Cold start sputtering

yao

First Name
wenjing
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019sahara
we encountered the same problem,the dealer's solution to brush the program,but the problem has never been solved.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
we encountered the same problem,the dealer's solution to brush the program,but the problem has never been solved.
Hi @yao !

If you'd like us to look into your situation further to see where we can be of assistance, please send our @JeepCares team a private message. Otherwise, please keep us updated on your dealer's progress! Thanks in advance.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Actually started having this very recently....whenever the engine is dead cold, will last for around 10 seconds or so and smooth out. Acceleration, MPG and driving appears to be fine but definitely am concerned.

Roughly 53,000 so I am closing in on needing new plugs. Running Mishimoto CAI and IC with DV+ but never had any problems. Would like to see what other people find out what the real issue is.

EDIT: Checking my MPG I definitely am taking a hit the last recent refill and an increase in the sputtering happening a bit worse each cold start. Reading up on general automotive causes, this could be the EGR valve stuck OPEN. Some mechanic internet sources say 50,000mi generally should be cleaning or replacing the EGR so this makes sense around when I'm seeing this happening.

EGR Part No. 05281535AF
O-Ring No. 68385076AA

Considering replacing it myself first or cleaning it if I don't want to take stuff apart. Anyone have diagrams of where it is? Best way to clean it on turbos?

EDIT Again:

Thank you FCA for this, shows where and how to remove the EGR cause of a small 2018 recall:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/jl_csn_u77-pdf.98323/

Looks like itā€™s also best to replace the hose and clamps if doing the valve.

Last edited:

fitz1015

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Actually started having this very recently....whenever the engine is dead cold, will last for around 10 seconds or so and smooth out. Acceleration, MPG and driving appears to be fine but definitely am concerned.

Roughly 53,000 so I am closing in on needing new plugs. Running Mishimoto CAI and IC with DV+ but never had any problems. Would like to see what other people find out what the real issue is.

EDIT: Checking my MPG I definitely am taking a hit the last recent refill and an increase in the sputtering happening a bit worse each cold start. Reading up on general automotive causes, this could be the EGR valve stuck OPEN. Some mechanic internet sources say 50,000mi generally should be cleaning or replacing the EGR so this makes sense around when I'm seeing this happening.

EGR Part No. 05281535AF
O-Ring No. 68385076AA

Considering replacing it myself first or cleaning it if I don't want to take stuff apart. Anyone have diagrams of where it is? Best way to clean it on turbos?

EDIT Again:

Thank you FCA for this, shows where and how to remove the EGR cause of a small 2018 recall:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/jl_csn_u77-pdf.98323/

Looks like itā€™s also best to replace the hose and clamps if doing the valve.

I am still waiting on the dealer. the new turbo is still not here yet. the new date for the part to be at the dealer is now 2/17.

but i will update when we have some more news.

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed taking a long spirited drive has reduced the sputtering. Haven't had it happen since my last post. Did order new spark plugs and when weather clears up I'm going to take a clean the EGR.

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Getting mine looked at tomorrow. It sputtered this morning so it'll probably do the same for them tomorrow morning (I'm dropping it off tonight). I'll update when I hear back from them.

fitz1015

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
We got back our JLU back from the dealership last week. New turbo and o2 sensor seems to have fixed our problem (knocking on wood).

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Just got a call from the dealership. They said it was a software update... I'm guessing I'll be posting here again shortly about how it's still doing the same thing.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't had it happen since taking the much longer route to work every day and having taken a few long trips on the weekend. At least for me I think it was caused by frequent short 10-15min trips in the city full of stop and go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
So far so good after the software update. Conditions have been pretty much the same as before when it was doing it

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Probably not your problem but my previous 2020 JL had an internal coolant leak that would force coolant into two cylinders after engine shut down and cool down.
It would do and sound exactly like that including the white smoke for several seconds. Then it would run great.
After a head gasket replacement, it still did the same thing verified with a borescope.
Jeep wanted to replace the engine. I traded out of it.
If software has at least temporally fixed the problem, I doubt you have the same problem that I did.

I was loosing coolant as a result of my problem but minute amounts. How is the coolant level in the engine coolant reservoir?

JustaJL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2.0t
Occupation
Owner, Driveline Tech and Fabrication
Our 2020 JLU just started missing at initial startup in the morning. No codes and no check engine lights. Gonna need to make an appointment to have it checked out.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Well after 30 days in the dealership for cold start backfiring they can not fix it so they ordered a new engine that will be installed this week.
How about an update on that NEW ENGINE?

Dr. O)lllll(O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Mine also sounded bad and metallic on cold startup and idles above 1500 initially. Dealer started with software update. Then charged me for a throttle body service. No improvement; maybe even worsening. Itā€™s now been back at the dealer the last 2 weeks as they try to open a new star case on it. Jeep cares initially followed me with this problem, then broke contact after the dealer said they couldnā€™t diagnose because ā€œthe engine bay was too dirty.ā€ Apparently ā€˜Jeep caresā€™ is a misnomer. Tired of driving loaner cherokees. Might be looking at a bronco soon
Sponsored