Does This Exist

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
We've read of the importance of trickle charging many of the JL models, particularly those with dual batteries and subject to limited/short drive use.

And clearly, plug in trickle chargers or solar panels that effect same are fine for those with access to shore power or sunlight.

But what if you park in some public/commercial garage where above you is the "garage's next floor," and no access to shore power is available.

Is there some battery you can plug in at home, that you can, once charged, position in your JL to trickle charge the battery?

TIA
Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
You could prob use a Jackery type system to trickle charge a jeep. No idea how long it would last between recharges.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I’ve not read a single thing until now about trickle charging. Is this meant for the 4Xe perhaps?

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
This is an example of one brand, you would have to do your research on other brands. I think what you are trying to get at is, does someone make a portable trickle/battery booster? If so, yes they do. You charge these at home and then when your battery needs a boost/charge if it's been sitting for awhile, you can hook these up and within a few minutes it should be good to go. However, most of these products do state that the life of your battery can be impacted by constant charge/recharge depending on how frequently and long you let your vehicle sit idle.

https://ca.gooloo.com/products/ca-g...36IDccsdHtBzk-0yYz1c6n2MGcKWBhGRoCZCkQAvD_BwE

https://ca.ecoflow.com/products/riv...5qai-eT3hoCGNoQAvD_BwE&variant=41257667657882

Just look up portable power station/battery charger and you will get a ton of different products.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Curious.. why do you want to do such a thing as trickle charging your batteries?.. is it to extend the longevity of the battery?.. or because your JLU is not being driven much?...

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Curious.. why do you want to do such a thing as trickle charging your batteries?.. is it to extend the longevity of the battery?.. or because your JLU is not being driven much?...
Meh, I run a Cascadia VSS purely as a trickle charger. A small trickle is always good for battery longevity. Never had an issue with OEM batteries or anything electrical.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Meh, I run a Cascadia VSS purely as a trickle charger. A small trickle is always good for battery longevity. Never had an issue with OEM batteries or anything electrical.
I have the Cascadia too. Have you had to charge your battery from it? I haven't yet thankfully, curious how long it would take to be crank worthy. Also been wondering if I should plug it into the Aux battery at that point instead of main.

I wish it was more than 30w for the rubicon VSS. I would happily have it longer down my hood. I just bought a foldable 100w as well.

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
trickle chargers are great if your vehicle does not get driven frequently, and sits for long period of times.

If you don't have access to a plug where you park, you can take your battery out and bring it somewhere that you can trickle charge it.

I have 2 of these and have used them to both revive dead batteries, as well as keep the ones in my car healthy. Have not used it on the jeep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6B987F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have the Cascadia too. Have you had to charge your battery from it? I haven't yet thankfully, curious how long it would take to be crank worthy. Also been wondering if I should plug it into the Aux battery at that point instead of main.

I wish it was more than 30w for the rubicon VSS. I would happily have it longer down my hood. I just bought a foldable 100w as well.
Nah, I don't trust the OEM to completely kill it.

If you connected it the way the instructions said, it's charging your aux battery as well as far as I know.

Ya, a bit more would.be great but this 30w still pushes like 24-25 volts easily. I'm good with that for maintenance.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, I don't trust the OEM to completely kill it.
YEah, this is why I got the VSS, went up in the mountains and wound up with a dead battery after a few days. Next up is a dual battery, I'm paranoid now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
You could prob use a Jackery type system to trickle charge a jeep. No idea how long it would last between recharges.
Yeah, portable shore power......sounds good, thanks

OP
OP

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I’ve not read a single thing until now about trickle charging. Is this meant for the 4Xe perhaps?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/should-i-trickle-charge.45148/

As you may know, car batteries are subject to small losses of power simply as a product of the passage of time, let alone the electronics in modern vehicles that remain operational even when the vehicle is parked.

Additionally, the Engine Start Stop (ESS) system on the JL, for those models equipped with it and dual batteries (the 4xe not, to my understanding being one of those models) seems to only want to engage when the smaller auxiliary battery is at adequate enough voltage.

As a result of these factors, and to preserve their batteries' lives, owners have taken to trickle charging their JLs, to keep their batteries topped off. Trickle charging power can come from access to a 110V receptacle or sunlight depending on the trickle charger used.

OP
OP

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
This is an example of one brand, you would have to do your research on other brands. I think what you are trying to get at is, does someone make a portable trickle/battery booster? If so, yes they do. You charge these at home and then when your battery needs a boost/charge if it's been sitting for awhile, you can hook these up and within a few minutes it should be good to go. However, most of these products do state that the life of your battery can be impacted by constant charge/recharge depending on how frequently and long you let your vehicle sit idle.

https://ca.gooloo.com/products/ca-g...36IDccsdHtBzk-0yYz1c6n2MGcKWBhGRoCZCkQAvD_BwE

https://ca.ecoflow.com/products/riv...5qai-eT3hoCGNoQAvD_BwE&variant=41257667657882

Just look up portable power station/battery charger and you will get a ton of different products.
Thanks Arthur, but your first link, at least what I can surmise from it, details a device to jump start, not trickle a car battery. I own one of the former and point out this difference given the two devices differences in how they (as you may know) delivery power.

The "plug in at home to charge" jump starter is designed to delivery large amounts of power to a vehicle battery in a short period of time to get the engine cranked, and the alternator thereafter in the business of charging the battery. A trickle charger delivers small amounts of power over longer periods of time, is often specific to the battery type/chemistry being trickle charged, and has difference phases of power delivery depending on how close to fully charged the battery is.

Ideally, I'd hope to find a product that charges like a portable jump starter but delivers power like a trickle charger. Maybe someone makes such a jump starter with a trickle charging setting, or maybe the one you linked has such a setting and I missed it.

Thanks.

OP
OP

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Trickle charging preserves the life of batteries and has its best use on infrequently used or short trip used vehicles where the drain on the battery for cranking the engine isn't replenished adequately by the alternator given the small amount of time the engine is on during short trips.

Trickle charging has become more prevalent in later model vehicles whose electronics draw on the battery in small amounts even when parked, and has been particularly useful for the JL crowd running models with dual batteries. This draw, in addition to even an isolated battery's/batteries' tendency to lose small amounts of charge over time, can be overcome by a trickle charger.

These dual battery JL models (e.g. 3.6L, 2.0L) keep the two batteries in parallel at most times, including when the vehicle is at rest, and attaching the leads of a trickle charger to the main battery will trickle charge both batteries. Many owners with short trip driving habits, compounded with cold weather parking, find trickle charging a way to keep the ESS system running, which won't engage unless the smaller battery has adequate charge.

OP
OP

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
...great product, otherwise lousy in use in if your stuck parking your JL in a garage with no sunlight :)
Sponsored

Sponsored

Next Venture Motorsports

Sponsored