Clutch problems

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Lifelong manual transmission driver, including three MT Jeeps. But if I were ordering today, I would order the 8AT with a heavy heart. It's simply bizarre that Jeep hasn't addressed the obvious defects in the design of the JT's manual transmission.

I hope you don't replace your clutch with factory parts. At least upgrade to a stronger aftermarket unit.
To play Devil’s advocate, it’s a small number of Jeeps coming off the line with defective transmissions. Dropping $2k on after market clutch is still less expensive than optioning the 8sp.
Sponsored

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just brought mine in to service here in Manhattan (2021 Sport S). Slipping clutch as of late, only 10,000 miles on it. Driving it new since January, paid cash out of pocket. Let's see what they say next week.......

Side note: anyone here used South Bend Clutch? if so, could you recommend which model? There are stage 1 and stage 2 with different choices pertaining to "daily driver" and "endurance."

Thanks so much-
Eric

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler sport 6spd
Just brought mine in to service here in Manhattan (2021 Sport S). Slipping clutch as of late, only 10,000 miles on it. Driving it new since January, paid cash out of pocket. Let's see what they say next week.......

Side note: anyone here used South Bend Clutch? if so, could you recommend which model? There are stage 1 and stage 2 with different choices pertaining to "daily driver" and "endurance."

Thanks so much-
Eric
I would also like to know some more on which south bend “kit” and where to buy.
also curious if their clutch kits come with a new flywheel. From what I see they do not. So that adds another expense and part To locate. I can do the work myself, just having trouble finding places that have these parts in stock and some knowledge about them.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
No, that is a broken clutch. What absolutely sucks is that some guys are getting them like this from the factory. I feel extremely lucky that o got a good one after reading threads like these.
So what is broken? Clutch is pretty simple: throughout bearing operated by clutch slave cylinder, pushes on fingers, fingers pivot, pulls pressure plate away from clutch disc while compressing pressure plate springs, release pedal; springs push clutch disc and sandwich it between flywheel and pressure plate. What exactly is broken???? If the disc is oil contaminated or already glazed and burnt it will slip. Are you saying the clutch comes from the factory unable to handle the torque of the motor?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So what is broken? Clutch is pretty simple: throughout bearing operated by clutch slave cylinder, pushes on fingers, fingers pivot, pulls pressure plate away from clutch disc while compressing pressure plate springs, release pedal; springs push clutch disc and sandwich it between flywheel and pressure plate. What exactly is broken???? If the disc is oil contaminated or already glazed and burnt it will slip. Are you saying the clutch comes from the factory unable to handle the torque of the motor?
At first, some were coming of the line improperly bled. The first recall addressed that. The second recall is a safeguard to prevent catastrophic failure should slippage generate too much heat. Some who have replaced their clutch with aftermarket speculate that lack of a pilot bearing could be to blame. (This was only discovered when the first Centerforce guinea pigs hit the scene.) If the pressure plate has even a little wobble, it could be making contact on the “low” side. In reality, though, no one knows because Jeep won’t say. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Huh! Never heard synchros, heard gear whine when synchros were at work matching input shaft speed so dogs would mesh. What do you mean "almost sounds like the synchros are barely making it". Making what? The synchros have nothing to do with clutch slipping and everything to do with matching input shaft speed to gear selected so the shift can be completed. When you say "shifter locks in tighter" do you mean there is no play in shifter position after gear selection? Isn't that a good thing? Bottom line is still clutch slip is reason clutch burns up. Why is clutch slipping? The clutch either cannot take the torque of the motor without slipping or the slipping is occuring when a foot is on the clutch pedal. One is caused by the way the jeep is driven, the other is a weak clutch and an alert driver would be able to detect a slipping clutch.
Angry much? Rant much?

I understand full well how a synchromesh transmission works. I'm wondering if maybe my clutch and the OP's clutch isn't fully engaging. In my case maybe causing a drag on the input shaft and causing the synchros not to spin up fast enough causing a slight grinding noise when the dogs engage. I'm not sure if I have a clutch problem as well and don't know it yet as it is a new vehicle. There are a lot of nuances to the clutch and transmission on the JL Wrangler that may be a sign of a problem or just take some getting used to.

I had a Chevy cruze and if I fast shifted 1->2, I'd always get a grinding noise because the synchro couldn't get the shaft up to speed in order to make a smooth shift. That synchro "couldn't keep up" with the shift, causing a grind.

Mebryant

First Name
MIchael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
2018 JLU Sport S - 27,000 miles and the clutch needs replaced. We drive it mostly on the highway to go camping. I've been driving a stick for 18 years, and never replaced a clutch before 80k miles, and had some that were fine when I sold them at 160k. I'm an attorney and plan on exploring my options about filing a lawsuit. I'll let you know. Clearly there is a problem that they simply don't want to admit and address.

I suspect that when I can buy a Bronco without waiting a year for delivery I'll trade it in.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
2018 JLU Sport S - 27,000 miles and the clutch needs replaced. We drive it mostly on the highway to go camping. I've been driving a stick for 18 years, and never replaced a clutch before 80k miles, and had some that were fine when I sold them at 160k. I'm an attorney and plan on exploring my options about filing a lawsuit. I'll let you know. Clearly there is a problem that they simply don't want to admit and address.

I suspect that when I can buy a Bronco without waiting a year for delivery I'll trade it in.
Broncos are having issues too... the first model year for any car usually isn't a good idea. But to each their own. Good luck.

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I was very disappointed with my clutch from the moment I took delivery. Didn't wait for it to fail, after my first off road trip I really hated it. Found out it had a dual mass flywheel (junk) and as soon as CenterForce released there Hi Inertia clutch/flywheel kit I jumped on it. Almost 2 years, way better pedal feel and so much easier to drive.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I’ve had 0 issues with my factory clutch.
I agree, my factory clutch works as designed. It took me a little while to get used to the new design and now I can zip right up my inclined driveway in reverse with no issues. The clutch had to teach ME how to drive it.

mjnexus30a

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2918 JLU

I have 2018 JLU with 41,000 miles and my clutch needs to be replaced. The dealership said that the clutch plate overheated causing the failure. Jeep refuses to pay for the repair. This is my 4th Jeep and by far the worst. It is stock and has the death wobble. I can’t drive it over 50 mph. The windshield rusted out at 18,000 miles not to mention numerous other things.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

20k miles and the clutch burned up?
Anyone having premature clutch failure on 2019 sport s?
I Love driving this thing and I’ve had a 91,97 Both with a manual transmission. I never had to replace the clutch. Anyone?
Mine burned up at 20k. Went with the centerforce clutch and it works great

Z3r0jimmy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
no warranty coverage. Out of pocket if I go that route.
im looking at aftermarket options but also not sure on lead times and supply at the moment. Need it fixed in the next couple weeks.
My clutched bottomed out on me today, it’s not bouncing back anymore and can’t shift and I got just off the phone with mopar and they’re telling me it’s 100% covered by powertrain 🤷🏻‍♂️

JeepCamper

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
20k miles and the clutch burned up?
Anyone having premature clutch failure on 2019 sport s?
I Love driving this thing and I’ve had a 91,97 Both with a manual transmission. I never had to replace the clutch. Anyone?
Sponsored