Sponsored

Anyone Overlanding/camping in their Jeep during Winter weather?

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
I'm curious if anyone has been out camping in their Jeep during the winter and if so, what steps are you taking to stay warm overnight in your Jeep? I discovered the joy of traveling in my JLU this past spring and sleeping in the back on an air mattress instead of paying for a hotel/motel room. I love having the ability to jump in my vehicle and go off somewhere and do it inexpensively but on my last trip in the beginning of October, it got a bit too cold overnight. I went the next morning and bought more blankets at Wal-Mart and that did well for me for the rest of the trip. Now, I've been staying put but I am exploring ways that I could go off for the a few days during the winter months and stay warm overnight. I miss just jumping in my Jeep and taking off somewhere!!!
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I camped a few nights in Moab when it hit the 20s. Slept in my Jeep. I had a memory foam pad down. A great thick cozy sleeping bag, and a heavy thick duvet. Just had some flannel pj bottoms, a tank top with a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt on. I was warm and cozy all night long. I had a Mr. Buddy as a backup in case I needed it but I was fine without it. (Note—they only last 4-6 hrs on one small tank. ). Meanwhile, my compadres, in their jeeps froze. They kept starting them all night long. They had gear but not appropriate enough.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Winter weather is a subjective thing, lol.

I haven't had much snow camping, but I've camped in the Mojave on nights when it got down into the low 20s and I woke up with ice on the ground (and on my tent).

I only had a 3 season tent until recently, so not really made for winter but with the rainfly on it held a tolerable amount of warmth. And I have a serious 0 degree down sleeping bag and a sleeping pad with a very high R rating. Cold weather gear is more expensive, but it's worth it.

Other tips... Sleep in a wool baselayer & socks. Heat up the sleeping bag with chem hand warmers about 30 minutes before bed. I keep anything that needs to stay above freezing in the sleeping bag with me (aka: my phone, a bottle of water to drink). And I put some clothes in the bag with me too (usually a long sleeve shirt and jeans), so I can quickly throw on another layer before getting out. Jacket and boots right beside my sleeping pad for easy access.

It's definitely doable. Not necessarily my favorite way to camp, but the bonus is that you'll likely avoid crowded hordes of people at popular spots if you go in winter.

Also, REI has a great free 'virtual' class on winter camping via Zoom. It has some great tips on how to camp in winter and snow conditions, I found it quite worthwhile to check out. You can find it on their website class schedule.

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having recently sold my comfy RV and faced with the thought of my tent options. Yesterday I measured the floor length of my JL. Even with the passenger seat out(as it is now) the less than my body length space is a no go for me. First time in 2-1/2 years of owning a JL it's let me down. So the JLU has that going for it.
Last year when I was placing my order I was debating between the JL & the JLU. I wanted the JL since to me it's the traditional Jeep. But I got swayed by friends and the knowledge that there's a better ride on the JLU because of the longer wheelbase. Now I'm thrilled with the JLU, never thought as a single person that I'd need the 4 doors but I'm loving the space and the ability to stay overnight somewhere sleeping in the back! In the spring I'm adding a roof rack and a rooftop tent!

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Good sleeping pad under an air mattress to keep it up off the floor, a good extreme cold rated sleeping bag, a couple heavy throw blankets, and a big buddy heater with a 20lb propane hook up on a cargo carrier. Almost forgot a couple body pillows.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
A good aired-up sleep mat and woobie inside a mummy bag will go a long way for comfort, what temp is your bag rated at? Wear a beanie and strip down to just a thermal layer.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We winter camp often. We are also in a small camper. I have insulated the camper, I use an electric blanket to warm the bed up before we head to bead. Then plenty of blankets to stay warm. We have found that just our body heat in the camper will keep us good down to about 15 degrees.

Our lithium battery shuts its self off at -10 degrees, but we have not winter camped with that yet as it is a recent addition to the camper. In theory we can easily power the electric blanket all night with the lithium battery. In the past we have used the clay pot and candle to keep the inside of the camper warm on the nights were it has dropped below zero degrees.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Overlanding/camping in their Jeep during Winter weather? 1639828308977

It was -2 degrees when we woke up this morning.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Pee before going to bed. Items that need to be warm first thing in the morning go in bag with you. Items you need to be warm first thing once you get up go next to bag or are your pillow. Items for a warm night's sleep:

1— wool hat;
2— good base layer clothing;
3— down mummy bag;
4— down comforter or wool blankets;
5— good mattress or pad;

I am not a fan of any warming device that burns in an enclosed space or used near flammable gear/clothing. Be smart. Good luck. Winter camping can be very rewarding—

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A good aired-up sleep mat and woobie inside a mummy bag will go a long way for comfort, what temp is your bag rated at? Wear a beanie and strip down to just a thermal layer.
I'm actually shopping around for a good bag now, I didn't need one during late spring through early fall but now having a good bag is a necessity

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pee before going to bed. Items that need to be warm first thing in the morning go in bag with you. Items you need to be warm first thing once you get up go next to bag or are your pillow. Items for a warm night's sleep:

1— wool hat;
2— good base layer clothing;
3— down mummy bag;
4— down comforter or wool blankets;
5— good mattress or pad;

I am not a fan of any warming device that burns in an enclosed space or used near flammable gear/clothing. Be smart. Good luck. Winter camping can be very rewarding—
I remember tent camping in the winter when I was in Boy Scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout) and our troop leader telling us to totally strip down and put on fresh underwear. He said that the underwear we wore during the day had perspiration on it and will only make us colder at night. It's a trick that really works!

Sponsored

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
We've slept in the back of all of our wranglers for winter trips. I'm 6'4 and the wife is 5'2 so it can be a challenge. The JLU was so much better than the JKs because of the way the seats fold (headrests go into the footwells rather than bending backwards). The 4xe is as bad as our JKs were if not worse with the way the back seat folds. Our approach is similar to what's mentioned above - we put down a 3" foam mattress left over from a RTT, then a layer of blankets or sleeping pads, a pair of 0 degree bags from teton, then another couple blankets on top. Remote start works to warm the jeep up in the morning before you crawl out of the bags just be extra careful if it's snowed out, you don't want exhaust building up under the jeep and entering the cabin. Condensation can be a challenge but we never sleep in there for more than a few nights in a row. If you were to do it longer term I'd definitely consider some sort of weather-proof ventilation. I'd say skip the Mr Buddy heater- fire hazard, burning propane introduces even more moisture into the jeep and carbon monoxide is a major issue.

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

20160503_161246.jpg

IMG_8198.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
We've slept in the back of all of our wranglers for winter trips. I'm 6'4 and the wife is 5'2 so it can be a challenge. The JLU was so much better than the JKs because of the way the seats fold (headrests go into the footwells rather than bending backwards). The 4xe is as bad as our JKs were if not worse with the way the back seat folds. Our approach is similar to what's mentioned above - we put down a 3" foam mattress left over from a RTT, then a layer of blankets or sleeping pads, a pair of 0 degree bags from teton, then another couple blankets on top. Remote start works to warm the jeep up in the morning before you crawl out of the bags just be extra careful if it's snowed out, you don't want exhaust building up under the jeep and entering the cabin. Condensation can be a challenge but we never sleep in there for more than a few nights in a row. If you were to do it longer term I'd definitely consider some sort of weather-proof ventilation. I'd say skip the Mr Buddy heater- fire hazard, burning propane introduces even more moisture into the jeep and carbon monoxide is a major issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Overlanding/camping in their Jeep during Winter weather? IMG_8156.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Overlanding/camping in their Jeep during Winter weather? IMG_8156.JPG

A whole bunch of awesomeness in this post.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I have insulated the camper,...
Not wanting to unrail thread: have you posted about your trailer and ho it for your adventure north? EDIT: Shoot! I thought I DM's that to you (Ted). Not wanting to derail... please forgive me–
I remember tent camping in the winter when I was in Boy Scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout) and our troop leader telling us to totally strip down and put on fresh underwear. He said that the underwear we wore during the day had perspiration on it and will only make us colder at night. It's a trick that really works!
Right. And if you have a cotton sheet or cocoon in your bag naked is actually warmest. Though I have found when things go bump in the night it takes too long to get dressed–

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Not wanting to unrail thread: have you posted about your trailer and ho it for your adventure north?
I will be doing a walk around of it soon. I am leaving on a 11+ month 20,000 mile Jeep camping, wheeling, and hiking trip in 14 days. Plan to do some videos for Youtube when time permits and will most likely do a JLWranglerforum thread about the trip.

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
I will be doing a walk around of it soon. I am leaving on a 11+ month 20,000 mile Jeep camping, wheeling, and hiking trip in 14 days. Plan to do some videos for Youtube when time permits and will most likely do a JLWranglerforum thread about the trip.
Sounds awesome. You bringing the trailer?

Here are a few more fun pics from winter camping.

12829038_10103347478263612_3618663027834531234_o.jpg

75534852_10106647014875792_5599079324532604928_n.jpg

72177678_10106647014736072_3718265501541990400_n.jpg

IMG_1439.PNG

IMG_7951.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2526 (1).JPG

75407664_10106647014830882_5610218721646739456_o.jpg

IMG-1137.JPG
Sponsored