Ethanol Test Kit--Results!

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I seek out the cheapest, from stations that are more commonly used. Additives do not burn as well as normal gasoline. They have less energy (BTU) potential. So in my opinion, the fewer the better. Same thing with Octane, the higher the octane, the lower the BTUs per gallon. I have been running 89 octane lately because it is hotter than the surface of the sun here in the southernmost point of Texas, and I've been playing in the sand and bogging it down quite a bit. I do prefer ethanol free fuel. And I like stations that are frequented more, because there is less chance of condensation getting into the fuel.
I'm using 90 octane ethanol free gas only, and getting about 15.2 mpg in town with some freeway driving. JLUR, V6 auto, Falken 285/70 R17 M/T. Why the neck can't I get what most others seem to get?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using 90 octane ethanol free gas only, and getting about 15.2 mpg in town with some freeway driving. JLUR, V6 auto, Falken 285/70 R17 M/T. Why the neck can't I get what most others seem to get?
Have you checked it manually, or are you going by your dash display? Under some conditions, the dash display can read low, or high. I've found it to be off sometimes by as much as 1.3 mpg.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Have you checked it manually, or are you going by your dash display? Under some conditions, the dash display can read low, or high. I've found it to be off sometimes by as much as 1.3 mpg.
been going by dash display, but can't see how some are getting 20 or so mpg....I'm getting the same mileage I was getting in my lifted JKURHR with with mud tires.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
been going by dash display, but can't see how some are getting 20 or so mpg....I'm getting the same mileage I was getting in my lifted JKURHR with with mud tires.
Yeah, I don't know. On a recent trip to Oshkosh, I averaged 22 on the way there and 20.5 overall. That was at 70mph most of the way. At 65, I might be able to sustain 22mpg. That was calculated based on actual fuel fill and miles driven. It was within about 0.3 to 0.5 indicated on the dash.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Yeah I’d say my average is right around 20 - 20.5mpg with stop and go traffic 30-50mph in the morning and smooth sailing traffic at 70mph on the way home. I use Sunoco 93 and Shell 93.

Sponsored

Jlowe73

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
@Texan42 I guess we are just lucky both our Jeeps get such great gas mileage, but at the end of the day, I did not buy a jeep for the gas mileage.....just have a little mpg envy...:like:

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@Texan42 I guess we are just lucky both our Jeeps get such great gas mileage, but at the end of the day, I did not buy a jeep for the gas mileage.....just have a little mpg envy...:like:
would just be nice to figure out why I'm not getting better mpg....especially with a smaller than JK has tank.
Sponsored