Extra Gas Carrier

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I thought this looked like a good solution:

maxresdefault.jpg

But then I realized that you might have to pack a small tool kit to get the gas, and a bigger tool kit to get to the tire.
Sponsored

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier maxresdefault

But then I realized that you might have to pack a small tool kit to get the gas, and a bigger tool kit to get to the tire.
I thought the same thing. I just installed mine, and really like the way it sits but it was a pain in the ass to install on my stock tire carrier. I had to cut off the existing rear camera housing (AFTER removing the camera), and the mounting plate is a bit fiddly, but not too bad.

The 3rd brake light is on a quick release, and you unplug the camera connector to remove the assembly to remove the tire. It's really not that bad, and I just bought a cheap 1-1/8 wrench on Amazon to stick in my tire kit.

I'm only running 35's and I have the Tailgate Reinforcement kit on, so the two fuel cans aren't that much more than the max on the larger tires.

RichP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-dr Rubicon Recon, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
Where there's a will there's a DIY way! Couldn't find anything I really liked without changing the stock metal Rubicon bumper. Fortunately have a brother who's a genius with metal and paint. The basic mount is two pieces of 3/16" steel (one black, one color matched to the Jeep), weight comes in at about 16lbs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier Rotopax Pics 2

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
@RichP
Very interesting. With mount and two full 2 gallon cans you are pushing 55-60lbs. Any issues having the weight out that far on the tailgate?
How many inches from the top of the camera tube to the top of the metal mount?
Also, if your brother decides to make another, list it and price it. May be interested.

ETA: Can he make from aluminum?

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Jerry can came in tonight, looks great. One last teaser picture before I do a write up and road test.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier IMG_20200520_203813

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Jerry can came in tonight, looks great. One last teaser picture before I do a write up and road test.

it looks like it would not work with most rock sliders like LOD destroyer as you can’t access the pinch seam holes

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer

What rear bumper is that? Do you have a side image showing how it interfaces with fenders? I have been looking for a rear bumper but I want one that wraps and hides the pinch seam. Thanks!

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
@EDH_JL
I like that design and keeping the weight between the tires. My concern is how far they protrude from the side? I have tight wooded trails that hit fenders and that might be something to be concerned. Can you take a pic of the pass side to show how the antennae works with it?

Also, people cannot see your trail rated badge - how will they know it is trail rated?

RichP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-dr Rubicon Recon, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
@RichP
Very interesting. With mount and two full 2 gallon cans you are pushing 55-60lbs. Any issues having the weight out that far on the tailgate?
How many inches from the top of the camera tube to the top of the metal mount?
Also, if your brother decides to make another, list it and price it. May be interested.

ETA: Can he make from aluminum?
I considered the added weight question, as compared to folks adding larger wheels/tires and adapters I feel comfortable with this setup. As always the real test will be to take it out and bang it around a little, and of course after bolting it on I used the highly scientific method of grabbing the setup and lifting up and down to make the whole Jeep move! Seems pretty solid, time will tell. I did consider aluminum and might have to think about trying that, 2 sandwiched layers of 3/16" steel is probably overkill. From the top of the camera housing to the top of the bracket is 3-1/4". The RotoPax mounts are centered horizontally on the top two lug nuts mounting the spare.

Also, here's a pic of clearances/hardware behind the bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier Rotopax mount 09a

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier Rotopax mount 09a
Can you still use a stock door with a mirror?

Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
it looks like it would not work with most rock sliders like LOD destroyer as you can’t access the pinch seam holes
LOD Destroyers will be here within the next week or two. I read the LOD instructions and don't see any issues. Will report back once they are on.
@EDH_JL
I like that design and keeping the weight between the tires. My concern is how far they protrude from the side? I have tight wooded trails that hit fenders and that might be something to be concerned. Can you take a pic of the pass side to show how the antennae works with it?

Also, people cannot see your trail rated badge - how will they know it is trail rated?
The trail rated badge was a big concern, might need to glue two of them to the mounts to make up for it.

It does stick out past the fenders a bit, perhaps the rotopax mount would be a slimmer option.

Can you still use a stock door with a mirror?
Shouldn't be a problem but I'll put the doors back on for my testing and pics.

OP
OP

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
It seems that the only options for extra gas is the tire mounted bracket or on top.

I haven't said this before because I thought the answer was obvious, what about the bumper.
There are videos of being able to fill the bumper with 7 -8 gallons of water - why not fuel. The obvious answer to not filling the bumper with fuel is due to rear end collisions. But if we are placing ten gallons of fuel outside the spare are we not taking a similar risk - I know, it looks like it sits too high for rear impact.

When my Jeep finally arrives, I'm going to spend some time under it, maybe there is a place to mount an extra gas tank, then splice into the fuel line and have a dual switch in the cab - just like the Fords with dual tanks.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
When my Jeep finally arrives, I'm going to spend some time under it, maybe there is a place to mount an extra gas tank, then splice into the fuel line and have a dual switch in the cab - just like the Fords with dual tanks.
There was an active thread several days ago about a turn-key solution to add an extra tank under the body. As described it seemed to work like "factory". It was an Australian product and installer though.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
There was an active thread several days ago about a turn-key solution to add an extra tank under the body. As described it seemed to work like "factory". It was an Australian product and installer though.

Later,
Johnny
Thanks Johnny, does anyone out there in the 'Jeep World" have any information on this?