1. Riderkjo

Riderkjo Active Member

First Name:
    Kris
    Vehicle(s):
    18 JL Sport, 16 Crosstrek
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I made a deal with the stealership a few weeks ago and purchased an '18 JL Sport, manual transmission and power nothing. The vehicle didn't come with A/C, so we managed to work it into the sale because we need it 11 months of the year in SE Texas. After 'waiting my turn' to drop it off and going back and forth about parts availability, the dealer told me to bring it in and the mechanic should have everything taken care of in 7-10 days (there was an issue with the rear defroster connector being broken).
    Does it really take 7-10 days to solder a connector and install a compressor/Freon? The dealer has had the vehicle for 6 business days already and It's been a hassle to get any straight answers from the salesman, "managers", and parts department...

2. ads75

ads75 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2016 Acura RDX
    Liked:
    I am not a mechanic, so I wouldn't tell them how long it should take them to install it. If its been 6 days, thats frustrating, but still less than their projected time.

But it is more than installing a compressor. Also has to be hooked into the ventilation system. I am guessing installing AC is something they don't do too often, most people probably buy it with the AC, or they don't want the AC since they will be running topless.

3. Dkretden

Dkretden Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 wrangler (hopefully)
    Liked:
    I am actually surprised that there are any Jeeps in Houston on a dealer lot without AC.

Which dealership?

4. JimLee

JimLee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 JLU
    Liked:
    Oh yea, that's not a job I would want to tackle, pretty much have to remove the whole dash and front end of the vehicle.

5. OP
    OP
    Riderkjo

Riderkjo Active Member

First Name:
    Kris
    Vehicle(s):
    18 JL Sport, 16 Crosstrek
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Bayway Chrysler in Pasadena. There aren't many that don't already have AC.

6. mwilk012

mwilk012 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    USN
    I haven’t done A/C work on any modern vehicle, but it’s never an easy job. Installing the whole system sounds miserable.

JimLee likes this.
  7. Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    #7 May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Why would you buy a vehicle without air conditioning if you live in Houston? I’m asking seriously. I did that in 1991 because it was a super stripped down car and I was dirt poor at the time. They agreed to do dealer installed AC for $500 and I had problems with it the entire time I owned that car.

8. dsgrey

dsgrey Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    It wouldn't take 7-10 days but I suspect it's not being worked on full-time. Just filler work outside their higher retail labor rate. I'm in Texas too but don't recall seeing new vehicles (excluding work trucks) w/o AC as an option unless I think back to the 70's or early 80's. I'm sure some models can be special ordered w/o AC but I can't imagine a dealership ordering one for regular inventory in Texas.

9. Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Dealerships will have 1 super stripped down base model vehicle in their inventory so that they can “truthfully” advertise that they’re offering a super low price on Jeep Wranglers. They only have 1 or 2 at that price.

I just rode with a colleague in his company truck who has an F150 with no power locks or windows. But it did have AC. If they order my new one like that I’m going to be pissed.

LincolnSixAlpha, Dan S and Sean L like this.
  10. D60

D60 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    I have an '07 F150 like that as a parts runner. I don't mind it much, and I am glad it has a/c, even in Colo. Love the rubber floors that come in base models. The best part of base pickups? A real transfer case lever!!

Anyway OP, please let us know how you come out. I didn't even know dealer -installed a/c was still a thing.

11. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Unlimited
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    Adding A/C to a modern vehicle has to be a nightmare. They'll have lots of bracket installation, hose connections, electrical lines, sensors, buttons, etc. to run. Then they'll have to make it communicate with the PCM. I'm shocked they even offered to do it. And it's got to be at an astronomical cost too. The $800 they used to charge for the factory option was a steal.

LincolnSixAlpha likes this.
  12. D60

D60 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    Hell as far back as '04 when the Colorado/Canyon came out a/c was just standard - you couldn't get one withOUT it. I'm also surprised Jeep even makes it optional, although I guess given the nature of the Wrangler I can understand it.

13. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR-6speed JLUR-8 speed, F350
    Liked:
    My guess is it has all the vents and possible some controls just doesn’t have the compressor, evap etc. Wouldn’t pencil out to have a dash designed and built for the few w/o AC

Brett

brazos likes this.
  14. D60

D60 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    I don't disagree but I would think the PCM may have to be alerted, or have the option "turned on." I think it'd want to know for idle control and fan control if nothing else.

I wonder if vehicles with remote start were available sans a/c? And if so I wonder if remote start will be able to engage dealer-installed a/c on hot days?

15. LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I guess I would question the following... Do you think that the dealer's mechanics are sent out to receive training to install an actual A/C system in a modern vehicle? Replace a defective component, sure... Install from scratch? Probably no. Couple that with ECU programming that would likely need to occur. Keep in mind that damn near everything these days is controlled or monitored by the ECU. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't see this as a standard delivery item by a dealer when likely 98% of the vehicles made today come with A/C from the factory.

JLUin818 and WXman like this.