Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’m new to this Forum I’m going to try to be as detailed as possible, but anyways I have a 2018 Jeep JL Sport, manual transmission 40,000mi, just out of warranty. A few weeks ago I started my Jeep, all of my dash light came on: ABS, service 4WD, service Stability control, Brake, Start Stop, and airbag light. All gauges not working. I hooked my reader on the Jeep and had several codes pop up all relating to ABS.

15 minutes of driving, my power steering would stop working. I got the Jeep to where I needed to go and attempted to stop and restart the vehicle but failed to even shut the engine off. I stalled the engine but still couldn’t get the rest of the vehicle to shut off completely.Just before I unplugged the battery I tried shutting the Jeep off and it worked. So about a half hour before I could even shut it off. I started the Jeep and all the lights that were on were off except the Check Engine. Now this same incident would happen at random times. It would be okay one day and chaos the next. Certain lights would pop up like check engine and stop/start. Once I see all my lights come on I’ll know that my power steering will turn off at any time and does.
(Recently: when power steering shuts off. It would now come on and off at random times. I’m in a situation where I don’t have power steering going around a sharp corner then all of a sudden my power steering kicks back on. Other times It would be driving normal then for a split second no power steering and on again causing me to jerk the steering wheel while driving. Then my dash will shut completely down and basically resets itself and warning lights are off, and Jeep is back to normal until the next incident occurs)

I got a hold of the the only dealership in town which doesn’t really have a great reputation. I had them do my second recall relating to my clutch (software update) and to check on my main issue. I got a call back the next day stating that the software update was done and they placed their Reader on it and had 87 codes. They cleared codes and had a technician drive it with no issues and sent it back my way. Service department was closed when I was able to get the Jeep. As soon as I started the vehicle all my lights were on. Sent it back to the dealer and it sat for a week and a half before someone looked at it. They called me and basically said they don’t know what the issue is and I would have 2 options and the 2 options are not guaranteed to work. One being to have a technician to tear down everything and inspect wiring (quoted 7 plus hours labor) or replace entire wiring harness. So I took the Jeep back because I’m not going to gamble over a grand on guess.

just wondering if anyone has had this issue or similar experience and what the causes were? Or any ideas. I’m currently taking my ESS battery out to test it and inspect it.

Should also mention that I’ve had some electronic issues ever since I got the Jeep new and never got resolved because dealership could not recreate it. May or may not be related to issues I am having now I don’t know. But seen some forums about it but little answers. My radio would go haywire and make a loud pop and completely shut off and reset erasing uconect data and resets clock.

4E3D91A9-F38E-4966-8625-D556218DED15.jpeg
Sorry for the delay here, Lhewi207. If you're still experiencing concerns and need assistance while at the dealer, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lhewi207

Lhewi207

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, 6 manual transmission
Update: I pulled all my connections from the CAN BUS located in the glove compartment. Cleaned all contacts and placed contact grease on them. It’s been just over a week without any issues. Hopefully just a bad contact and it’s resolved.

akc24136

First Name
Aubrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL All New unlimited Sport S
Did anything ever work? We bought ours used and have only had it a few months. We have the same problem with everything going haywire and the windshield wipers starting up and not stopping. We've checked that all the fuses are seated properly, disconnected the batteries and replaced both of them. We've been trying to find all the ground wires and check them but it's hard to know where every one of them is. We are ready to shove this thing off a cliff.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Did anything ever work? We bought ours used and have only had it a few months. We have the same problem with everything going haywire and the windshield wipers starting up and not stopping. We've checked that all the fuses are seated properly, disconnected the batteries and replaced both of them. We've been trying to find all the ground wires and check them but it's hard to know where every one of them is. We are ready to shove this thing off a cliff.
Hi, akc24136. If you would like to discuss your electrical concerns further, we would be happy to. We're in private message at your earliest convenience.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Shaneyburke

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
Same issues. I could have written your post. Replaced both batteries. Same issue. My mechanic couldn't figure it out. Bringing it to dealership on Friday. Did anyone get it fixed, or know what the problem is?

Sumner406

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’m new to this Forum I’m going to try to be as detailed as possible, but anyways I have a 2018 Jeep JL Sport, manual transmission 40,000mi, just out of warranty. A few weeks ago I started my Jeep, all of my dash light came on: ABS, service 4WD, service Stability control, Brake, Start Stop, and airbag light. All gauges not working. I hooked my reader on the Jeep and had several codes pop up all relating to ABS.

15 minutes of driving, my power steering would stop working. I got the Jeep to where I needed to go and attempted to stop and restart the vehicle but failed to even shut the engine off. I stalled the engine but still couldn’t get the rest of the vehicle to shut off completely.Just before I unplugged the battery I tried shutting the Jeep off and it worked. So about a half hour before I could even shut it off. I started the Jeep and all the lights that were on were off except the Check Engine. Now this same incident would happen at random times. It would be okay one day and chaos the next. Certain lights would pop up like check engine and stop/start. Once I see all my lights come on I’ll know that my power steering will turn off at any time and does.
(Recently: when power steering shuts off. It would now come on and off at random times. I’m in a situation where I don’t have power steering going around a sharp corner then all of a sudden my power steering kicks back on. Other times It would be driving normal then for a split second no power steering and on again causing me to jerk the steering wheel while driving. Then my dash will shut completely down and basically resets itself and warning lights are off, and Jeep is back to normal until the next incident occurs)

I got a hold of the the only dealership in town which doesn’t really have a great reputation. I had them do my second recall relating to my clutch (software update) and to check on my main issue. I got a call back the next day stating that the software update was done and they placed their Reader on it and had 87 codes. They cleared codes and had a technician drive it with no issues and sent it back my way. Service department was closed when I was able to get the Jeep. As soon as I started the vehicle all my lights were on. Sent it back to the dealer and it sat for a week and a half before someone looked at it. They called me and basically said they don’t know what the issue is and I would have 2 options and the 2 options are not guaranteed to work. One being to have a technician to tear down everything and inspect wiring (quoted 7 plus hours labor) or replace entire wiring harness. So I took the Jeep back because I’m not going to gamble over a grand on guess.

just wondering if anyone has had this issue or similar experience and what the causes were? Or any ideas. I’m currently taking my ESS battery out to test it and inspect it.

Should also mention that I’ve had some electronic issues ever since I got the Jeep new and never got resolved because dealership could not recreate it. May or may not be related to issues I am having now I don’t know. But seen some forums about it but little answers. My radio would go haywire and make a loud pop and completely shut off and reset erasing uconect data and resets clock.

4E3D91A9-F38E-4966-8625-D556218DED15.jpeg
We have a 2018 JLU S that is doing the exact same thing. Replaced both batteries and brought it home on Friday. Saturday
it started again... I feel your pain!
Our radio would do this when we had an iPhone connected via usb. They couldn't recreate it either so I finally took one of them for a drive and it happened. They downloaded an update for the stereo and it has worked fine for about a month now.

Sumner406

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Same issues. I could have written your post. Replaced both batteries. Same issue. My mechanic couldn't figure it out. Bringing it to dealership on Friday. Did anyone get it fixed, or know what the problem is?
This is so aggravating! Same

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
I’m having the exact same issue, I bought a new main battery & IBS, bypassed the ess bat (new last July) checked the can bus (new 2 years ago) & pulled the radio fuse as it’s acting crazy too.

Im currently searching electrical shorts / damaged harnesses & pricing a new alternator.

I also had a recall addressed with a software update on the power steering just before this started.

These aren’t your Father's Jeeps boys. I’m considering an older Jk, TJ or Tacoma. Something less constrained by software.

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broke down on the way to work this morning. This time it wouldn’t even turn off the electrical power so had to disconnect the neutrals on the battery. That’s the 1st time it wouldn’t turn off battery power. Tried 3 time’s disco & reconnecting neutrals and no start. The 4th time I disconnect the “New” IBS sensor and it started like nothing ever happened.
I’m thinking it was just coincidence, but will try that again next time.

Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are the codes
U0100
Raw code: C100
ECU: Transmission control unit
OBDII: Data bus, engine control module (ECM) A - no communication

============2==============
P1DD2
Raw code: 1DD2

============3==============
U0001
Raw code: C001
OBDII: Controller area network (CAN) data bus, high speed bus

============4==============
U0401
Raw code: C401
OBDII: Invalid data received - engine control module (ECM)

Sumner406

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This may be a stupid question but would replacing the JLU's computer make a difference?

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not stupid at all but very expensive, and it still might not be the fix. I was considering starting with the Transmission Control Module TCM as the codes show lack of communication. it’s cheaper and easy to access under steering. But I’m also considering if the alternator is occasionally losing voltage resulting in the Jeep going into limp mode which I believe is running off only the battery, thus losing most but not all power steering and resetting to full power when I stop start again.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot… lol👍

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Not stupid at all but very expensive, and it still might not be the fix. I was considering starting with the Transmission Control Module TCM as the codes show lack of communication. it’s cheaper and easy to access under steering. But I’m also considering if the alternator is occasionally losing voltage resulting in the Jeep going into limp mode which I believe is running off only the battery, thus losing most but not all power steering and resetting to full power when I stop start again.

Any chance you’ve looked at those codes in a factory service manual? They should have a seperate process for each and you could look at the overlap causes.

if you don’t have one, I’ve had good luck with Alldatadiy in the past.

Sumner406

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

Thanks for the response! I think checking the alternator is a great idea. This will be the next thing on my list. Its crazy aggravating. We are looking at purchasing a new 22 for my wife but I am concerned that we would end up with 2 that have problems. Thanks again and keep us all updated please! In this video I realize its not locked just no power steering.

Sponsored