Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot disconnect the wires on the SGW to install my Ecri device. They have added a bracket to make it more difficult, and it’s hard to get at the bracket. Any advice? Thanks!
@Wabujitsu you peaked my interest when you mentioned the Ecri device so I had to look it up and I have to thank you, I currently use. 12+8 cable with JSCAN along with a few different different OBDII BT scanners and I have just been leaving the cable tucked under the dash but sometimes I like using the “ Trail View” option but doing it with the cable is sort of a PITA as it has to lay on the floor or dangle from the cable so I was pretty set on ordering a Tazer bypass module but what you mentioned here looks like it will do the same for 1/3 the cost https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WNPFZ7VDAKVDCRTEM00G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m hoping it works so I can ditch the cable 👍🏻

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I need someone with tiny Donald Trump hands. @Roky? 🤣

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I need someone with tiny Donald Trump hands. @Roky? 🤣
Some have had good success using a curved dental pick..

Mine were pretty snug but once I got them out several years back I took some high grit polish paper and taped it to a lapping plate and then carefully rubbed the ribbed side of the connectors on the paper in a circular motion just doing a few laps then checking the fit and after 3-4 times the connectors pop in/out very easily so now I don’t even struggle but thinking now if i get the Ecri bypass it will be easier compared to the 12+8 cable I’m currently using.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Some have had good success using a curved dental pick..

Mine were pretty snug but once I got them out several years back I took some high grit polish paper and taped it to a lapping plate and then carefully rubbed the ribbed side of the connectors on the paper in a circular motion just doing a few laps then checking the fit and after 3-4 times the connectors pop in/out very easily so now I don’t even struggle but thinking now if i get the Ecri bypass it will be easier compared to the 12+8 cable I’m currently using.
Will, I was upside-down, with the panel off and after an appropriate number of beers, pressing on the backside with my index finger as hard as I could and pulling on the wire harness with my other hand. I couldn’t budge the damn thing. I had more room in my Sport to work it, and removed them without much problems, but this is ridiculous! After a few beers today, I will try again. 😁

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, man, I can barley get these gorilla mits in there on mine...... 😂
Yeah brother, my catchers mitt dick beaters don’t fit up in there so well either 🤣

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@Wabujitsu you peaked my interest when you mentioned the Ecri device so I had to look it up and I have to thank you, I currently use. 12+8 cable with JSCAN along with a few different different OBDII BT scanners and I have just been leaving the cable tucked under the dash but sometimes I like using the “ Trail View” option but doing it with the cable is sort of a PITA as it has to lay on the floor or dangle from the cable so I was pretty set on ordering a Tazer bypass module but what you mentioned here looks like it will do the same for 1/3 the cost https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WNPFZ7VDAKVDCRTEM00G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m hoping it works so I can ditch the cable 👍🏻
Will, you will need the Ecri device as well as the security bypass module in your link. Total is about $149, full price from the Ecri site. The bypass module link shows $25; I paid $49.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Will, you will need the Ecri device as well as the security bypass module in your link. Total is about $149, full price from the Ecri site. The bypass module link shows $25; I paid $49.
My plan was to use the Ecri bypass module with either my Veepeak or OBDLINK MX reader that plugs into my OBDII port along with my JSCAN app, I was thinking that the Ecri bypass module just bypassed the SGW so one could use any OBDII BT module or does the Ecri bypass module only work with their matched device ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My plan was to use the Ecri bypass module with either my Veepeak or OBDLINK MX reader that plugs into my OBDII port along with my JSCAN app, I was thinking that the Ecri bypass module just bypassed the SGW so one could use any OBDII BT module or does the Ecri bypass module only work with their matched device ?
Unknown.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No worries Brother, I sent them an email to see what they say and if nothing else I can order off Amazon as they have a good return policy for Prime Members

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those reading this thread .... for those interested.. I have fooled with / used the ECRI Bypass Module mentioned in this thread.

It works aok / gives the necessary bypass.

I have tried it with a cable attached, OBDll Scanner and a couple of different OBDll Bluetooth Scanners. Also tried it with the original Tazer JL unit .... No problems noted, using the ECRI Bypass Module.

The ECRI Bypass Module was purchased by a guy I know. A while back, he wanted an inexpensive bypass module so I told him about the ECRI offering and he bought one. He leaves it connected full-time and no problems doing that... (I did not expect any)

I set up his JT with JSCAN, using an ECRI Bypass Module and a VEEPEAK Bluetooth Scanner Tool.

While I had the bypass module here I fooled with it so to speak.. 8-)

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
When you get the SGW Extension, then get you Gal Pal / Wife or a teen and have them do the disconnect of the 2 cables and the plug in of the SGW Extension.
Wow. I had zero issues getting mine unplugged. Now I feel attacked. I have girl hands. :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

I don't though. Size XL work gloves are snug on me.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Got my ECRI bypass in last night and tried it with my Veepeak and OBDLINK Max along with JSCAN and zero issues so no more cables for me and I will leave it plugged in all the time and I got a 20% discount from the maker after chatting with them and all they asked for was feedback on compatibility, I even have it daisy chained with my SSS module and still no issues so those looking for a cheaper alternative to other bypass modules you should have no issues.
Sponsored