Sponsored

Ethanol-Free Gasoline

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
I use the 100% gas in all my small engines but have never used it enough in my Tacoma to compare mpg's. It runs about 50 to 60 cents a gallon more in north Alabama.

I'm supposed to take delivery of my Wrangler this week so I may start it out on 100% to just see what the mpg is and report back.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I use the 100% gas in all my small engines but have never used it enough in my Tacoma to compare mpg's. It runs about 50 to 60 cents a gallon more in north Alabama.

I'm supposed to take delivery of my Wrangler this week so I may start it out on 100% to just see what the mpg is and report back.
Dollar wise, at .50¢ more a gallon, it doesnt make sense to use EtOH-Free Gas. Unless you just want to do it. But, it does give slightly more power, and does run smoother with it.

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
Unless you just want to do it.
Oh, I agree it doesn't make sense dollar wise but it's just to see if it makes a difference mpg wise.
My Tacoma has almost 220K miles on it and has never had a tank full of 100% gas and never had any problems using 10% ethanol.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Twice now has that site directed me to gas stations that were closed, or no longer sold ethanol-free fuel.

It's best to call first, before driving to a particular location.
Wawa and Rutters are carrying E0 at many of their locations (at least here in East/Central PA). I believe Wawa carries 89 Octane and Rutter has 90 Octane. The price difference between the two can be dramatic. Not sure how often that list is updated.

On a side note, I just filled up for the first time with E10 (I couldn't stand paying $4.40 a gallon that day) and have noticed a drop in my MPG's by about 2 mpg.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The higher cost per gallon gets 2mpg better, so a wash against the cheaper, but lower mpg. A bitter pill, but somewhat offset by the better throttle response (subjective, but still counts ). I find using 87, 10% ethanol in Winter, cold temps, not such a performance loss as it would be in warm Summer temps. Just my 65 cents per gallon difference...

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Ok, so, I checked...the station I use normally has 87 oct E10 at 3.19, 89 octane ethanol free at 3.339, and ethanol free 91 at 3.59

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After driving with the Ethanol Free gas, for several days, I will say that my Jeep loves.the stuff.
i particularly like that when the engine is started cold, in the morning, there is zero hesitation, or engine lag.
Also, the engine is much more responsive, off the line, all day long, as well as the engine runs quieter.
After filling the tank, back up with 10% Ethanol gas, i can only say: "Ethanol Sucks In Engines".

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
After driving with the Ethanol Free gas, for several days, I will say that my Jeep loves.the stuff.
i particularly like that when the engine is started cold, in the morning, there is zero hesitation, or engine lag.
Also, the engine is much more responsive, off the line, all day long, as well as the engine runs quieter.
After filling the tank, back up with 10% Ethanol gas, i can only say: "Ethanol Sucks In Engines".
AMEN!

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ethanol gas has better knock protection, runs cooler. However lower mpg
With the higher octane(90), on the Ethanol -Free gas, there is no hint of engine knock.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
With the higher octane(90), on the Ethanol -Free gas, there is no hint of engine knock.
That's true. Those with turbo engine ring hot summer towing (or driving "sprinty") - 93 octane (10% ethanol) will have more power due to engine not pulling timing as much as it would with 90oct E free.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did a trip today, and was able to fill up, with some Ethanol-Free Gas. Wow, its at $4.19 a gallon. Regular unleaded was at $3.84. Not very economical, on my part, but I like to treat my engine, every once and a while. The 3.6 really likes the Ethanol-Free Gas.
Sponsored