Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Doll House and the area around there (Natural Bridges, Bears Ears, etc.) is one of the primary reasons I have the extra fuel cans. I was on a Doll House trip years ago and the Flint Trail slid and closed. We didn't know until trying to drive out. Took the road to Hite but they didn't have fuel at the time. Coasted into Hanksville on fumes, even with the 5-gal Scepter can.
Exactly.
Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
MORryde was showing these side-mounts at the SEMA Show two weeks ago. No drill installation and can accept either jerry cans or Rotopax (the one on the driver's side is holding a jerry can)

MORryde1.jpg

Sponsored

DeBo3359

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2009 H-3hummer
So what is the accepted method of increasing travel distances? I see cans attached all over, some obstruct rear camera, also have seen tank size increase, seems like a huge waste of money for the amount of fuel added, anyway...please share how you are adding to your fuel package???
I strapped a 14 gallon gas caddy to my roof rack. I pull a trailer so it’s nice to have extra gas. I wish I had had it when I got into California and gas was $5 a gallon and I had filled up the day before for $3.80. Also it’s nice to not have to leave a trip to go who knows how many miles there and back to fill up. You should empty you extra gas asap too keep your center of gravity as low as possible, especially off road. You can also fill up a generator the chainsaw can or the other toys you may drag around with you. You can also leave it back at the camp if you don’t need it on a specific trip.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Just got back yesterday from a 5-day trip to Big Bend National Park here in Texas. Used the Rock Slide Engineering EZ Rack and 4 x 1.75 gallon Rotopax as back-up. Worked beautifully. Ironically, despite ~7 hours of actual off-roading and a couple more hours of paved road within the park, didn't need them and still had a little under 3/4 tank left. They totally did the JL right with the extra mileage/gearing as far as I am concerned.

Ended up using two on one of our guys' 2008 Rubicon JK 2-door, whose 202 hp 3.8L V6 eatss gas like no tomorrow. He was doing okay, but was below half a tank before we started Black Gap Road and then the drive back to Terlingua, so wanted him in a good place. Peace of mind is the biggest thing for me.

And no, no issues at all with 4 tanks back there and the tailgate hinges. Only 7 gallons of extra fuel with the 4 1.75 gallon tanks and all worked beautifully.

IMG_4901 (Edit).jpg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Doll House and the area around there (Natural Bridges, Bears Ears, etc.) is one of the primary reasons I have the extra fuel cans.
I do a lot of trails but trips in this area can require careful planning. Most places I go, even doing several trails, I can be pretty casual about fuel usage and when I need to fill up.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I do a lot of trails but trips in this area can require careful planning. Most places I go, even doing several trails, I can be pretty casual about fuel usage and when I need to fill up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I'm nearly settled on the over the hardtop windows system, however.........in mid type I realize I'm screwed topless...lol, so to speak. Hmmmmm, back to over the spare like yours or rotopax...

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
That was a big deal for us. Probably April through October the soft top is on so I needed a top-independent solution. Winter trips are usually shorter if only for daylight & road access.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
And I haven't seen any aux tank options that are legal for those of us in California, FWIW
And it sucks! I’m sure they have a VALID reason! I’m also sure Reno & Vegas have off-road shops, food for thought

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Depends on your rig. When I’m towing my trailer, my 392 loves to sip that awfully expensive premium fuel. The minute an Aux tank is created for my Jeep, it will be added. I get between 11-12MPG towing with my Jeep, so yes extra fuel on hand is good to have. I have 2x three gallon rotopax on the back of my trailer. That’s gets me about one third of my tank in case of an emergency.

DF3E7317-A4E2-4D6A-822E-56AD451AF18B.jpeg

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Depends on your rig. When I’m towing my trailer, my 392 loves to sip that awfully expensive premium fuel. The minute an Aux tank is created for my Jeep, it will be added. I get between 11-12MPG towing with my Jeep, so yes extra fuel on hand is good to have. I have 2x three gallon rotopax on the back of my trailer. That’s gets me about one third of my tank in case of an emergency.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? DF3E7317-A4E2-4D6A-822E-56AD451AF18B
You probably haven’t been close to Vegas since you’re trip from Az. Likely have to make a visit when aux tank becomes available
Sponsored