carrying extra gas?

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
This trip will be Hanksville to Panorama Point to DollHouse then back to Hanksville.
Usually we run from Green River through the desert to the ranger station, stay at one of the campgrounds, on the way out to the Dollhouse, then out to Hite to Hanksville or out the long way through the Dirty Devil river....we drove in from 124 I think it is once or twice.... usually used both 5 gallon cans I brought.....the TJR was on fumes as I got into Hanksville....used both cans and when I filled in Hanksville I think I got about 19.6 gallons in the 19 gallon tank haha.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

+1 for the Rockslide Engineering spare tire mount. Itā€™s absolutely solid, and provides two great mounting points to attach 2 to 4 cans. Might have to watch how wide you can swing your tailgate depending on how you load it up, but youā€™ll figure that out.

Iā€˜ve had mine for about a year and a half and have had zero issues. Plus, I actually just modified one of the mounting plates with a few extra bolt holes to attach an ARB Tred Pro plate, so it is still paying for itself!

And, as others have mentioned, it isnā€™t permanent. So you can remove it when youā€™re off the trail pretty easily.

Oh, and for what its worth, I would absolutely carry extra fuel. Even for that trip. Who knows how much idling youā€™ll do? Or if youā€™ll want to take a detour, or maybe a friendā€™s rig will run low, etc etc. GLHF!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The bottom plate is the same base for the jerry can mount in the first image, you just pay extra for the jerry can shelf.

You need to purchase Rotopax or Fuelpax mounts, or use your own, to use with the base plate. You could conceivably mount other jerry can holders, traction mats, farm jacks, or anything really, to the base plate.

I was originally going to use Rotopax, but got them with the jerry can mounts, since they don't sell the shelf separately if you want it later.

With one Rotopax on each side, it is a very sleek looking option. When you take them off, you have those spinny pax things sticking out. If you mind, you can loosen the top of the base plate to remove the pax mount.

With two 5-gallon containers, it looks like you're auditioning for the next Mad Max film.

I've ended up just leaving the shelves on both sides, full time, though they are extremely easy to remove at any moment. They make good tables!

Two shelves give you the potential to carry anywhere from two to ten gallons of water, fuel, combinations of each, or anything you don't mind strapping outside and have collect bugs.

They make the jeep a wee bit fatter though.

Deleted member 59498

Maybe a jerry can mount on the back? Think you can buy those brackets fairly cheep.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Usually we run from Green River through the desert to the ranger station, stay at one of the campgrounds, on the way out to the Dollhouse, then out to Hite
In May I stopped at the store at Hite and talked to them, they said they are "always open". However I also passed a sign on highway 95 west of Blanding that said the Ferry was open, but when I got there they said the ferry had been closed for weeks. I believe Hite is closer to Dollhouse than it is to Hanksville, but I won't trust that they are open. Plus I keep reading about the road to Hite being washed out frequently.

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
These guys want money for their system (https://www.trailrax.com); but, it keeps the fuel out of the interior and, if you put them on both sides of the Jeep, might help balance the load on technical sections of the trail.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Another vote for the rock slide engineering spare tire mount with rotopax cans. I love that I can just take it off when not in use.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
In May I stopped at the store at Hite and talked to them, they said they are "always open". However I also passed a sign on highway 95 west of Blanding that said the Ferry was open, but when I got there they said the ferry had been closed for weeks. I believe Hite is closer to Dollhouse than it is to Hanksville, but I won't trust that they are open. Plus I keep reading about the road to Hite being washed out frequently.
Yeah the ferry is closed from the low water levels, and yeah the store at Hite is sometimes closed especially in the off season. We had roads washed out on that trail out before but we were able to get though, if not we all would have probably been out of gas. So yes extra fuel is a very very good idea.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
Do you have a trailer hitch? If so an expensive hitch cargo carrier is useful in multiple ways. easy to bungie a gas can too and any thing else you may want extra of.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Do you have a trailer hitch? If so an expensive hitch cargo carrier is useful in multiple ways. easy to bungie a gas can too and any thing else you may want extra of.
Those cargo carriers will not make it out to the area he's going. Well it won't make it in any useable condition. Haha

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We went remote not long ago in two Jeeps bringing the family and looking back, I had plenty of fuel since we were topping off before we left town. I had two 2 gal (more like 1.8 each) Rotopax. Got in the mid to high teens mpg on trail. Burned about 1/3 tank before the next town.

My thinking was we had extra fuel just in case I didnā€™t account for something or we broke down overnight and needed heat. Iā€™d especially bring the fuel in winter. Next time Iā€™m just going to have a white Rotopax for water, only bringing one fuel Rotopax.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they did say that it was 1/3 "Barely technical"
Well you know how it is- to a Toyota it would be "very technical", to a Jeep it's "barely technical". Most of the receiver hitch accessories pretty much kill your departure angle.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Don't know if this style carrier is available for the newer Jeeps. Mounts directly to the bumper on a pivoting arm along with the spare tire:
Jeep Wrangler JL carrying extra gas? P1070945rr

Just checked the website...Hite supposedly has gas and diesel available 7 days a week. That would save quite a few miles versus going back to Hanksville.

At the Dollhouse parking area in 2014. (Not my Jeeps, I was on a dirt bike. But both were carrying extra cans of gas.)
Jeep Wrangler JL carrying extra gas? P1010415erjeepforum

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the Dollhouse parking area in 2014
I recognize the dolls!

And BTW this trip/trail is what got me thinking about buying a JLU instead of a lesser vehicle. I could put my gear in the back of a Ford Escape if I was just driving to a BLM campground, but to go places like this I needed a more serious vehicle.
Sponsored