Sponsored

Cold Air Intake by Mopar?

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Is this actually a build option or an error on the build page? According to my 2021 build sheet I have the 3.73 gears in my diesel rubicon build but on the build website it says 4.10 gears. So trying to see if anyone was actually able to order the cai? I also didn’t realize the front trail camera was an option. So if this was an option that’ll be two boxes I didn’t check. My sticker was 64,435
I just built two 2021 JL's one a Sport and the other a Rubicon. The Rubicon came with 3.73 gears (which would be the same as the 2020' models) strangely enough the Sport has 3.45 gears. There is no option that I can tell on the Jeep build website to configure an ecodiesel with 4.10's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air Intake by Mopar? Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.26.13 AM

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air Intake by Mopar? Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.26.43 AM
Sponsored

DrRay81

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
2021 rubicon build on jeep website shows 4:10 gears. also for 2021's the diesel option should be $4500 not $4000. also spoke with my dealer and he said that there is no cold air intake available on their build system for the diesel

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air Intake by Mopar? image

Last edited:

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Help me understand the hood vent really quick...with the door open/off it’s wide open to the air box? So in Florida, you would have to stop driving, pop the hood, and put in the little door every time you drove into rain? Or does it somehow separate and drain the water out the bottom of the filter box? I know it’s out there (challenger shaker hood for example) just curious how it works in this application. Thanks!

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Hi, a couple of questions on the Mopar cold air intake:
1) has anyone dyno’d it before/after and know the performance improvement (if any). I have a 2.0 turbo with eboost and would be especially curious about that.
2) has anyone had a dealer install and if so, what did it cost? (I’m not keen about cutting my hood myself....)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi, a couple of questions on the Mopar cold air intake:
1) has anyone dyno’d it before/after and know the performance improvement (if any). I have a 2.0 turbo with eboost and would be especially curious about that.
2) has anyone had a dealer install and if so, what did it cost? (I’m not keen about cutting my hood myself....)
You'll likely get a throaty intake roar, but no performance gains of any kind. In the past I added CAI to several cars - all show, no go. But...that's okay. They sound/look nice. The hood-cutting would also scare me. And, the dealers probably have very limited experience doing the cuts as well.

In order to get performance gains you'll need to pack more air into the engine; either by introducing cold air which is more dense (therefore greater volume of air) and/or by introducing a ram-air effect (like a forward-facing hood scoop) that will only really work at higher speeds. The side-mounted location won't get a ram-air effect.

Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
cold air on a TURBO diesel is about as useful as a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car. the turbo is going to heat up the air pre intake no matter how it is piped in. I mean, yeah if our factory intakes were restrictive like back in the day on the old YJ's then sure, this would be great, but our airbox does really work well. Now if they can make this a snorkel system, now that would be nice! Id'e never use it, but It would still be nice and I'de most likely install it because why not!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but was just curious why the factory-installed Mopar cold air intake option isn't available on 3.6 w/automatic (configurator has only ever allowed it when selecting both manual and the non-eTorque 3.6). Is it a fitment issue that restricts installation of this and other intake systems or some other issue?

sgterik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Has anyone ordered this with the EcoDiesel? I noticed when I built one that it was an option but the picture shows the layout the same as the 3.6 or 2.0 which it is not and would have to go out the opposite side due to battery and fuse box layout.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Has anyone ordered this with the EcoDiesel? I noticed when I built one that it was an option but the picture shows the layout the same as the 3.6 or 2.0 which it is not and would have to go out the opposite side due to battery and fuse box layout.
No! This is not an option with the 3.0 ED.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I was trying to figure out why this thread exists in this section of the forums when it has not been an option for the diesel.

Sponsored

Captain Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, 1999 Cherokee Classic
Notice to ANYONE that has this kit. IF you DON'T want to cut up your hood to install this cold air intake system, But you still want the rest of the kit, I am looking to buy the "Hood Opening Plastic Parts only". The outer plastic piece and inner metal piece. Email me if you would like to sell these pieces and get some of your money back if your not going to use them. Thank you.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
cold air on a TURBO diesel is about as useful as a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car. the turbo is going to heat up the air pre intake no matter how it is piped in.
This is an older post but I just needed to add my $.02:

1st, cold air is just as important to a forced induction car as a naturally-aspired one. That's why they spend so much time developing intercooler technology (which cools the air going into a turbo.).

2nd, rear spoilers (or front, for that matter) have absolutely nothing to do with which wheels are driven. They are an aerodynamic component, there to help offset lift, and balance the car at high speeds.

Last edited:

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
If someone is considering it definitely pay the $495.00. I cut mine today and while not hard, a mistake would suck.

20200224_211346.jpg
Have you posted a video of how it sounds? Do you have to cut the hood for this CAI? I noticed the size of the tube is larger than stalk and the top air filter box is smooth. Just thinking these 2 factors for me would be good enough.

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
This is an older post but I just needed to add my $.02:

1st, cold air is just as important to a forced induction car as a naturally-aspired one. That's why they spend so much time developing intercooler technology (which cools the air going into a turbo.).

2nd, rear spoilers (or front, for that matter) have absolutely nothing to do with which wheels are driven. They are an aerodynamic component, there to help offset lift, and balance the car at high speeds.
Is it worth it if you're not gonna cut the hood?

Mikecoffman911

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry JLURXR
Occupation
Engineer/Builder/living a great life!!!!
Notice to ANYONE that has this kit. IF you DON'T want to cut up your hood to install this cold air intake system, But you still want the rest of the kit, I am looking to buy the "Hood Opening Plastic Parts only". The outer plastic piece and inner metal piece. Email me if you would like to sell these pieces and get some of your money back if your not going to use them. Thank you.
That is the critical part - otherwise you are just sucking hot air from the engine bay.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air Intake by Mopar? E3085341-775C-4D97-A07E-D1014CE7E126
Sponsored