Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

loganbsummers

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 4 Dr, 2018 on order
I have a 2018 Wrangler with corrosion issues at all 8 door hinges and also a random spot at a lower portion of a door. Note that the corrosion is happening on both the hinges and the door panels. Called my dealership and my Wrangler is currently in the dealership paint shop getting these issues fixed -- covered by warranty because there is 5 year/100,000 on outer panel corrosion. The dealership provided me with a no-cost loaner and to this point I am satisfied. My main concern is whether their fix will cure the issue "for life" which my CSR assures me will be the case, although when I asked what will happen if this corrosion occurs again after warranty coverage is outdated, he replied, "this will likely NOT be covered." Ongoing saga -- I will check back in when my Jeep is returned to me.
Follow up: I got my Jeep back. All 4 hinges were replaced with new and the work is well done. I'm very satisfied with the dealership and the work they completed. I did notice some corrosion on a tailgate and hood hinge that I didn't see before. Very small -- like if it never got bigger I'd probably leave it as-is. I called the guy who oversaw my repairs and asked about it. He said to send him pics and he will document it so if it does get worse it shouldn't be a problem to have it repaired.
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I was also told 5 years on corrosion last week for the doors but not on the hinges... I do not understand why not the hinges !
Also remember, the corrosion warranty only covers holes, not surface rust.

It has to be a complete hole through the panel.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Has Jeep now learned how to paint aluminium? If you order a new one do you get the same paint quality as in 2019?
Jeep knows how to paint aluminum - the rest of the door is fine.

The issue is the hinge is applied to the door and the door to the vehicle prior to painting, so the hinge to door area goes completely unprotected by paint or any kind of coating.

You can see the doors being attached here and then the paint process thereafter.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
not a door hinge, but this is underneath my hood, right by the spring. Does this look like corrosion , or just an imperfection in the paint job? I’ve noticed spots like these on the insides of my doors right when I picked it up, thought it was most likely just a dirty spray nozzle or something in the paint finish (not corrosion). Anyone else have spots like this and know for sure what it is?
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 72DAE1F0-0436-498C-A510-5BF716324AD1

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
not a door hinge, but this is underneath my hood, right by the spring. Does this look like corrosion , or just an imperfection in the paint job? I’ve noticed spots like these on the insides of my doors right when I picked it up, thought it was most likely just a dirty spray nozzle or something in the paint finish (not corrosion). Anyone else have spots like this and know for sure what it is?
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 72DAE1F0-0436-498C-A510-5BF716324AD1
To me that looks like the seam filler that they use.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
To me that looks like the seam filler that they use.
Thanks! That’s pretty much what it looks like on the doors as well. I’m on high alert with keeping an eye out for corrosion on my Jeep haha

Sponsored

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
In 19 it was the one hinge by late 2020 that’s how much it spread

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Just gonna start out by saying that I do agree that this is a huge problem. Not denying this or anything but My sisters boyfriend has a early build date 2018 JLU and has no corrosion what so ever. Any reason why some don’t seem to be affected by this ?

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Just gonna start out by saying that I do agree that this is a huge problem. Not denying this or anything but My sisters boyfriend has a early build date 2018 JLU and has no corrosion what so ever. Any reason why some don’t seem to be affected by this ?
That is a good question
Sponsored