Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Someone needs to make isolating pads for all the hinges. Hood, doors, and tailgate.
Agreed! Someone posted the MUDR decals for the JK, but I couldn't find their website. Waiting to hear back from an email to see if they can do anything for the JL, but I'm surprised no one has yet!
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Sounds very similar to the job they did to my jeep. even though they documented and took pictures of all the work needed to be done, they only did half. The worst part is having to go through the lengthy process of them taking months to get it done. :facepalm:
It sucks. I get that body shops are back ed up
Agreed! Someone posted the MUDR decals for the JK, but I couldn't find their website. Waiting to hear back from an email to see if they can do anything for the JL, but I'm surprised no one has yet!
These really wont help as they are not dissimilar metals. Both the hinge and the door are aluminium where as the JK doors were steel and the hinges were aluminium. The issue is the surfaces are not prepped and painted properly. This is why the hoods are getting it on the trailing edges as well. Next time you are at the dealer look at a black Wrangler. You can see how thin the paint is, or where the paint is full on missing from around the hinges and on the edges of certain panels.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Little update on my progress - I ended up going with quadratecs replacement oem style door hinges. They look oem, but are zinc die cast. They're also reasonably priced at $180 for a set of 8 (although theyā€™re made in Taiwan). I also bought two mopar hood hinges through quadratec (interesting that they come painted on the backs).

I sanded them all and washed them off with some dawn dish soap and water. Currently just finished priming them with some rustoleum automotive spray primer, 3 coats. So far so good. Iā€™ll be using rustoleums automotive satin black finish, and then topped with their automotive clear coat.

I also purchased all new hardware through quadratec and primed and painted the heads as well.

pictures attached.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 25C8306F-5A47-479D-AF99-E969A9F1FF87

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 4AC4381A-96B8-4EF4-B66F-36BD0B44AA30

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges FE4E7A32-C87B-4F08-98BE-40119183D37B

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 87F6BCEE-2790-4F47-9ABD-261F4F2110F1

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
This is how my Jeep looked on the day I picked it up.
Nice paint job FCA, must be trying to save a few pennies by using less paint.

tailgate hinge.JPG

tailgate paint.JPG

door edge.JPG

windshiled hindge.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
This is how my Jeep looked on the day I picked it up.
Nice paint job FCA, must be trying to save a few pennies by using less paint.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_0268.JPG

Yikes, if it makes you feel better (not that it should...), my ā€˜19 ram is the same way in areas. Theyā€™re cutting too many corners to save time, and unless you want a potential hack job by a dealer and breaking the factory paint job, painting the hinges is one of those ā€œif you want it done right, do it yourselfā€ instances in my opinion.

Not sure how id handle the light coverage on the body panels in your case.

Sponsored

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yikes, if it makes you feel better (not that it should...), my ā€˜19 ram is the same way in areas. Theyā€™re cutting too many corners to save time, and unless you want a potential hack job by a dealer and breaking the factory paint job, painting the hinges is one of those ā€œif you want it done right, do it yourselfā€ instances in my opinion.

Not sure how id handle the light coverage on the body panels in your case.
I looked at a bunch of others on the lot at the time and they were all about the same. I just figured might as well accept it and hope for the best.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
WOW, the MSRP on a 1969 CJ5 was $2,900. You would think with costs on the new wranglers starting at $27k they could have a better primer and have figured out the electrolysis problems !

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges A81EFD43-8F38-4D02-A432-92DAD40F8D1F

This is July 2020
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 8647D983-4E28-4253-A878-569705D3B6A1
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges BA273895-DFB9-49C9-AF7E-D20E69CE1A41
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges D2025B2C-4D7F-485B-AA09-5DF3A8034DFC

January 2021 all eight hinges are know bubbling absolutely love this color but with this issue and now the grenade for a clutch I think itā€™s time that the Jeep is done which is said because I wanted one since I was 7 and got into my uncle green cj7 thanks fca now that you are the 4th largest auto marker in the world start acting like it

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges D2025B2C-4D7F-485B-AA09-5DF3A8034DFC

This is July 2020

January 2021 all eight hinges are know bubbling absolutely love this color but with this issue and now the grenade for a clutch I think itā€™s time that the Jeep is done which is said because I wanted one since I was 7 and got into my uncle green cj7 thanks fca now that you are the 4th largest auto marker in the world start acting like it
How long have you had your Jeep?

Sponsored

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Order July 17 received august 10 2018
I wash it atleats once a week in the winter wash out frame rails in the spring try to prevent as much rust as I can do since Iā€™m in the northeast but itā€™s kinda ridiculous it seems that the bubbling start 1 to 2 year bench mark from what I seen on this post

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Donā€™t feel bad my keep is a third fun vehicle and is garaged and has never seen the snow or barely the rain. Still have issues.

MJHuber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My apologies if this has already been asked, but do we know if this paint issue is affecting any '21 JL models or do we think they have it corrected?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
My apologies if this has already been asked, but do we know if this paint issue is affecting any '21 JL models or do we think they have it corrected?
I think the consensus is that this has not been corrected. Wranglers have been produced like this for literally decades. Itā€™s probably a little too soon for a 2021 to bubble... looks like it happens between 1 and 2 years of ownership.

Iā€™ll let you know if my 2021 has bare metal underneath the hinges once itā€™s delivered

Greenegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Good morning, I brought my 2018 JLUR in about a month and a half ago, I have it on all 4 doors and several spots on the hood, not only on the hinges. Still waiting to hear from Jeep, my dealer says itā€™s covered. I have to tell you this makes me sick because I know this is gonna be a ongoing issue and as much as I love my Jeep Iā€™m not sure if I want to deal (this is my 5th Jeep over the past 30+ years so I donā€™t want to hear itā€™s a Jeep thingšŸ˜”) believe me I know there are much bigger issues in the world but this still makes me pissed. Have a good day all and stay safe
Sponsored