Vehicle Showcase

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
I filled mine up to the top the day I picked it up and at 2500 miles I have 3/4 of a tank left. I can see 9k out of a tank if its gauge is accurate. My 2018 3500 uses very little DEF except when I am towing something.
I'm in the same boat. Around 3500 miles and I still have 2/3 tank of DEF. Haven't added any since I took delivery. 50/50 city/highway driving.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Here is a little update for DEF consumption on the Eco in my Ram 1500:

Filled to the top at 1021 miles since the dealership DID NOT fill it when I bought it.

Added 2.5 gal exactly today (got lucky, but calculated roughly when it would take 2.5gal) at 3186 miles.

I am averaging about 23mpg over the 2165 miles on the truck since I topped off the DEF.

This averages out to 2.6% DEF to fuel usage, which is pretty spot on for what's been posted online about DEF consumption.

2.5gal over 2165 miles is 866mpg of DEF.

Hope this data helps others out who are wondering about their DEF usage. The programming may be different between the Jeep and the Ram, but DEF usage shouldn't dramatically be different than my numbers.....

oalvarez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JULRDiesel. Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Macan, Porsche 993
Maybe it has been said here, but my DEF gauge fluctuates. In the last week, it has read between 78% and 90% (at 200mi I topped mine off to about 97%, the Jeep now has around 750mi on it).

Give yours a look to see if it does the same.

Sponsored

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So far I have had to Fill my DEF tank at about 4200 miles ( I hit the 500 miles till wont start warning). Now Im at 6200 miles and about 30% DEF left. Not thrilled about the usage so far. I am about 20mpg's averaging about 320 miles per tank of gas ( I am riding on 2.5" lift and 35's so I think that's respectable but dont know)

Jdog.fl24

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have filled the DEF tank with 5 gallons of DEF and I am at 6,478 miles, the Def Gauge is at 7/8 full.
75% rural/suburb (avg speed 45 mph) and 25% expressway driving (avg speed 70mph).

I check the mpg every fill up, worst 21 mpg, best 26 mpg.

The Jeep computer calculated MPG is at least 1 mpg off from actual math. I use "The Fast Lane" method of filling the tank: fill until auto shutoff, wait 30 seconds fill up until auto shutoff to get a consistent full tank measurement.

DEF Gauge.jpg

JL3rubi

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Barracuda, 2020 Road Glide Special
Occupation
Technology Sales
I figured I'd find others with the same complaint here. I blow threw mine ever 3K miles. VERY disappointing. I have 7K on mine now after this weekend, had just filled up at 6200. Checked last night and it still shows full at this point on the second tank I'm on. I was going to take to the dealer to bitch, but I'm pretty sure that will be a total waste of a day when they just tell me it's fine. So far I'd say the 3.0 is a bit overrated. The 3.0 Ram is way different power wise. They must be pulling a ton of power out in the tune, because this is not the same power as the 3.0 Ram. I'm about ready to dump mine in favor of a 392 given how disapointed I am at the performance. Gets a little better mileage than my 2019 turbo 4, but not enough to warrant the huge price increase. FCA needs to get a flash sent out to unleash these things, it's leaving way too much on the table for what the motor is capable of.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I figured I'd find others with the same complaint here. I blow threw mine ever 3K miles. VERY disappointing. I have 7K on mine now after this weekend, had just filled up at 6200. Checked last night and it still shows full at this point on the second tank I'm on. I was going to take to the dealer to bitch, but I'm pretty sure that will be a total waste of a day when they just tell me it's fine. So far I'd say the 3.0 is a bit overrated. The 3.0 Ram is way different power wise. They must be pulling a ton of power out in the tune, because this is not the same power as the 3.0 Ram. I'm about ready to dump mine in favor of a 392 given how disapointed I am at the performance. Gets a little better mileage than my 2019 turbo 4, but not enough to warrant the huge price increase. FCA needs to get a flash sent out to unleash these things, it's leaving way too much on the table for what the motor is capable of.
Could be your specific motor because very few folks on here have expressed disappointment in the 3.0’s performance. It’s obviously capable of more with a simple chip tune given the 1500’s hp and tq advantage, but I’d get yours on a dyno to compare to some of the numbers that have been posted here if it seems like more than a 38lb-ft deficit. Re your DEF usage, the only way you get 3k miles out of a tank is it’s not actually full to the filler neck, it’s leaking, your average fuel economy is 8-12 or some combination of the above. My DEF injector had a small leak around the flange because of a piece of weld spatter that was preventing a full seal, but the rig has been pretty close to the 10% reduction in DEF range based on my hand-calculated fuel economy being about 10% below the EPA projected average from my mods. If you’re certain none of those things are true, then a >50% reduction in expected DEF range is a warranty problem.

JL3rubi

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Barracuda, 2020 Road Glide Special
Occupation
Technology Sales
Could be your specific motor because very few folks on here have expressed disappointment in the 3.0’s performance. It’s obviously capable of more with a simple chip tune given the 1500’s hp and tq advantage, but I’d get yours on a dyno to compare to some of the numbers that have been posted here if it seems like more than a 38lb-ft deficit. Re your DEF usage, the only way you get 3k miles out of a tank is it’s not actually full to the filler neck, it’s leaking, your average fuel economy is 8-12 or some combination of the above. My DEF injector had a small leak around the flange because of a piece of weld spatter that was preventing a full seal, but the rig has been pretty close to the 10% reduction in DEF range based on my hand-calculated fuel economy being about 10% below the EPA projected average from my mods. If you’re certain none of those things are true, then a >50% reduction in expected DEF range is a warranty problem.
I'm working on getting on MRP's Dyno in Elsinor here over the next couple weeks specifically because of what you stated. I hand calculate and get at best 21MPG, but I'm also cruise control at 75 on 35's with 4:56 gears. I was on factory 33's for the first 5K miles and bested 24MPG driving at 75 heading to the river. MPG aint really my complaint because I wont drive slow enough to get the MPG the factory states. And now I've changed gears and tires the MPG I get it likely to be expected with how I drive. It will do better if I grandpa it down the freeway at 65, but that's just painful. I dont have another diesel I can drive to see if I'm just being unreasonable so it's hard to tell without taking it to the dyno, so that's where I'm going. Once I have that I'll make the next decision. My local dealer really sucks, so I have zero condifence in them putting any effort into resolving why it's drinking so much DEF. It dont leak DEF for sure, and it took 4.5 gal each tank. I feel there has to be something wrong for sure, just dont have the power I expected having as much torque as posted. I've driven the RAM with 3.0 which is heavier heavier and it moved out hard. Others have driven mine and looked at me like "dang man, it's cool, but not for the price tag over a turbo 4." Hope to have it on a Dyno in the next 2 weeks and will post up the results.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'm working on getting on MRP's Dyno in Elsinor here over the next couple weeks specifically because of what you stated. I hand calculate and get at best 21MPG, but I'm also cruise control at 75 on 35's with 4:56 gears. I was on factory 33's for the first 5K miles and bested 24MPG driving at 75 heading to the river. MPG aint really my complaint because I wont drive slow enough to get the MPG the factory states. And now I've changed gears and tires the MPG I get it likely to be expected with how I drive. It will do better if I grandpa it down the freeway at 65, but that's just painful. I dont have another diesel I can drive to see if I'm just being unreasonable so it's hard to tell without taking it to the dyno, so that's where I'm going. Once I have that I'll make the next decision. My local dealer really sucks, so I have zero condifence in them putting any effort into resolving why it's drinking so much DEF. It dont leak DEF for sure, and it took 4.5 gal each tank. I feel there has to be something wrong for sure, just dont have the power I expected having as much torque as posted. I've driven the RAM with 3.0 which is heavier heavier and it moved out hard. Others have driven mine and looked at me like "dang man, it's cool, but not for the price tag over a turbo 4." Hope to have it on a Dyno in the next 2 weeks and will post up the results.
Yea based on your fuel economy you should see a 20-25% reduction in DEF range at worst...if the dyno is way down too then you can add that to the list of issues for the warranty claim.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Ok, I've said this before and I'll say it again......your DEF usage is a percentage of your fuel usage. You have to keep track of your actual fuel use/MPG and your actual DEF use over the same exact period of miles and calculate it out.

JL3rubi....I did this calculation for you since you haven't. If you averaged 21mpg over the 3200 miles and used 4.6 gal of DEF........you are using DEF at a 3% rate and around 700mpg of DEF.....this is NORMAL. You may be down on power and a dyno is the only way to prove that.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Ok, I've said this before and I'll say it again......your DEF usage is a percentage of your fuel usage. You have to keep track of your actual fuel use/MPG and your actual DEF use over the same exact period of miles and calculate it out.

JL3rubi....I did this calculation for you since you haven't. If you averaged 21mpg over the 3200 miles and used 4.6 gal of DEF........you are using DEF at a 3% rate and around 700mpg of DEF.....this is NORMAL. You may be down on power and a dyno is the only way to prove that.
Sponsored