Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Yeah...it must be nice to use your own generated data as a standard to validate how much better your cover is and then subsequently hawk it....

Banks proved nothing other than he is a good salesman.
Yeah, the thing missing from that conversation is any evidence of failure for using other covers without the "correct" profile.

With all of the complaining people do on the internet, the lack of people complaining about gear failures tells me it's a non-issue and he's selling a solution in search of a problem.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I think heavy duty diff covers are a solution in search of a problem for the vast majority.
Yep; until you hit that one rock when you slip that causes the cover to either bind against the ring gear or the ELD module (on a Rubicon) either leaving you stranded or spending $$$.

For those who do not offroad, I would agree, but at $100ish per axle for Motobilt covers (for example), I would rather have it and never need it versus the other way.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
Yep; until you hit that one rock when you slip that causes the cover to either bind against the ring gear or the ELD module (on a Rubicon) either leaving you stranded or spending $$$.

For those who do not offroad, I would agree, but at $100ish per axle for Motobilt covers (for example), I would rather have it and never need it versus the other way.
Don't respond to part of the statement without acknowledging the rest of it.

as mentioned. a skid plate does make sense.

Last edited:

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Watch Gale Banks discussions on diff covers before buying one, the guy knows aht he's talking about. He has 2 series about the subject:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Watch Gale Banks discussions on diff covers before buying one, the guy knows aht he's talking about. He has 2 series about the subject
1. Do expand on how he knows what he is talking about AND what he has proved along with the problem he has solved.
2. Post the ASTM standards that he used to determine his results.
3. Post the validated objective and certified third party verification of those results.

I will save you the trouble--they are none. It is very easy to make a point when you generate the testing standard and the data and have no 3rd party verification of it.

Great salesman? Check.
Proved anything? Not.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't respond to part of the statement without acknowledging the rest of it.

as mentioned. a skid plate does make sense.
I was not discounting the skid; just highlighting the reasons that you **may** want to replace the OEM covers because the skid does ZERO for a straight line impact into the cover.

For the record, I run both.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
I was not discounting the skid; just highlighting the reasons that you **may** want to replace the OEM covers because the skid does ZERO for a straight line impact into the cover.

For the record, I run both.
I don't agree. But hey we all have opinions and thats cool.

I've got the rough country differential covers. I'd love to see how someone can hit the diff without hitting the skid.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see how someone can hit the diff without hitting the skid.
This is based on the assumption that everything comes from below and based on that I agree, but that is not the only way that something can hit the cover.

If that's never a possibility for you or others then, yes, using only the skid makes sense.

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Do expand on how he knows what he is talking about AND what he has proved along with the problem he has solved.
2. Post the ASTM standards that he used to determine his results.
3. Post the validated objective and certified third party verification of those results.

I will save you the trouble--they are none. It is very easy to make a point when you generate the testing standard and the data and have no 3rd party verification of it.

Great salesman? Check.
Proved anything? Not.
Does your chosen cover manufacturer meet stated specs? I put the info there for people who may just buy any old cover and end up with junk that's less than what came stock.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does your chosen cover manufacturer meet stated specs?
What stated specifications? What specifications apply to differential covers?<---this is my whole point.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What stated specifications? What specifications apply to differential covers?<---this is my whole point.
Actually ASTM DOES have spec for thermal conductivity, etc... & there can be cavitation issues due to poor design & on & on.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually ASTM DOES have spec for thermal conductivity, etc... & there can be cavitation issues due to poor design & on & on.
Really? What are they and how do they apply and where? If there are specifications, then why didn't Banks use them and show certified proof his covers met them?

What proof do you have that any of these covers are of poor design and have issues with either thermal conductivity or cavitation?

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have used Mag Hytec covers on my Rams for decades with no problems. In fact, the diff lube runs cooler with them than with the stock cover.
I have used Motobilt covers on my Jeep but they came about .002" or so out of flat. I may try Cav Fab next because they say that they surface theirs. I like to install them with RTV so they help add strength, vs. the stock or other thick gasket.
Sponsored