CB Radio

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Uniden CMX720. Mount the brain in dash behind glove box with mic out on grab bar. Control everything from mic. Works great on trail. I don't need to be able to talk to Egypt while I'm out in the Jeep! CB is still pretty prevalent in my circle for easy communication.

Do you by chance have any pics of your install? I'm about to install that same radio and looking for ideas.
Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Do you by chance have any pics of your install? I'm about to install that same radio and looking for ideas.
no pictures. ziptied brain up inside dash behind glovebox. wired direct from battery to brain thru high rubber plug just below fuse block. grounded to ground lug inside kick panel. i removed passenger fender liner to gain access and reinstalled when i was done. mic mounted with basic grab bar mount with cord coming thru top of glove box. when not in use i simply unplug mic with coiled cord while plug remaind just under grab bar. antennae cable from brain down and tucked under center console to underside of passenger seat then under carpet and up into a void space in my rear platform out into hinge side of tailgate thru grommet to antennae mounted on verticals for third brakelight. (my third brakelight has been deleted) Also ran a antennae ground back from antennae mount to a bolt holding my custom rear platform down.

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just mounted my antenna. Used the Teraflex Mount. Not a bad mount. My SWRs are a bit high so I probably need to ground the antenna/mount. Now to figure out how to do that.

22D66959-F944-4D05-9627-9A38287717EF.jpeg

06ADADEF-7565-4FB4-9716-6AAB5358653A.jpeg
Exact Teraflex mount I bought. Did you figure out how to get a lower SWR? Did you have to run a separate grounding wire from the mount to somewhere on the body frame?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Exact Teraflex mount I bought. Did you figure out how to get a lower SWR? Did you have to run a separate grounding wire from the mount to somewhere on the body frame?
I was able to get low SWRs on the 4 foot Firestik 2 antenna. I just scratched off the paint underneath the mount holes so it would ground the antenna and lower the SWRs.

I recently installed a 2 foot firestik so I could leave it on and park it in my garage. That antenna was difficult to keep low SWRs on all 40 channels. I determined that the antenna must be a little short to allow low SWRs on all 40 so I picked a section and got the SWRs low. It works on all 40 but is high on certain channels so I’ll just avoid those.

I’m betting a 3 ft would work well but it’s too late now. My thought was to use a 3 ft and put the mount on the lower bracket of the tailgate. That would allow me to park it in the garage and keep the SWRs low on all 40 Ch. but I can’t take the 2 ft one back so for now, it works.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
In the process of moving and am traveling cross country towing a trailer and using a CB to talk to the wife. For some reason, when I key up the CB, my left trailer brake light flashes/blinks. It only does it when I key up the radio.

Any ideas what would cause that?

Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I have the same mount and also have high SWR readings. Almost 2 on ch 1 and 3 on ch 40 and I cannot shorten the antenna adjustment any further. I have a NGP antenna so it should not need a ground but I am thinking that may be the issue as you stated.

Just mounted my antenna. Used the Teraflex Mount. Not a bad mount. My SWRs are a bit high so I probably need to ground the antenna/mount. Now to figure out how to do that.

22D66959-F944-4D05-9627-9A38287717EF.jpeg

06ADADEF-7565-4FB4-9716-6AAB5358653A.jpeg

AronGlover

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf 6
I know a good site where you will be able to find a good and cheap CB radio. I have bought from there a new rv refrigerator, it's good because there you will find a lot of good reviews of a lot of cool products and link to them on Amazon. I am sure that there you will find something cool. I also wanted to buy a CB radio about one month ago, and even looked for a good model there, but for my birthday I got it from my friend as a gift and didn't need to buy a new one. How do you usually find a good product to buy, by watching different videos on Youtube or reading reviews online, or consult your friends?

Last edited:

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I went to a cb shop and he said my radio did not work well with the NGP antenna and coax. I bought another antenna and he set up as a ground type and it’s working well now.

[

QUOTE="MadDog27, post: 1329999, member: 31123"]
In the process of moving and am traveling cross country towing a trailer and using a CB to talk to the wife. For some reason, when I key up the CB, my left trailer brake light flashes/blinks. It only does it when I key up the radio.

Any ideas what would cause that?
[/QUOTE]
Sponsored