Sponsored

Does an answer to this hardtop question even exist?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
FYI there is a forum for these exact questions where people who had experience can provide input versus guessing. Here are a couple options.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/has-anyone-tried-exposed-racks.24422/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...for-roof-top-tents.45757/page-16#post-1780561

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dee-zee-and-yakima-baskets-pods.84822/

I have been running the Exposed Racks (gutter mount 3 bar version) for nearing a year. My RTT weighs 147 lb. and adding my wife, myself and gear up there we are most likely pushing close to 550 lb. or so. We have had no issues. Dee Zee is another option that is gutter mount and people use those for tents as well.

And the JK did have rain gutter - however they were just over the doors and not the rear portion of the hardtop.
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
@STW
Agreed. I have the same setup and it is rock solid. Although top removal is a pain in the ass. I have finally developed a system to get those front bolts loose easier. But still sucks. How are you doing it? or at all?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
The strength of the gutters is what it is. If you change the brand of the roof rack it does not change the strength of the gutters.

I note that Mopar roof racks are designed for Wranglers implying a better fit in the gutters.

The other brand roof racks are designed for all cars so may not fit as snug. They might find a weak point in the gutters.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
The strength of the gutters is what it is. If you change the brand of the roof rack it does not change the strength of the gutters.

I note that Mopar roof racks are designed for Wranglers implying a better fit in the gutters.

The other brand roof racks are designed for all cars so may not fit as snug. They might find a weak point in the gutters.

That is why you get something designed specifically for the Wrangler. Of which there are several options. I love how people with no experience on the gutter mount systems think they don't work. They work just fine and multiples of people on this forum have good experience and no issues. Gutter mount systems work just fine. Design and use dependent on durability of course.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
I'm happy with the Maximus-3 roll bar to roof bar kit installed a year ago. It's used to safely carry sea kayaks, fuel cans, and other heavy items by transfering the weight of the roof rack into the roll bars, instead of the plastic roof.
It was a bit of work to install and it makes removing the roof a huge job, not a problem since I never intend to remove it, the Sunrider top is a fine substitute.
I ordered just the mounting kit and crossbar mounts and used Unistrut crossbars, useful for custom-fitted applications and the ability to change the configuration quickly.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
FWIW I had a 120 pound woman dancing on mine with no issues That's all Im going to say about that though

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
FourLow

My 2007 1nd 2012 JK's had gutters from windshield to rear od rear window>. So you are partially right. some of that rain gutter was of course on the top not just the panel area. The 2018 JLU has rain gutter from windshield to about 4" from end of HT.

If I can attach a pick I will...doubtful, Computer illiterate!!

Go Jeep!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Does an answer to this hardtop question even exist? 2012jeep4dr

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Four Low,

That's Drive safe!! probably why the owners manual said NO weight, couldn't spread load bars far enough! Jeep however said nothing about that, just "nothing carried on top or warranty void"? ( or something to that effect?)

Go Jeep!!!

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
@STW
Agreed. I have the same setup and it is rock solid. Although top removal is a pain in the ass. I have finally developed a system to get those front bolts loose easier. But still sucks. How are you doing it? or at all?
Sounds like the front bolts you're talkin are the ones that hold the Maximus-3 front rack towers to the front roll cage? Good to know if they are hard to remove. I'm still in the install process having only recently taken delivery of the JLR.

Maximus-3 customer service says the hard top comes right off when you remove the four bolts, so I'm guessing you've found it to be slower than expected. Let me know about the system you developed to loosen front bolts easier.

One reason I went with Maximus-3 is that I will probably not need to take off the hardtop very often. My local climate alternates between winter snow and cold (13f today) then blistering dry desert heat and sun. Both of those are conditions that warrant having the hardtop in place (for me). When I looked at how often I remove the TJ hardtop, I decided it was ok to increase the difficulty of removal if that had other benefits. Which the Maximus-3 does have. Maximus-3 also is the only system like this I know of for the 2door.

Worth noting for people still deciding this: Maximus-3 uses the RhinoRack Pioneer Platform in their their roof rack kits, but the install kit that RhinoRack themselves make adds supports through a drilled hardtop too. So it also has higher static and dynamic load ratings than a rack system supported by roof only, but RhinoRack's style doesn't tie into the roll cage, but down to the tub edges. Pluses and minus's for both methods, but one advantage of RhinoRack's version is it doesn't change how the hardtop is removed.
Sponsored