Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Loads of threads about this, but nothing exactly what I'm planning, so figured I'd start a new thread.

'21 JLU, not planning to remove the rear seat, and in fact need to be able to travel with the kids, so I'm looking to do something for just the cargo area.

I have lots of camping gear, but it's all old. Plus, I used to have a pickup, so it's all in huge plastic bins (tossing them in the bed eliminates the need to be organized, lol).

So I want to build two boxes for the rear, and then get new more compact equipment to store in them.

Taking measurements, it looks like I have 37" across, 30" deep, and I want to stay at/around/under 9" tall. Eventually, I'd like to do a version of @CheaperJeeperTV's sleeping platform to go on top of them.

Still in the design phase, so if you've done similar, I'd love any "discoveries" you made a long the way.

Current questions:

- Do I make the two boxes full width side-by-side, or leave space (especially if I'm going to do the sleeping platform)?

- Materials. Feeling like 1/2-inch plywood should be sturdy enough without going overboard. Weight isn't a HUGE concern, but I'd like to be able to carry them around with just one person, if necessary.

- The rear seat sits at an angle back. Debating between angling one end of the box (to maximize space) or just lose that space and do a normal rectangle box.

- Finish. Thinking I may sand/stain/seal them so they look nice, but also I'm lazy so paint may be easier.

Equipment
(Enough for a fam of 4)
- Camp Chef Everest 2. I have an old green metal Coleman stove, but it's super old, finicky, and the Camp Chef is 1-2 inches thinner.
- Stanley Base Camp cookset. Everything I need except cups.
- Collapsible sink/basin
- Stanley Adventure cookset
- and some utensil (not silverware, but bigger things) kits, etc.

With this, I THINK I could get all the gear in one box, which would free up the other to be a pantry.
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
this is the first revision of my box, i've since found it didn't work for me and the only thing i kept was the base and the box under the fridge. i would recommend lifting the base a little like i did so you can access the storage cubby and slide a table under the whole thing without losing much space. the fridge rent right to the rear seat and on the drivers side i had my house battery behind the upper box. sketchup helped me layout and plan the whole thing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Building custom rear storage boxes + camping gear 2020-11-29 15.21.15

2021-03-08 19.42.00.jpg

2021-03-20 17.41.51.jpg

2021-04-03 17.30.53.jpg

2021-03-20 17.48.48.jpg

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
this is where i'm at now, with the rear seats gone i prefer using containers and having more flexibility of having a platform and dedicated doggie space for Kodiak. i really wanted to like camping out of a dedicated "box system", but there was just never room to pack what i wanted. the house battery is now a GZ 1500x thats now under the platform in the passenger drivers side footwell.

2022-07-30 18.45.56.jpg

2022-08-04 06.12.20.jpg

2022-12-28 14.06.46.jpg

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Super helpful, thanks for the photos! Is that a permanent solution? My goal isn't permanent - it's for the ~4-5 times/year that we go camping, I'm basically trying to consolidate all of my stuff from two big, bulky, tall plastic bins down into these two flatter boxes, so that I'm really only losing 9" of height in the rear cargo area. More boxes, not drawers.

I like your idea of a slot for a table or something, as well - good call.

GED

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I am in a similar boat.

- Do I make the two boxes full width side-by-side, or leave space (especially if I'm going to do the sleeping platform)?

I was going to to leave some space: I have a foldable ladder that needs to get in there. I also have the subwoofer on the passenger side that I would like to leave some space to.

- Materials. Feeling like 1/2-inch plywood should be sturdy enough without going overboard. Weight isn't a HUGE concern, but I'd like to be able to carry them around with just one person, if necessary.

I have already started constructing out of 1/2 inch plywood. I have replaced the large flat carpeted bottom with a sheet of 1/2" plywood (29" x 36.5") tied down using the six factory bolts. I use it to screw in some tie-down for my battery & my fridge. Also, it now lets me access my scissor jack without having to unload the entire trunk (like the original flap forced me to do).

- The rear seat sits at an angle back. Debating between angling one end of the box (to maximize space) or just lose that space and do a normal rectangle box.

I plan to angle my boxes to get the maximum storage depth.

Equipment
(Enough for a fam of 4)
- Camp Chef Everest 2. I have an old green metal Coleman stove, but it's super old, finicky, and the Camp Chef is 1-2 inches thinner.
- Stanley Base Camp cookset. Everything I need except cups.
- Collapsible sink/basin
- Stanley Adventure cookset
- and some utensil (not silverware, but bigger things) kits, etc.

In addition to my stove, I have a 35qt fridge and a battery/power station.
I have not yet figured out which propane tank to carry (5lbs or 20lbs) and how to carry it....

So far, I'd like to do a setup like the MORryde offroad kitchen....

Sponsored

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@GED thanks for the reply - glad to know I'm not the only one trying to figure this out!

- I also have the sub, but not sure it's worth leaving space. How much space are you thinking? Like an inch?

- I'd love to see some pics of your new back panel cover. I *hate* the big carpeted behemoth that's back there. As you mentioned, it's a royal pain to get anything out of there without unloading the whole damn Jeep.

GED

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Don't know yet on space for sub.

I just got my Jeep and was leaving for an off-road camping trip five days after.
I just had time to install the rack, the RTT, hardwire the Air Compressor and a few more accessories.

Here it is looking at it from the rear passenger door with the rear seats folded:
Jeep Wrangler JL Building custom rear storage boxes + camping gear IMG_6972

With all the trip crap still present:
Jeep Wrangler JL Building custom rear storage boxes + camping gear IMG_6973

Removed the 13 gal box so that you can see 3 of the six factory bolts:
Jeep Wrangler JL Building custom rear storage boxes + camping gear IMG_6974

I just have footman loops screwed into that floor so that my fridge and power station are strapped. I did not have time to make a nice cut for a door to be able to access the under floor storage. I just emptied it as it is quite small on my jeep.
I am now able to access the scissor jack without emptying the trunk. This is verified as somebody on our trip busted a tire of the wheel, and we used the scissor jack and air compressor to reseat it on the bead.

Jeffy56

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
It's tough to pack for a family. I did it in a couple of Rangers over the years. You may need a receiver hitch tote or a small trailer before you're done.

backs1de

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon - 3.6l Auto - Stingrey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Biomed Engineer
Clubs

Here is my setup, build from 3/4” plywood, first time building with wood and it turned out pretty good 👍🏽
Jeep Wrangler JL Building custom rear storage boxes + camping gear A2B0DE54-57F2-402D-BA85-22C91383C42E

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Here is my setup, build from 3/4” plywood, first time building with wood and it turned out pretty good 👍🏽
Jeep Wrangler JL Building custom rear storage boxes + camping gear A2B0DE54-57F2-402D-BA85-22C91383C42E
Great job!

So is the whole enclosure removable? I hadn't thought about approaching it like that - a short, two-drawer "chest" that I just pick up and place into the Jeep (vs two separate boxes). I also like the idea of the cutting board - do you have trouble reaching it in there, or do you typically pull it out to use?

Sponsored

backs1de

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon - 3.6l Auto - Stingrey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Biomed Engineer
Clubs

Great job!

So is the whole enclosure removable? I hadn't thought about approaching it like that - a short, two-drawer "chest" that I just pick up and place into the Jeep (vs two separate boxes). I also like the idea of the cutting board - do you have trouble reaching it in there, or do you typically pull it out to use?

it is removeable, it’s held in place with some ratchet straps to the rear set brackets, not at all the cutting board slides back and forth on some rails.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Quick update - further research revealed this awesome video from @outbuildinginfo that I think I've decided is going to be my blueprint.

I don't have near the tools/skills that he does, but I think I can build a simplified version that suits my needs and my current tools/skills.

The elements that I like/want:
  • Set up as a temporary install (can be removed without damage)
  • Can be used in conjunction with a sleeping platform, or just used stand-alone
  • Provides access to the storage bin in the cargo area

GED

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Yeah, he really have a lot of skills & tools (that I do not have too 😁). Thank you for finding that video. very educational.

Nice concept. I used to love sleeping inside the car, but the constant unloading/reloading of all the gear to have space to sleep was too much. I went with a small & light roof top tent. All that to say that for me, one flat drawer will not do. I need to handle the fridge, so it’s more a two vertical drawers that I need.

Good luck with your build.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yeah, he really have a lot of skills & tools (that I do not have too 😁). Thank you for finding that video. very educational.

Nice concept. I used to love sleeping inside the car, but the constant unloading/reloading of all the gear to have space to sleep was too much. I went with a small & light roof top tent. All that to say that for me, one flat drawer will not do. I need to handle the fridge, so it’s more a two vertical drawers that I need.

Good luck with your build.
Yeah, that's why I like the flexibility of this setup. 90% of the time, I'll be tent camping at a state park or similar, but it's nice to have the option to do a full sleeping platform.
Sponsored