Clutch problems

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Centerforce site doesn't have much info on the JL clutch- or maybe I am missing something. Any links or leads to where to get one?
Sponsored

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Did they explain what the "user error" was? I figure you didn't take a 5000 mile trip resting your foot on the clutch at 80mph.

Another post here shows how complicated the clutch assembly on the JL wrangler is. Traditional clutches are super simple, this thing is an engineer's dream of complexity.
No, no one will answer that question, except someone honest who knows how clutches work. My mechanic said even if Jeep wants to insist driver error, ok, I’ll pay for the clutch but Jeep should pay for the damage caused by the explosion of the pressure plate. At a minimum, if they really cared about their customer.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I'm curious if you had any symptoms of clutch failure? I have 270K miles on a Civic clutch and I can feel a little slipping on it when it's cold in the morning. Before my S-10 clutch failed at 140K miles I could smell it burning a little (throw out bearing seized on input shaft). The reason I ask is that the "bite" on this clutch is indiscernible, I'm just learning where it is. I'd figure if I was burning the clutch out there would be that burning clutch smell.
I smelled burning but only briefly once on the day before this happened.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
In response to my note to @JeepCares, I received this garbage response for those wondering:

JeepCares said:
We certainly understand your frustration here and do apologize. However, at this time, our teams stands behind the resolution provided by both the dealer and your previous agent: clutches are considered wear and tear and are only covered for 12 months/12,00 miles. Again, we do apologize.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-it-under-warranty-safety-recall-y07.85533/

I came across this thread. I started another one, linked above.

Our 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual Transmission left us stranded in the desert as the clutch catches on fire! The new recall Y07 is a software update to prevent the clutch from over heating and catching fire for the Jeep Wrangler JL , Jeep Wrangler JLU and the Jeep Gladiator JT.

I had the previous recalls done, but didn't get this one. I've had the '18 JLU for almost 4 years and it has around 40k miles on it. Luckily, no major issues until now.

Jeep JL Clutch Recall Y07
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V028-6608.pdf

The dealership didn't want to help. I reach out to @JeepCares about this on the forums. They got me in contact with Jeep Customer Care, which is now Stellantis (FCA + Group PSA).
This was a long journey from October 2021 to January 2022. We are finally all back together.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
JeepCares said:
We certainly understand your frustration here and do apologize. However, at this time, our teams stands behind the resolution provided by both the dealer and your previous agent: clutches are considered wear and tear and are only covered for 12 months/12,00 miles. Again, we do apologize.
Maybe this is Jeep's attempt to kill the Manual Transmission option? I'd love to know the engineering decision to drift away from the standard clutch plate/pressure plate design that has worked well for a century. You can get a clutch kit for a Chevy S-10 V-6 for $75-$165 on the rock. I haven't seen a clutch kit for the JL under $1,000. What does this complexity buy you other than a clutch that you can't feel engage.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I talked with Centerforce today. A new version is coming out to improve the misalignment of the input shaft. The flywheel will incorporate a bossed/machined area, which will help center the input shaft. Apparently, many of crankshafts on the 3.6L will not incorporate an input bearing/bushing to accomplish this..........New version to be released mid Feb.2022.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-it-under-warranty-safety-recall-y07.85533/

I came across this thread. I started another one, linked above.

Our 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual Transmission left us stranded in the desert as the clutch catches on fire! The new recall Y07 is a software update to prevent the clutch from over heating and catching fire for the Jeep Wrangler JL , Jeep Wrangler JLU and the Jeep Gladiator JT.

I had the previous recalls done, but didn't get this one. I've had the '18 JLU for almost 4 years and it has around 40k miles on it. Luckily, no major issues until now.

Jeep JL Clutch Recall Y07
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V028-6608.pdf

The dealership didn't want to help. I reach out to @JeepCares about this on the forums. They got me in contact with Jeep Customer Care, which is now Stellantis (FCA + Group PSA).
This was a long journey from October 2021 to January 2022. We are finally all back together.
Thanks for linking to the video. Glad you got your money back on that!

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
In response to my note to @JeepCares, I received this garbage response for those wondering:

JeepCares said:
Jeep Cares comes thru again!!

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I talked with Centerforce today. A new version is coming out to improve the misalignment of the input shaft. The flywheel will incorporate a bossed/machined area, which will help center the input shaft. Apparently, many of crankshafts on the 3.6L will not incorporate an input bearing/bushing to accomplish this..........New version to be released mid Feb.2022.
I just spoke with Centerforce and they said new orders placed on the clutch won't ship until around end of March for anyone in a similar position as I am. I also just spoke with South Bend and they are looking at the same timeline. Are there any other options out there other than OEM? Argh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's my post from May of last year where I point out that the Jeep flywheel supports the input shaft and the Centerforce doesn't. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clutch-recall-new-clutch-pics.52128/#post-1139819

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Maybe this is Jeep's attempt to kill the Manual Transmission option? I'd love to know the engineering decision to drift away from the standard clutch plate/pressure plate design that has worked well for a century. You can get a clutch kit for a Chevy S-10 V-6 for $75-$165 on the rock. I haven't seen a clutch kit for the JL under $1,000. What does this complexity buy you other than a clutch that you can't feel engage.
So I decided to go ahead and have my mechanic fix my 2021 Jeep Sahara repaired rather than give another dime to Bayside Jeep. Talked to the shop today. Of course, they use after market parts when they can find them, but because mine is so new, having hard time finding a transmission to replace the one with the hole blown thru it. Not sure how we’ll handle the whole clutch/pressure plate issue. Hate to spend all this money to fix it, only to be back right where I started with the crappy design.

suggestions?

also, anyone know of anyone filing suit over this whole pressure plate issue? I don’t want to be the originator due to the cost of litigation.

skeptic

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sahara 6 Spd.(JL)
2020 Unlimited Sahara with the 6 Spd. worst gear and clutch I've ever driven. I've had a CJ, TJ, YJ and never had such a bad setup. 1st should be lower, the 1-2-3-4 spacing seems off and 5th and 6th are pretty much for show only, Also flywheel is way too light too. (more fleet mileage seeking BS i guess.) they should've sent it out the door with 4:10 or higher at least then 5th and 6th would be usable, any slight incline at highway speeds and you generally end up downshifting. 3:45 rear end ratio is useless. Clutch took 1500 Km to settle down and not be way too grabby. now at 16K km there is a strong burnt clutch smell and they can't find anything. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch because brakes wouldn't smell quite so bad inside. I've cooked a clutch before so I'm well aware of the smell. once you've enjoyed it you'll never forget. dealer is saying maybe due to the 60cm of snow we had but i keep telling them we had the traction control off and spinning in snow would cook tires not a clutch. totally different smell (blame foolish young behaviour for that knowledge). I was stunned to hear that even though I'm over 12 months they won't cover the clutch at only 16Km even with a known issue. Besides, I've had the recall done so the damn thing would go into limp mode if the clutch got hot and we'd notice.

This clutch doesn't belong on a go kart never mind a Jeep.

For reference, I've never done a clutch at less than 80Km and that was on vehicles driven much harder.

So now I'm off to pick it up from the stealership and you can bet I'm putting in a Centerforce or South Bend as soon as either becomes available..

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
2020 Unlimited Sahara with the 6 Spd. worst gear and clutch I've ever driven. I've had a CJ, TJ, YJ and never had such a bad setup. 1st should be lower, the 1-2-3-4 spacing seems off and 5th and 6th are pretty much for show only, Also flywheel is way too light too. (more fleet mileage seeking BS i guess.) they should've sent it out the door with 4:10 or higher at least then 5th and 6th would be usable, any slight incline at highway speeds and you generally end up downshifting. 3:45 rear end ratio is useless. Clutch took 1500 Km to settle down and not be way too grabby. now at 16K km there is a strong burnt clutch smell and they can't find anything. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch because brakes wouldn't smell quite so bad inside. I've cooked a clutch before so I'm well aware of the smell. once you've enjoyed it you'll never forget. dealer is saying maybe due to the 60cm of snow we had but i keep telling them we had the traction control off and spinning in snow would cook tires not a clutch. totally different smell (blame foolish young behaviour for that knowledge). I was stunned to hear that even though I'm over 12 months they won't cover the clutch at only 16Km even with a known issue. Besides, I've had the recall done so the damn thing would go into limp mode if the clutch got hot and we'd notice.

This clutch doesn't belong on a go kart never mind a Jeep.

For reference, I've never done a clutch at less than 80Km and that was on vehicles driven much harder.

So now I'm off to pick it up from the stealership and you can bet I'm putting in a Centerforce or South Bend as soon as either becomes available..
Thank you. You articulated exactly what I have experienced with my 2021. You may as well skip first gear, and I rarely remember to go into 5th or 6th because there’s no difference, even in the RPMs. And you are absolutely right about loss of power on an incline or even having had to slow a tad in traffic. No power. I just hope I don’t have a tractor trailer bearing down on me as I try to get things back to highway speed.

When my pressure plate blew (“stealership” likes to call it “burnt clutch due to driver error), I was 5 days past my 12/12 (only 11,800 miles). Still deciding how far to take the legal options, but would love to hear from someone who has a suit pending.

Five Seasons

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2009 BMW 135i, 2002 Honda S2000,
I have disliked my clutch since day one. I am not sure what other people were comparing it to when they say it is great. If you have to get used to it that means its not natural, if its not natural its a bad design.

Has anyone looked into re-gearing the manual transmission ?

Remove 6th gear, replace 6th with 5th and 5th with 4th. Find new lower 3rd gear ?
Sponsored