Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot disconnect the wires on the SGW to install my Ecri device. They have added a bracket to make it more difficult, and it’s hard to get at the bracket. Any advice? Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I cannot disconnect the wires on the SGW to install my Ecri device. They have added a bracket to make it more difficult, and it’s hard to get at the bracket. Any advice? Thanks!
@Wabujitsu

If you can, PLEASE snap a close-up pic of this "added bracket" and post the pic here. ..... no one else has mentioned a new bracket there..

I suggest that before you fool with the 2 connections... before you do the disconnect.... and since you are having issues already.... that you buy a SGW Extension from ZAutomotive.

The extension will make your life easier so to speak.. Remember, you will be fooling with those 2 connectors lots..
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

When you get the SGW Extension, then get you Gal Pal / Wife or a teen and have them do the disconnect of the 2 cables and the plug in of the SGW Extension. Smaller body frame, small hands, young eyes and a strong light make dealing with those 2 cables a breeze..

Also remember to pull the plastic directly below the steering column before you do they do the deed.

Been there done that, got the tee-shirt...
Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon Capture- Back

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@Wabujitsu

If you can, PLEASE snap a close-up pic of this "added bracket" and post here. ..... no one else has mentioned a new bracket there..

I suggest that before you fool with the 2 connections... before you do thr disconnect.... and since you are having issues already, that you buy a SGW Extension from ZAutomotive.

The extension will make your life easier so to speak.. Remember, you will be fooling with those 2 connectors lots..

When you get the SGW Extension, then get you Gal Pal / Wife or a teen and have them do the disconnect of the 2 cables and the plug in of the SGW Extension. Smaller body frame, small hands, young eyes and a strong light make dealing with those 2 cables a breeze..

Also remember to pull the plastic directly below the steering column before you do they do the deed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon Capture- Back

I pulled the plastic; thanks. I used the Ecri device on my 2018 JL Sport. There was more room to work. There is now a bracket in place to make it harder to access. I will take a photo and post.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@Wabujitsu

If you can, PLEASE snap a close-up pic of this "added bracket" and post the pic here. ..... no one else has mentioned a new bracket there..

I suggest that before you fool with the 2 connections... before you do the disconnect.... and since you are having issues already.... that you buy a SGW Extension from ZAutomotive.

Also, SGM extension wasn’t necessary on my Sport JL, to hookup the Ecri bypass.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pulled the plastic; thanks. I used the Ecri device on my 2018 JL Sport. There was more room to work. There is now a bracket in place to make it harder to access. I will take a photo and post.
@Wabujitsu

Whomever does the deed.... tell them to push up firmly on the cable til it goes up no more. Then push tab on back of connector and while wiggling the cable a bit, pull down on the cable..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@Wabujitsu

Additionally sir, this is a 2021 Rubicon I just bought yesterday.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
@Wabujitsu

Whomever does the deed.... tell them to push up firmly on the cable til it goes up no more. Then push tab on back of connector and while wiggling the cable a bit, pull down on the cable..
I had to do that on my Sport. But...on the 2021 Rubi, there’s just NO ROOM for me to do that!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe FCA put in a bracket to keep sticky fingers from unplugging the SGW…I would not doubt them doing this so we can’t use programmers

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Wabujitsu Congrats on the new Rubi! That bracket is the amp for the radio, yeah it’s a pain compared to the old one. Pull the knee trim below the steering wheel, it may help.
Gregj
@Gregj

I had heard about the amp bracket from a couple of guys... but they said they could still get to the connectors though....

For sure, the way to go would be to install an SGW Extension cable and be done with it so to speak.
Deal with the deed one time .. and then just leave the extension in place, so in the future, no more fooling with the difficult disconnect/connect, repeat....

Hope the OP, posts a pic.. I am interested in seeing just how blocked the connectors are .....

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I pulled the front trim panel below the steering wheel to gain easier access.. It is a pain in the ass and you will probably cut your hand some as I did to remove the 2 cables. I was able to remove the cables and use ECRI without any extension cables.

It was actually more difficult than I expected reconnecting them back to their home. That bracket makes it a challenge for sure.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
@Wabujitsu

Thanks for the link for the SGW Extension from ZAutomotive. Just ordered. This will make life easier.

dblankenbaker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of old Jeeps. JLURD ordered 5/7.
These little pliers made removing the two cables remarkably easy...

Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon tempImageWeZkmE
Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon tempImageptVAMj

That said, I will probably go ahead and buy the SGW Extension Cable so I don't have to go back under the dash to unplug.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These little pliers made removing the two cables remarkably easy...

Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon tempImageptVAMj

That said, I will probably go ahead and buy the SGW Extension Cable so I don't have to go back under the dash to unplug.
@dblankenbaker

Tools like that are best avoided.. Chance of damaging the male connector or the female. I know a local guy that damaged the male..

$ well spent to buy the SGW harness.... Install that and be done with it so to speak

Jeep Wrangler JL Disconnecting Security Gateway Module 2021 Rubicon bypass extension cable

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Is this the bracket you’re referring to?

AE70D319-098B-45F2-AFB3-EF5452A7C6ED.jpeg
Sponsored