Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I carry two Roto-Paxs. Why? Because traveling across HWY 50, I almost ran out of fuel. There was no gas stations showing up on U-Connect, or Google Maps. I by chance found this old Bar out in the middle of NOWHERE with an above ground fuel tank. Think like the kind of place you see in a horror movie kind of place with the people to match.

My Jeep took 20.4 gallons of gas and it should be noted that the 4dr Jeep tank holds 21 gallons. It was close to 70 miles to the next gas station.

There are roads out west like this where you get gas at each gas station you pass.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? 1637066896371

The bar. It had a dude with a hole in his throat that was still smoking on the porch. A blonde chick that looked to be late twenties at the grill cooking. She had no teeth and maybe weighed 90 pounds,,,,,, Meth.... maybe...lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? 1637066783868

I have also wheeled in places where the locals told me get gas here as it is the last station. We pull in and the radio lights up with "why are we stopping I have 3/4 of a tank." It was 90 miles out into the desert to the trail, the trail was about 40 miles long, so 80 miles round trip, then 90 miles back to the station......... If you don't fill up, you probably will not make it back to the station.

So my tire carrier has Roto-Pax mounting points, When I got home, I added them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? 1637067342630
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Numerous cross country trips have shown me you cannot always count on gas stations to be available, I always carry a small gas can. Then there's the field experience where our vics guzzled fuel and it would be a day or two before we saw a refueler, I carried 6 extra cans then. My section suffered enough misery without needing to worry about fuel, water, or food. I will absolutely have a rotopax or hopefully aux tank.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I think I'm pretty edge-case, but I'll put it here anyway. My JLUD gets 25+mpg and has around a 400 mile range. Living in southeast Louisiana, I don't do any offroading. But, I do tow a boat often. And, we occasionally get hurricanes which disrupt fuel options.

So, I took off my spare tire and added a 5-gal jerrycan. This allows me to carry an extra ~125 miles of diesel on board if needed. Or, I can easily give my boat enough fuel to get it to a fuel dock after draining it for storage.

This wasn't a "bolt-on" solution. I took those gate reinforcement hinges and a jerrycan holder, then welded the holder to the hinges. Actually, there are 2 bolts (where I had enough room behind the hinges for bolt heads) and welded the other 2 sides. Also the spare-tire delete, license relocation thingy.

Added benefit is that it is legal, because the license plate is unobstructed when viewed from the rear. But . . . you can't see the whole plate if you are a traffic control camera mounted on the side of the road.

20211116_080425[1].jpg

20211116_080413[1].jpg

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Depends on your rig. When I’m towing my trailer, my 392 loves to sip that awfully expensive premium fuel. The minute an Aux tank is created for my Jeep, it will be added.
The Long Range America auxiliary fuel tank won't work? I thought it worked on all JLU without eTorque.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
You probably haven’t been close to Vegas since you’re trip from Az. Likely have to make a visit when aux tank becomes available
Sounds like a plan!

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
The Long Range America auxiliary fuel tank won't work? I thought it worked on all JLU without eTorque.
I have a 392. They said spring of 2022 they should have one available.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
get a diesel? ;)
seriously; one of the reasons i got the EcoDiesel was the range; even with a lift and 35" Mud tires i'm seeing nearly 400 miles on a tank on the highway at reasonable speeds.
there have been plenty of trips around the West where the nearest fuel was 100+ miles away, or we had a 150+ mile loop off the pavement (assuming all the 'roads' weren't washed out)...

personally, i like the Pak Rax as i can carry extra fuel *&* water easily.

So what is the accepted method of increasing travel distances? I see cans attached all over, some obstruct rear camera, also have seen tank size increase, seems like a huge waste of money for the amount of fuel added, anyway...please share how you are adding to your fuel package???

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
get a diesel? ;)
One of the primary reasons we got the diesel. Built on 37s and with gear for a weekend we still average 23-24 mpg. 688 miles last weekend of towing the camper and several of Moab's finest trails and we still averaged 18.9 mpg!

There are still some areas that an extra 2 or 4 gallons give me peace of mind. Even conservatively off-road that should buy me an extra 25-30 miles per can.

I've only ever run motorcycles out of fuel. My wife has managed to run two of our vehicles out of fuel in the five years we've been together. Just not something she thinks about. But with our last 2 diesels I have drilled into her that this is much worse for a diesel than gas car and others keep reinforcing this. I know modern diesels can be primed with a few key cycles and it really isn't a much of an issue anymore, but I'm not going to tell her that.

We now have an agreement that I'm responsible for keeping all vehicles fueled and serviced as one of my chores, which I will happily take over laundry. So I guess it will be my fault if it happens again anyway.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I carry two Roto-Paxs. Why? Because traveling across HWY 50, I almost ran out of fuel. There was no gas stations showing up on U-Connect, or Google Maps. I by chance found this old Bar out in the middle of NOWHERE with an above ground fuel tank. Think like the kind of place you see in a horror movie kind of place with the people to match.

My Jeep took 20.4 gallons of gas and it should be noted that the 4dr Jeep tank holds 21 gallons. It was close to 70 miles to the next gas station.

There are roads out west like this where you get gas at each gas station you pass.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? 20211116_080413[1]

The bar. It had a dude with a hole in his throat that was still smoking on the porch. A blonde chick that looked to be late twenties at the grill cooking. She had no teeth and maybe weighed 90 pounds,,,,,, Meth.... maybe...lol.

I have also wheeled in places where the locals told me get gas here as it is the last station. We pull in and the radio lights up with "why are we stopping I have 3/4 of a tank." It was 90 miles out into the desert to the trail, the trail was about 40 miles long, so 80 miles round trip, then 90 miles back to the station......... If you don't fill up, you probably will not make it back to the station.

So my tire carrier has Roto-Pax mounting points, When I got home, I added them.

LOL< I've gotten gas at that very bar, funny how that spot picked itself....

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Excuse the thread drift, but that bar, as alluded by wizbornz, reminds of the film "From Dusk to Dawn," which had the most extreme and surprising plot shift in a movie I've ever seen! (I will not be a spoiler re. the plot, if you haven't seen it!)

And that kind of isolated gas stop you find not only in the desert but in places like the mountains of West Virginia. Gas BP ahead, exit here. THEN you see it's 4.7 miles away from the main highway on this narrow, unlit, two-lane highway...HOW REALLY DESPERATE are you? HOW LONG has that gauge been sitting on E, with the Low Fuel light on?

A spare can filled with 5 gallons of gasoline can provide much relief, not only from running out of gas, but avoiding spooky places... ;)

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Excuse the thread drift, but that bar, as alluded by wizbornz, reminds of the film "From Dusk to Dawn," which had the most extreme and surprising plot shift in a movie I've ever seen! (I will not be a spoiler re. the plot, if you haven't seen it!)

And that kind of isolated gas stop you find not only in the desert but in places like the mountains of West Virginia. Gas BP ahead, exit here. THEN you see it's 4.7 miles away from the main highway on this narrow, unlit, two-lane highway...HOW REALLY DESPERATE are you? HOW LONG has that gauge been sitting on E, with the Low Fuel light on?

A spare can filled with 5 gallons of gasoline can provide much relief, not only from running out of gas, but avoiding spooky places... ;)
10 4 brother, I'm a firm believer in planning, with full knowledge, first engagement ruins that, but we gotta jump off somewhere right, lol

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
10 4 brother, I'm a firm believer in planning, with full knowledge, first engagement ruins that, but we gotta jump off somewhere right, lol
P.S. and I'm ok with driving around spooky places, they get called that for a reason...

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
So, I took off my spare tire and added a 5-gal jerrycan...
Many years ago, during the first US gas crisis, one of the solutions was to close gas stations on Sundays. I was in a situation where I had to make 600 mile round trips some weekends, driving my old sports car with 15mpg and 16 gallon tank. It had full size spare under the rear. My dad has a tank fabricated shaped like a tuna can and we mounted it where the spare tire went. It held 24 gallons! Most of the time I just put the spare in my apartment, when I needed to travel I strapped it on my luggage rack. For what a person would need to spend on a bunch or rotopax and expensive mounts, you could probably have a tank fabricated that could fit somewhere under the Jeep. (I haven't looked to see if there are any good sized open spaces under there.)

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Many years ago, during the first US gas crisis, one of the solutions was to close gas stations on Sundays. I was in a situation where I had to make 600 mile round trips some weekends, driving my old sports car with 15mpg and 16 gallon tank. It had full size spare under the rear. My dad has a tank fabricated shaped like a tuna can and we mounted it where the spare tire went. It held 24 gallons! Most of the time I just put the spare in my apartment, when I needed to travel I strapped it on my luggage rack. For what a person would need to spend on a bunch or rotopax and expensive mounts, you could probably have a tank fabricated that could fit somewhere under the Jeep. (I haven't looked to see if there are any good sized open spaces under there.)
I have daydreams of the dealership installed (LOL), warranty approved aux tank but it's reviews don't really support the cost from what I've read, so back to one of the previous thoughts...The Rotopax system that goes over the hard top windows (braced vertically)...Was wondering if anyone has seen a horizontal version of that system that could work mounted off the roll bar if your hardtop's off...
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E