brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not seeing a gasket? Only unpainted section under the hinge.
Has anyone unbolted a '21 or later to confirm there is a gasket?
Sponsored

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
When mine was done, they painted the doors and tailgate with no blend. It was a horror show. I complained, and they blended for me. The result looks good to my untrained eye.
I took mine in to have all 4 doors repainted. The body shop manager assured me with 35 years experience he would have zero paint match issues. When I picked it up my doors looked gray next to the billet silver body panels, very noticeable. He pretended he couldn't tell, even suggested the tailgate that was factory painted didn't match the body panels. I disagreed but he said to give it 30 days to cure and it would match better. After 2 weeks looking at it made me nauseous, and I went back. The manager advised me that I would have to bring it in at the end of the month to have it blended and he admitted they had searched online for the decals I had placed on the front fenders, but couldn't find them, and basically decided it was good enough. Which basically told me he knew how bad it looked. Hate when they can't do a repair job right and then offer bs excuses. He told me they had some paint left over and would blend the areas around the doors, but wouldn't be repainting the doors. I have zero faith in this dealership since they obviously weren't honest with me the first time and am considering going somewhere else to have it painted correctly, but I'm guessing I will be out of luck with the warranty if I go somewhere else and the hinge rust comes back. Mine started on one upper hinge and within a few months there was bubbling paint around all 8 door hinges.

thumbnail_IMG_9507.jpg

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I took mine in to have all 4 doors repainted. The body shop manager assured me with 35 years experience he would have zero paint match issues. When I picked it up my doors looked gray next to the billet silver body panels, very noticeable. He pretended he couldn't tell, even suggested the tailgate that was factory painted didn't match the body panels. I disagreed but he said to give it 30 days to cure and it would match better. After 2 weeks looking at it made me nauseous, and I went back. The manager advised me that I would have to bring it in at the end of the month to have it blended and he admitted they had searched online for the decals I had placed on the front fenders, but couldn't find them, and basically decided it was good enough. Which basically told me he knew how bad it looked. Hate when they can't do a repair job right and then offer bs excuses. He told me they had some paint left over and would blend the areas around the doors, but wouldn't be repainting the doors. I have zero faith in this dealership since they obviously weren't honest with me the first time and am considering going somewhere else to have it painted correctly, but I'm guessing I will be out of luck with the warranty if I go somewhere else and the hinge rust comes back. Mine started on one upper hinge and within a few months there was bubbling paint around all 8 door hinges.
If you’re not happy with the paint match and the dealer/shop refuses to correct it. I would go hit up the corporate Jeep (not the lame cares team here) and complain with them. I wouldn’t let it slide, more so if the company who agreed to the service, delivers something unsatisfactory and could care less. Some Google reviews go a long way also, post pics there.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Has anyone unbolted a '21 or later to confirm there is a gasket?
I didn't unbolt the hinge but my 2021 two door Willys Sport doesn't appear to have anything between the hinge and door. It was delivered in October.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
How’s it hangin Jeepers?

I never post but thought I should chime in with my experience about this to hopefully help some of you having issues. I recently bought a 2018 JL (my 5th Wrangler) and it has all the typical bubbling paint issues. My last Wrangler was a 2018 Mojito JL that did not have any bubbling issues. Neither have the gaskets.

Over the last few days I’ve read hours of peoples varying experiences, opinions, and assumptions about this issue so I did all my homework, spoke with my business attorney, and had everything ready for a fight at the dealership.

All for nothing. As soon as I was greeted by the body shop manager and mentioned ‘bubbling paint’ he interrupted me and said, “Yep, it’s a known defect and we’re seeing this a lot, in numerous Chrysler models. You’re still under the corrosion warranty as all JL’s are so we’ll take care of it”. That’s it, no questions asked, I didn’t even get a chance to rattle off my list of arguments. He scanned the vin, took some pics and submitted the claim. Said it takes about 3 weeks for approval confirmation from Jeep, and then I’ll be scheduled. He also mentioned it takes about a week to do the complete job as they disassemble everything, take it down to bare metal, prime/paint BOTH sides and then reassemble. Interestingly he said in his experience the 21-22’s are worse than previous years and thus they are now painting both sides and NOT using gaskets. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Take that for what it’s worth. Hope it helps relieve some anxiety about this and gives you some pull in your dealer should they be not wanting to honor the warranty.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
How’s it hangin Jeepers?

I never post but thought I should chime in with my experience about this to hopefully help some of you having issues. I recently bought a 2018 JL (my 5th Wrangler) and it has all the typical bubbling paint issues. My last Wrangler was a 2018 Mojito JL that did not have any bubbling issues. Neither have the gaskets.

Over the last few days I’ve read hours of peoples varying experiences, opinions, and assumptions about this issue so I did all my homework, spoke with my business attorney, and had everything ready for a fight at the dealership.

All for nothing. As soon as I was greeted by the body shop manager and mentioned ‘bubbling paint’ he interrupted me and said, “Yep, it’s a known defect and we’re seeing this a lot, in numerous Chrysler models. You’re still under the corrosion warranty as all JL’s are so we’ll take care of it”. That’s it, no questions asked, I didn’t even get a chance to rattle off my list of arguments. He scanned the vin, took some pics and submitted the claim. Said it takes about 3 weeks for approval confirmation from Jeep, and then I’ll be scheduled. He also mentioned it takes about a week to do the complete job as they disassemble everything, take it down to bare metal, prime/paint BOTH sides and then reassemble. Interestingly he said in his experience the 21-22’s are worse than previous years and thus they are now painting both sides and NOT using gaskets. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Take that for what it’s worth. Hope it helps relieve some anxiety about this and gives you some pull in your dealer should they be not wanting to honor the warranty.
We should all be treated this way.
Not to nitpick but how does he know the '22 is worse? They have only been out for 6 months. Might be a little early for the '21s to start showing up in large numbers too.

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
He just said he’s seeing a lot of them coming in already as compared to the earlier years. Could just be a cluster of ones that were painted on the same bad day, who knows, but I didn’t ask for clarification. He did mention there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which Jeeps are affected. I thought maybe variables like location, weather, garaged, etc would matter and he isn’t convinced that’s the case.

Either way, I agree. It should be that simple for everyone and I hope this helps someone navigate the process with more confidence knowing there are places treating customers with respect still.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges thumbnail_IMG_9507
Personally I'd tell him to match the doors and not get into the factory paint any where. A good body man can blend the doors to match . Just my 2 cents

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Has it been determined if any particular paint colors are less susceptible to bubbling than others?

Maybe add a poll to this thread with year, color, and if bubbling is present. Might be able to come to some conclusions.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
Mmmmm. Unprimed steel hinges fastened to an unprimed aluminum door. What could go wrong?

Without reading all 137 pages, is Stellantis still assembling 2022 doors this way?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1851E822-161D-4523-9C71-6FFEEB906EBB

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
In a nutshell...

Galvanic Corrosion Prevention of Steel-Aluminum Couples 932357
Efforts towards weight reduction are leading towards increasing use of aluminum components on automobiles. Although aluminum on its own has inherently superior corrosion resistance to steel, galvanic action between the aluminum and steel or galvanized parts can lead to severe corrosion. Straightforward and effective methods of preventing galvanic corrosion from the subject of this paper. Since many aluminum components are connected to steel structures by mechanical fasteners, protective coatings on fasteners were evaluated as well. Galvanic test couples were prepared in a manner simulating typical automotive assembly conditions while incorporating features which would lead to enhanced corrosion. A variety of chemical treatments and coatings on the fasteners as well as barriers between the dissimilar metals were evaluated for corrosion prevention between the aluminum and cold rolled or galvanized steel. Comparison between neutral salt spray and cyclic corrosion tests is provided. Results show that a combination of sacrificial coatings on fasteners and barriers between the dissimilar metals can effectively prevent galvanic corrosion. The effect of assembly geometry on results is also demonstrated.

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
Hello, just discovered this. All my hinges on my 2020 Red JL seem rust free. can i just put gaskets on or will this be an issue later? can i do this myself or will it be a major thing that needs to be done by a body shop? My car is garaged less than half the time and i live in Maryland. Car has about 25K miles.
Sponsored