Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. I had zero issues getting mine unplugged. Now I feel attacked. I have girl hands. :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

I don't though. Size XL work gloves are snug on me.
PLEASE tell me how you pulled that off! If you don’t have the Alpine system, you don’t have the amplifier bracket in the way. My last Jeep - a Sport - was easy for me too.
Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
PLEASE tell me how you pulled that off! If you don’t have the Alpine system, you don’t have the amplifier bracket in the way. My last Jeep - a Sport - was easy for me too.
Yeah, I missed that detail when I skimmed through the thread. I don't have the Alpine system. My stereo sounds so bad I never turn it on.

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Rubicon 392, '16 Challenger Hellcat
Dumb question, but how do remove the trim panel below the steering wheel? Do you just pull from the bottom like you do for the JKs and it just pops off?

I tried getting the two connectors off with no luck as well...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Dumb question, but how do remove the trim panel below the steering wheel? Do you just pull from the bottom like you do for the JKs and it just pops off?

I tried getting the two connectors off with no luck as well...
@407Lou

Start at the top of the panel. Do one side at a time.... place fingers behind top corner of panel and push toward you until you feel the panel release.. Now, go to other side at top and do the same thing.

Now with your hands on both sides of the plastic panel at the top , slowly slide your hands downward as you pull gently and forward towards you. As you work your way down you will feel the other 4 clips let loose. Total of 6 clips.

When you go to reinstall the panel insert bottom clip in to retention hole on each side.... lean plastic up and align the other clips with the retention holes and push inward... Don't get crazy forceful/aggressive when pushing in as you can collapse/break the plastic mount that the white clip resides on.

Don;t let my explanation scare you off... The deed is easy to do but just want to give you all the details... 8-)

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@407Lou

Start at the top of the panel. Do one side at a time.... place fingers behind top corner of panel and push toward you until you feel the panel release.. Now, go to other side at top and do the same thing.

Now with your hands on both sides of the plastic panel at the top , slowly slide your hands downward as you pull gently and forward towards you. As you work your way down you will feel the other 4 clips let loose. Total of 6 clips.

When you go to reinstall the panel insert bottom clip in to retention hole on each side.... lean plastic up and align the other clips with the retention holes and push inward... Don't get crazy forceful/aggressive when pushing in as you can collapse/break the plastic mount that the white clip resides on.

Don;t let my explanation scare you off... The deed is easy to do but just want to give you all the details... 8-)

Awesome, thanks for that!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@407Lou

Heck brother, I’ve done it so many times now in two Jeeps that I just grab the panel at the bottom and snatch it off, peeling up from the bottom 😆 Sometimes a few of the little white plastic clips pop off, but they’re easy to slide back on before reinstall. Haven’t broken a clip yet!

By the way, I did have someone remove the cable harness for me, and the Ecri bypass is installed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heck brother, I’ve done it so many times now in two Jeeps that I just grab the panel at the bottom and snatch it off, peeling up from the bottom 😆 Sometimes a few of the little white plastic clips pop off, but they’re easy to slide back on before reinstall. Haven’t broken a clip yet!

By the way, I did have someone remove the cable harness for me, and the Ecri bypass is installed.
It's not the clip itself that breaks.... usually guys just lose the clips.

What happens is though.... a guy will take the back his fist and hammer on the low panel when installing it..... AND, if the clip is not lined up, the flimsy plastic protrusion that holds the clip is broken/collapsed/destroyed.

Anyway, the above does not happen to often but it does so worth mentioning/saying, careful don't lose a clip, when reinstalling line up clips and don't hammer on the plastic to hard... 8-)

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I was able to get the panel off, thanks to the advice here (thanks!).

I also was able to get the connectors off and after I did, I realized I took the wrong ones off! :facepalm:

So put those back on and the other two were more difficult to get to but got them off and connected my bypass cable and OBDII BT module. Updated for new tire size and good to go.

Thanks again!

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
I just installed my AutoStop Eliminator with the audio bracket hindrance. Definitely nowhere near as easy as the install video. I couldn't get the SGM disconnected despite being able to wedge a few bloodied fingers from both of my hands up there. What finally worked was a screwdriver in the right hand behind the bracket through a gap to depress the clip then 2 fingers of the left hand pulling straight down on the connector.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed my AutoStop Eliminator with the audio bracket hindrance. Definitely nowhere near as easy as the install video. I couldn't get the SGM disconnected despite being able to wedge a few bloodied fingers from both of my hands up there. What finally worked was a screwdriver in the right hand behind the bracket through a gap to depress the clip then 2 fingers of the left hand pulling straight down on the connector.
@bohnster

Yes, that Amp bracket on newer JL's does get in the way....

Just so you know, some have reported issues with the Autostop Eliminator.

Intermittently it will not do as it should and it can cause the JL's, UConnect to keep awakening when the JL is not running......and thus the battery(s) is depleted..... and you have a no start situation.. 8-(

Some people have had no issues.... kind of a crap shoot with the Autostop Eliminator.

The SmartStopStart offering has none of the issues that the knock off offering has...

The SmartStopStart offering is what most all on this forum have gone with, if they purchased such a unit.. I would never recommend the Autostop Eliminator.

Yes, the SmartStopStart unit costs a few $ more but it is the better way to go.. Never ever any issues reported in regard to the SmartStopStart offering...

Sponsored

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
@bohnster

Yes, that Amp bracket on newer JL's does get in the way....

Just so you know, some have reported issues with the Autostop Eliminator.

Intermittently it will not do as it should and it can cause the JL's, UConnect to keep awakening when the JL is not running......and thus the battery(s) is depleted..... and you have a no start situation.. 8-(

Some people have had no issues.... kind of a crap shoot with the Autostop Eliminator.

The SmartStopStart offering has none of the issues that the knock off offering has...

The SmartStopStart offering is what most all on this forum have gone with, if they purchased such a unit.. I would never recommend the Autostop Eliminator.

Yes, the SmartStopStart unit costs a few $ more but it is the better way to go.. Never ever any issues reported in regard to the SmartStopStart offering...

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't see anything about that in a prior search before buying and haven't gotten a hit on issues like that now. If I do find something, I'll definitely pull it out and switch over.

huey_atx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
Occupation
IT
does the SGW Extension Cable work with the 12+8 Autel Chrysler cable:

Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon 1675093458336

Also, (I may be an idiot here) won't you have to plug this SGW extension cable back into those hard to reach SGW inputs after you disconnect my OBD II iCar bluetooth device? TIA

- Frustrated with bleeding fingers & knuckles

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
does the SGW Extension Cable work with the 12+8 Autel Chrysler cable:

Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon 1675093458336

Also, (I may be an idiot here) won't you have to plug this SGW extension cable back into those hard to reach SGW inputs after you disconnect my OBD II iCar bluetooth device? TIA

- Frustrated with bleeding fingers & knuckles
The first time you disconnect the SGW connectors will be difficult. After that connect the extension cables (leaving them connected) and you will be able to easily disconnect and reconnect cables without any problems and without removing the cover around the steering. Easy peasy. No need to get to the SGW with the extension installed.

Yes, the SGW Extension Cable works with the 12+8 Autel Chrysler cable:

huey_atx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
Occupation
IT
OH - So the OEM SGW cables don't have to be connected to ports/inputs at all times then? Just leave them dangling (I'll tuck them away) waiting for my OBD II iCar bluetooth device (will probably get a Tazer at some point) to be connected then? TIA!!

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
OH - So the OEM SGW cables don't have to be connected to ports/inputs at all times then? Just leave them dangling (I'll tuck them away) waiting for my OBD II iCar bluetooth device (will probably get a Tazer at some point) to be connected then? TIA!!
You need to plug the OEM SGW cables into the extension cable after the extensions are installed into the SGW. They work like a simple extension cord. Everything will be connected as they were originally except with the extensions installed inline.
Sponsored