Sponsored

Dealer Installed A/C

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Update on the runaround... Feel free to roast me for buying a vehicle without AC, my dad can still beat up your dad!
Wife and I decided that we couldn't get our point across over the phone so we insisted on a meeting with the service and sales managers. Service manager told us that it's taking longer than expected because they use Vintage Air, a third party, to perform the installation and they forgot to order a part, and it's not a Mopar unit like I was promised. He swears up and down that it's standard procedure and it will be covered under my extended warranty if there are any issues. That almost escalated from verbal to physical... Sales manager told me the vehicle was taken to the shop and should have been ready last Tuesday the 21st. I never received a call last Tuesday so I walked into the service manager's office to get an update and he told me that the vehicle was just dropped off that morning. He swore up and down that the salesman dropped the ball, misunderstanding, yadda yadda... I convinced him to write a 'we owe' for a set of roof rails and made it clear that everything better be done exactly as promised, or we would be having a meeting with the GM and owner. As of last Friday, he promised to have the vehicle back in my possession today, the 28th. I'm starting to wonder if there was an accident with my vehicle and they've been trying to fix that...
The salesman offered to give me a discount on a 4 pin wiring harness because I mentioned installing a trailer brake. Even my wife laughed at that...

The loaner car now has over 1,200 miles, good luck selling that as 'new'.
LOL. Vintage air is an aftermarket AC manufacturer specializing in vintage vehicles. So you're not even getting Mopar parts. I would run far away from this deal.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If they say you can’t get out of this hellhole of a deal, just laugh in their faces.
You really ought to sue them. Might get a free new Jeep.
With air conditioning.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
So sorry to hear this update.. It is not like you knew all going into this. You were told one thing and that is what you used for your decision.

Unfortunately, they were not honest with you. Do you have anything in writing specifying this was expected to be OEM parts installed? Anything in writing will help otherwise this is a raw deal and maybe time to speak with a lawyer. I'm not sure how they will make this work like factory to be integrated into all the ECM controls necessary to operate it. They should have never let this happen to a new vehicle. It is their fault. You may get something back that blows cold air but not sure what other things could be upset.

Wishing nothing but the best of luck for you..

OP
OP

Riderkjo

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 16 Crosstrek
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately we drove the vehicle off the lot in late April and the license plates came in last week, so I think it's too late to back out now.
I called the sales manager today and he promised that it would be ready tomorrow, clean and with a full tank of gas. I'm just wondering if I can leverage any last minute compensation..

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Man, the fact that it won’t be oem parts is upsetting. Sure that dealer may warranty it, but another may look at you like wtf did you do to this jeep.

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
Ask them to let you trade into a sport with factory a/c or whatever they have close on the lot and give you full value for your unfortunate purchase.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I hope I'm wrong here, but I'll make the early prediction that the vintage AC will not be up to your expectations on a brand new Jeep.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I’d lawyer up.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Ask them to let you trade into a sport with factory a/c or whatever they have close on the lot and give you full value for your unfortunate purchase.
It's a mess.

The dealer will never let him trade even. The dealer has no incentive to do that. The dealer won't take back something they were lucky to get rid of. That dealer knew it would have been next to impossible to sell a vehicle without A/C in Texas. Now the new owner has a aftermarket A/C in a brand new JL. That dealer will want nothing to do with that JL. Hopefully the problem won't continue to haunt the OP with problems later. Hopefully FCA does not void warranty for something.

Resale will probably be lower then a like JL with factory A/C. Resale in the future will be problematic because all dealers run the VINs when evaluating trades. The VIN will list all the options. The VIN will probably come back as a JL without A/C. Same with a private party sale if they run a Carfax.

OP might have legal recourse if he has something in writing and not a verbal promise stating he would be getting a factory Mopar A/C.

Hopefully the OP ends up with something he can live with.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
Run away from it. Even if you should lose some money.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’m still holding out hope. It’s adding a compressor and associated under hood items. Not rocket science and all the controls should be installed already. Good luck, I’d recommend a mopar compressor and parts though. The fact they are having vintage air do it is highly unusual to me...

Brett

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Lots of folks have their fingers crossed wishing you good luck on getting your Jeep back today with ice cold air!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Unfortunately we drove the vehicle off the lot in late April and the license plates came in last week, so I think it's too late to back out now.
I called the sales manager today and he promised that it would be ready tomorrow, clean and with a full tank of gas. I'm just wondering if I can leverage any last minute compensation..
:fingerscrossed: I'd push for weather tech mats or the Mopar equivalent. Hmm, maybe 5 years of free oil and tire rotation (if you trust them). O maybe some bikini top. Whatever you ask for, get it in writing:like: Anything since they wasted your time and exaggerated!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
@Riderkjo Good luck with your new Jeep. I don't think having an aftermarket air system is quite the end of the world like others are implying. The installation company looks like they know what they're doing and if it enabled you to get into a Jeep then it is what it is. Heck... their techs are probably better trained than FCA techs (or so it seems sometimes). I've had aftermarket systems installed and they worked just as well as factory.

People replace a vast number of important Jeep parts with aftermarket like suspensions, axles, transmissions, bumpers, doors, roof, the list is endless. But an aftermarket A/C and... wow... the chorus of "flee for your life!" was deafening. I wouldn't be overly concerned about performance or reliability. Granted it took longer than promised and they may be willing to compensate you for that to an extent.

For you aftermarket was a way from Point A to Point B. Unless the dealer specifically stated it was a MOPAR Factory air system IN WRITING there is no breach of contract. I don't know what you paid for the air but presumably it was a decent deal. I would find out who is backing the warranty on the air (dealer or Vintage Air) and get it in writing.

Pics of your Jeep are mandatory once you get it! Have fun!
Sponsored