Camping inside my jeep

XPLOR3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR WHITE
We used our DeepSleep for 2 years and slept inside the Jeep, we couldn’t stand it anymore so we upgraded to a rooftop tent and couldn’t be happier.

If I were to keep sleeping in the Jeep, I’d make sure of the following:
- Find a way to reduce or eliminate condensation on the windows, it got really bad and we kept our windows cracked for a cross breeze
- Find a way to block out the sun in the mornings, unless you like waking up with the sun
- Find a way to insulate the Jeep. For us, when it was cold, it would feel colder then it was, and when it was hot, it would feel hotter then it was
- ensure you have mesh on all windows and tailgate opening to minimize bugs
- I wouldn’t recommend an air mattress because they don’t insulate great, and they deflat overnight so it felt like a water bed
I added wind deflectors on all windows to keep them open at night
, installed kilmat on the entire floor and carpet above it.
Installed boom mat on the ceiling.
have reflector cover cut to size for all windows
Should be ok 👍
It’s great advice you have here I had the same problems before
Sponsored

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I added wind deflectors on all windows to keep them open at night
, installed kilmat on the entire floor and carpet above it.
Installed boom mat on the ceiling.
have reflector cover cut to size for all windows
Should be ok 👍
It’s great advice you have here I had the same problems before
Good stuff! I hope you have a better experience sleeping in your Jeep then I did.

Since my Jeep is a daily driver, I couldn’t do all of those modifications, so we just splurged on a rooftop tent.

oddly enough the Jeep feels more planted on the road with it on.

rubiland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited 392
Just got my Jeep and also want to camp inside of it. I’m trying really hard not to purchase a RTT or Roof Rack this time. What are folks using to keep bugs out when windows are open to prevent condensation?

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Just got my Jeep and also want to camp inside of it. I’m trying really hard not to purchase a RTT or Roof Rack this time. What are folks using to keep bugs out when windows are open to prevent condensation?
I’ve heard good things about these. Pair with a little rechargeable fan for circulation and you’d be pretty comfortable.

ROADIE- The OVERNIGHTER SUV Window Tent with Bug Screen and Retractable Awning – Great for Camping in an SUV. (Patented) https://a.co/d/aCcJGLg

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We typically pull a camper. Our 2023 jeep travel will be with a tent that attaches to the jeep. We plan to sleep in the back of the jeep and set up a tent that attaches to the jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping inside my jeep Screenshot_20221206-222355_Amazon Shoppin

This will only be used for a few days at a time as we have a 5th wheel camper that will be our main base camp by Yuma Arizona.

Buddwiser

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
I started a sleeping platform today and depending on how it works out, it will probably be a temporary setup as I'm thinking of building a square back trailer when the weather turns warm. I've given roof top tents consideration but then that requires a rack system that will hold it which requires drilling into the roof and that isn't gonna happen plus it puts weight on the roof and most importantly, it has to be closed up when ever I would like to do a little exploring. Sleeping in the jeep or having a trailer for sleeping eliminates all that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping inside my jeep 20221211_144354

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Meh, if I want to go camping, I usually just take the Porsche instead...

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping inside my jeep Porsche-rooftop-tent-feature

:)

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I rigged my JLU Sport so I could sleep in the back, but I've only done that on one trip so far.

I wanted cheap and easy, mostly DIY. I wanted stealth. It would be for me by myself, about 6 days max. I wanted enough headroom to sit up in the back and read so that meant no elevated platform. I'm 6'-4" tall but if I lay a little bit diagonal it works. I fold down the back seat and put down a piece of plywood to create a smooth surface, put on a 4" foam mattress from Amazon, and a sleeping bag. I built my own cargo shelf to go across the back so while sleeping I put my boxes of gear, chairs, etc. on the shelf, when driving some of that stuff can set on the bed. I put as much stuff as I can on the front floorboard and front seat. I made some screens for the back door windows out of house window screen material. It is easy to take off of this stuff out when I get home.

post #43 in this thread shows my first impromptu cargo shelf:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-jl-rear-cargo-shelf.38768/page-3

this thread details the better design I built:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-rear-shelf-for-jlu-hardtop.90462/

Last edited:
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Here's a video I did on our Jeep camping setup. We love it and sleep as well or better there than at home. Most of the time, we leave the back window up (open). Alternatively, we crack the rear side windows instead if it is not as warm.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Most of the time, we leave the back window up (open)
Some people buy some window screen material and some small magnets to hold it in place over the window then lower the window however much you think you need. Magnets won't work on the JL so I draped the screen material over the top of the door gathered the material together along the front and rear edges of the door, and stapled together with an office stapler. I open the door, slide this sack over the top and close the door.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've been thinking about laser cutting a piece of acrylic with screened holes in it to fit over the glass when windows are lowered (and then raise the windows up to secure it in place.. like an extension of the glass). Just an idea and I'll post if I get around to trying it out with any success.
Sponsored