Kbag

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl sport s
20k miles and the clutch burned up?
Anyone having premature clutch failure on 2019 sport s?
I Love driving this thing and I’ve had a 91,97 Both with a manual transmission. I never had to replace the clutch. Anyone?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kbag

Kbag

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl sport s
Yes, They did something with a hose but didn’t touch the clutch itself.

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler sport 6spd
40k on ours and they are telling us new clutch and flywheel for $2,300
I've owned 7 manual transmission cars/trucks and my wife has owned 4 manual transmission cars.
Never replaced a clutch in any of them. Well over a million miles driven in total with them.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Well this doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling on my stock clutch longevity. Are they replacing your clutch under warranty? Or are you going with an aftermarket option?

Sponsored

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling on my stock clutch longevity. Are they replacing your clutch under warranty? Or are you going with an aftermarket option?
no warranty coverage. Out of pocket if I go that route.
im looking at aftermarket options but also not sure on lead times and supply at the moment. Need it fixed in the next couple weeks.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
20k miles and the clutch burned up?
Anyone having premature clutch failure on 2019 sport s?
I Love driving this thing and I’ve had a 91,97 Both with a manual transmission. I never had to replace the clutch. Anyone?
That is absurd!!!!

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
With my 60+ years of driving experience and some years as a mechanic I am wondering if there is some reason these clutches are burning up that I've never heard of. Slipping is the only way I'm aware of for clutch burnout. Can you tell when it is slipping? Can the torque of the motor over power the clutch and make it slip with just throttle?

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With my 60+ years of driving experience and some years as a mechanic I am wondering if there is some reason these clutches are burning up that I've never heard of. Slipping is the only way I'm aware of for clutch burnout. Can you tell when it is slipping? Can the torque of the motor over power the clutch and make it slip with just throttle?
Yes.
2-3k rpm range for me.
most noticeable in 4th gear at 50mph

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
When I drive it, and completely engage the clutch it almost sounds like the synchros are barely making it. I don't speed shift it, and clutch is flat at the floor. I roll the windows down and it just sounds like a truck transmission shifting. The shifter locks in tighter than I'm used to, but I almost cant get over what I think may be a small deficiency in the synchros before the gear engages. Maybe it is still breaking in at 2,800mi.

Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I drive it, and completely engage the clutch it almost sounds like the synchros are barely making it. I don't speed shift it, and clutch is flat at the floor. I roll the windows down and it just sounds like a truck transmission shifting. The shifter locks in tighter than I'm used to, but I almost cant get over what I think may be a small deficiency in the synchros before the gear engages. Maybe it is still breaking in at 2,800mi.
Huh! Never heard synchros, heard gear whine when synchros were at work matching input shaft speed so dogs would mesh. What do you mean "almost sounds like the synchros are barely making it". Making what? The synchros have nothing to do with clutch slipping and everything to do with matching input shaft speed to gear selected so the shift can be completed. When you say "shifter locks in tighter" do you mean there is no play in shifter position after gear selection? Isn't that a good thing? Bottom line is still clutch slip is reason clutch burns up. Why is clutch slipping? The clutch either cannot take the torque of the motor without slipping or the slipping is occuring when a foot is on the clutch pedal. One is caused by the way the jeep is driven, the other is a weak clutch and an alert driver would be able to detect a slipping clutch.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes.
2-3k rpm range for me.
most noticeable in 4th gear at 50mph
So you can cause the clutch to slip in forth gear with just throttle? Wow, that is a weak clutch.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
no warranty coverage. Out of pocket if I go that route.
im looking at aftermarket options but also not sure on lead times and supply at the moment. Need it fixed in the next couple weeks.
That is crazy. Sorry to hear. Personally, I’d go for South Bend and have a well reviewed mom and pop shop do the work.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So you can cause the clutch to slip in forth gear with just throttle? Wow, that is a weak clutch.
No, that is a broken clutch. What absolutely sucks is that some guys are getting them like this from the factory. I feel extremely lucky that o got a good one after reading threads like these.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Lifelong manual transmission driver, including three MT Jeeps. But if I were ordering today, I would order the 8AT with a heavy heart. It's simply bizarre that Jeep hasn't addressed the obvious defects in the design of the JT's manual transmission.

I hope you don't replace your clutch with factory parts. At least upgrade to a stronger aftermarket unit.
Sponsored