E85 being more like E70, or 70% ethanol instead of the advertised 85%. The funny thing was seeing someone say they felt cheated, not realizing that they were getting the better end of the bargain with more gasoline in the mix, which has more btu's, and thus, more power and fuel economy.

Anyway, I tested the Shell gas from a station that I frequent about 30% of the time when I fill up my Jeeps. I chose it over the one I use mostly because prices rose today and this station was $2.37 per gallon while my favorite was at $2.69.

So, I first put water up to the water fill line...

3ubQzl9.jpg

I then filled it precisely to the proper line with the Shell gasoline, shook it up, and then let it sit for a few minutes. The water mixes with the ethanol, and then the gasoline floats on top of it. The raised level can then be read as a percentage. Of course you have to really eyeball it.

Dh0p3Oz.jpg

As you can see, it is well below 10%, which is a very good thing. I'll call it 6%. That really makes it hard to justify seeking out and paying more for ethanol free gas. It also might explain why my JK 3.8 runs a little better the last year to 18 months, assuming the ethanol content is less.

I'll test it again from another Shell station and then maybe one more brand, like BP or 66. While the additive package is different for the brands, the gasoline comes from the same refinery, so I will expect the ethanol content to be the same, unless it varies by batch. I will also do it again when we get to the changeover to winter formulation. I might also do a test on V-power, just for kicks. It will be interesting to see what we find.

vZrQgr5.jpg
here in Canada I pump only at Shell or Esso

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
The bubbles in the Sunoco sample are now gone. I'd say 7 to 8% ethanol. Certainly there is more than we saw with the Shell regular 87. I'll call it close to 7.5% vs. approximately 6% for Shell. give or take 0.5%.

For closer comparison, see for yourself. The Sunoco is first, followed by the Shell. It is close, but for certain there is more ethanol in the Sunoco gas. Both started out with the exact same amount of water and fuel, as measured by the laser etched lines on the tube.
kxWUtNy.jpg

mZNbp87.jpg
Thank you Dan!! I appreciate you testing Sunoco for me. :)

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
If I could run e85 in my turbo I would in a heartbeat. Smiles per gallon, I want that octane rating

Sponsored

Jlowe73

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Great info Dan, thanks for the work and testing and I will be waiting on the V-shell results. I have to say that even though I have 35s on my 2018 JL and a two inch lift kit, I am only getting about 15-16mpg no matter what kind of gas I use. Does this seem about right? Thanks for any input from others.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great info Dan, thanks for the work and testing and I will be waiting on the V-shell results. I have to say that even though I have 35s on my 2018 JL and a two inch lift kit, I am only getting about 15-16mpg no matter what kind of gas I use. Does this seem about right? Thanks for any input from others.
That seems low, to me. I'm assuming 3.6/auto? Are the tires particularly aggressive and/or heavy? I also wonder if they might be a true 35" tire or even may be pushing 36"? What pressure are you running? Hilly country? I'm on pretty flat ground and I'll get 18 on my commute with 35's that are light and actually come out to just over 34". On the highway I get 21 on flat ground and can get 22, under ideal conditions.

Actual gas mileage can vary, but the context in which you are getting it may give us some clues.

Jlowe73

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
That seems low, to me. I'm assuming 3.6/auto? Are the tires particularly aggressive and/or heavy? I also wonder if they might be a true 35" tire or even may be pushing 36"? What pressure are you running? Hilly country? I'm on pretty flat ground and I'll get 18 on my commute with 35's that are light and actually come out to just over 34". On the highway I get 21 on flat ground and can get 22, under ideal conditions.

Actual gas mileage can vary, but the context in which you are getting it may give us some clues.
I am running 35 All-Terrains, on flat roads in Florida with about 36-38 psi in my tires. I have the turbo charged 4 banger in my 2018 Sahara, so I’m not sure what is going on but any suggestions would definitely be appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 35 All-Terrains, on flat roads in Florida with about 36-38 psi in my tires. I have the turbo charged 4 banger in my 2018 Sahara, so I’m not sure what is going on but any suggestions would definitely be appreciated, thanks.
What axle ratio? If it is a 3.08 or something close to that, then I could see that mileage. The 35's would create a very tall final drive ratio with that axle ratio.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I seek out the cheapest, from stations that are more commonly used. Additives do not burn as well as normal gasoline. They have less energy (BTU) potential. So in my opinion, the fewer the better. Same thing with Octane, the higher the octane, the lower the BTUs per gallon. I have been running 89 octane lately because it is hotter than the surface of the sun here in the southernmost point of Texas, and I've been playing in the sand and bogging it down quite a bit. I do prefer ethanol free fuel. And I like stations that are frequented more, because there is less chance of condensation getting into the fuel.
Sponsored