TammieWtn

First Name
Tammie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Hi everyone,

I've had my 2018 JLU for about 6 months now (and I love it :involve: ) however, I find when I leave the ESS turned on I seem to burn through more gas. I only live about 6km from work, so my daily drive is not long but depending on traffic, can stop at least 10 times for traffic lights and left/right turns each way. I notice a significant gas burn when ESS is kept on..... anyone else experience the same - or am I completely off my rocker?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
It is saving you gas but that could be offset by accelerating from a stop. Really depends on how long you're stopped and how quickly you accelerate from that stop. Breezing through the stop is always the best MPG.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m about four tanks of gas away from completing the first 122 tanks of gas put into my jeep over the course of about two years, so when I’m done fucking around with Microsoft excel and a bunch of receipts, I’ll post the results and let you know (I disabled ESS for the first 61 tanks and have been leaving it enabled it for the second 61 tanks)

OP
OP
TammieWtn

TammieWtn

First Name
Tammie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I’m about four tanks of gas away from completing the first 122 tanks of gas put into my jeep over the course of about two years, so when I’m done fucking around with Microsoft excel and a bunch of receipts, I’ll post the results and let you know (I disabled ESS for the first 61 tanks and have been leaving it enabled it for the second 61 tanks)

Awesome, thanks!!

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest I can’t tell you if it saves gas I’ve had it disabled since pretty much the day I bought it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi everyone,

I've had my 2018 JLU for about 6 months now (and I love it :involve: ) however, I find when I leave the ESS turned on I seem to burn through more gas. I only live about 6km from work, so my daily drive is not long but depending on traffic, can stop at least 10 times for traffic lights and left/right turns each way. I notice a significant gas burn when ESS is kept on..... anyone else experience the same - or am I completely off my rocker?
Hi Tammie:

You might find this video interesting as it relates to your question.

It's author concluded that you need to be in an ESS event in excess of 7 seconds for that event to save gasoline, given what it takes in gasoline to start the engine versus letting the engine idle.

You can take that measurement with a grain of salt, but it does speak to the point that if your ESS events are only happening on average for durations far less than this, then ESS will tend to cost you, not save you gasoline.

Of course your question focused solely on the cost of gasoline, as opposed to additional factors like engine and starter wear: much that automakers claim to use more heavy duty components in engine systems with ESS.

Clearly---metaphorically and literally, your mileage might vary YMMV.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Hi everyone,

Does your engine even reach operating temps before you have to idle?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Both my Jeeps get the push button OFF the moment the engine is running,

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Hi Tammie:

You might find this video interesting as it relates to your question.

It's author concluded that you need to be in an ESS event in excess of 7 seconds for that event to save gasoline, given what it takes in gasoline to start the engine versus letting the engine idle.

You can take that measurement with a grain of salt, but it does speak to the point that if your ESS events are only happening on average for durations far less than this, then ESS will tend to cost you, not save you gasoline.

Of course your question focused solely on the cost of gasoline, as opposed to additional factors like engine and starter wear: much that automakers claim to use more heavy duty components in engine systems with ESS.

Clearly---metaphorically and literally, your mileage might vary YMMV.
I can’t recall where but there was another that said 5 secs. I find it difficult to even have 5 secs before I need to move again.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My 2015 V6 Cherokee Trailhawk ESS stopped working over a year ago just after warranty ended never fixed it. I am getting almost 2 mpg more since it stopped, don't miss it!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored