Driving on beach sand.

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
Id recommend a pair of Traction pads (max traxx), i have some 60's cheapos that saved my butt a few times getting into belly deep sand with 35's on a 2.5".

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Has anyone ever tried using the Hill descent control button on the beach? I've heard folks say differing things as to whether it works similar to Toyota's "crawl control". It sounds like it uses the ABS pump to regulate the wheels independently so it "sounds" similar to Crawl control. Just curious if anyone has tried to bury their Jeep in the sand and duplicate getting out using this button.

I've driven on many a soft beach and I intend to try to this Summer. Thankfully to date I haven't gotten stuck yet and we have a very soft beach here.

Sponsored

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
Has anyone ever tried using the Hill descent control button on the beach? I've heard folks say differing things as to whether it works similar to Toyota's "crawl control". It sounds like it uses the ABS pump to regulate the wheels independently so it "sounds" similar to Crawl control. Just curious if anyone has tried to bury their Jeep in the sand and duplicate getting out using this button.

I've driven on many a soft beach and I intend to try to this Summer. Thankfully to date I haven't gotten stuck yet and we have a very soft beach here.
Isn't Hill decent completely different ? As per it's name it'll brake automatically to control the decent on a downhill. I don't think it controls the accelerator.

Craw control is a more advanced form of traction control where accelerator AND brakes are being manipulated on individual wheels to move the car slowly with control on any surface.

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Go with another vehicle and make sure between the two of you that you have a set Maxtrax, a shovel, a tow strap, and that you are aired down to 12-15psi. There are plenty of great beach driving vids on YouTube. These are great:

Have fun!!

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Isn't Hill decent completely different ? As per it's name it'll brake automatically to control the decent on a downhill. I don't think it controls the accelerator.

Craw control is a more advanced form of traction control where accelerator AND brakes are being manipulated on individual wheels to move the car slowly with control on any surface.
Yeah, Iā€˜m pretty sure it works on level ground also and acts as a ā€œcruise controlā€ to maintain speed. Gotta experiment and play with it some. Like I said, Iā€™ve heard different things from folks about it and what it does. Lots of conflicting information. If it does work on level ground it would seem to be named poorly.

Sponsored

BCFRJeeper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Hello everyone I just received a beach pass to drive on some of NY beaches. What are the doā€™s and donā€™t for driving on beach sand?
Get the extended car warranty that we've been calling you about and trust your gut. If you start to bog down, stop pressing the accelerator. You are just digging your hole deeper and making it harder to get out.

OP
OP
Iaintgonnatellu

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Get the extended car warranty that we've been calling you about and trust your gut. If you start to bog down, stop pressing the accelerator. You are just digging your hole deeper and making it harder to get out.
I have the extended warranty and I still get called by the time Iā€™m done my jeep will have unlimited warranty
Sponsored

Last edited: