First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
A quick search revealed the updated service bulletin attached.

Attachments

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
A quick search revealed the updated service bulletin attached.
as far as I know there is a newer one, TSB 31-002-20

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
as far as I know there is a newer one, TSB 31-002-20
Either way. The fact there’s 2 or 3 TSB’s on the same issue...and they do absolutely nothing to try to rectify it, is pretty sh*tty

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Either way. The fact there’s 2 or 3 TSB’s on the same issue...and they do absolutely nothing to try to rectify it, is pretty sh*tty
I went to another dealer that was more interested in helping compared to the previous one that still has not responded to any of my emails or calls to get an update.
We'll see how it goes. 3 spots are rapidly getting worse, one is already a quarter/half in longer than it was 2 weeks ago. It's unbelieveable.

Sponsored

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Also from the TSB repair procedure:

"9. Apply PPGT DPLF primer epoxy primer or equivalent to bare aluminum only."

Maybe they should have used epoxy primer when painting at the plant. The couple extra bucks per vehicle would have been much more cost effective than warranty claims and a potential class action lawsuit.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I pulled into a parking lot today next to another JL and saw this...

F8672570-E3CE-47DF-A4B7-D75AB49C4B82.jpeg

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I went to another dealer that was more interested in helping compared to the previous one that still has not responded to any of my emails or calls to get an update.
We'll see how it goes. 3 spots are rapidly getting worse, one is already a quarter/half in longer than it was 2 weeks ago. It's unbelieveable.
Yea my dealer (where I purchased My Jeep) the service guy hasn’t even returned my Initial call....hence I emailed the sales manager. He responded immediately and told me he would document the photos for me and was going to speak to the service guy. So yea it sucks that certain dealers make this an issue, this is where Jeepcares can help you in situations like this to at least kick them in the a$$.

But it shouldn’t be that way.

Good luck. Hope everything works out!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Also from the TSB repair procedure:

"9. Apply PPGT DPLF primer epoxy primer or equivalent to bare aluminum only."

Maybe they should have used epoxy primer when painting at the plant. The couple extra bucks per vehicle would have been much more cost effective than warranty claims and a potential class action lawsuit.
Agreed!

It’s extremely frustrating. Customer shouldn’t have to be left with an issue they are well aware of. Parts are easily replaced....paint....always been something I try and avoid with vehicles.

Accidents happen.. this is just laziness and absolute piss poor production and lack of customer care!

I’d like this to be my first Jeep, NOT my last one.

But we’ll see if they start stepping up with crap like this

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
Well, Friday the 13th strikes again... I've already scheduled an appointment with my dealer for the broken sun visor and a look at my tires, which are making suspicious sounds since the latest rotation. I just had my second year of Krown rust coating performed and when I got it home to wipe it down I noticed this: :mad: If I didn't have so much fun off-roading a couple weeks ago, this Jeep would be on it's way to a new home.

IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

Sponsored

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
I just got an update on mine. Jeep Cares called the dealer about my issue and they said there rep made a mistake and they are covering the repairs. On Nov 9th I dropped my jeep off and they gave me a Jeep Renegade to drive in the mean time. Nov 13th they called and said the pitting is really deep and actually starting on the leading edge of door at the seam. So currently 3 of the 4 doors are being replaced.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you’re having even the slightest of doubts about the paint issue or how “repairs” will turn out, just dump the thing while you can. Once this starts making bigger waves...dealers (Jeep & the others) will start catching on as to why a mint JL Wrangler is being traded in.

If they’re doing the appraisal correctly, you’ll get hit hard on the paint issues....and that’s just one of the many obvious things! If you’re lucky, they’ll miss it entirely, as was my case. Going in with a filthy rig can only go so far....but between my 8 corroding hinges, pitted windshield, rusted underbody, leaking rear wiper sprayer, delaminating touch screen, and others....I was able to distract the woman enough in conversation to where she missed all the critical problems. With the 33,000 miles and otherwise no body panel “dents” (she missed one of mine), I got $41,000 for the thing. And that seemed fair given they listed it for $44,500. But in any event...

I have a buddy with the same 2018 JLUR model and color, he’s also experiencing paint problems and alike. His wife’s Durango R/T? Paint issues. My prior 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk? Surprise, paint. PAINT PAINT PAINT! Let’s see how long until the Rams start popping off with problems.

And for those wondering, I did drop by a dealer weeks ago to discuss my problems. In my case the guy stated the doors/hinges would be repainted while the delaminating touch screen was to be replaced. Setback on a loaner was 3+ weeks. He was almost blindly going to that solution most of you seek, getting repairs and new parts. However be cautious, I’d be more concerned as to whether or not the problem will continue. Thus you go back. It’s a perpetual cycle.

Needless to say, I’m out on anything under the Fiat/Chrysler family for the unforeseeable future. What an absolute atrocity to have brand new vehicles degrading at such a rapid rate due to poor quality production, materials, and or treatment processes. I sold my 2018 JLUR for a 2020 F-150 Lariat and never looked in that literal or figurative “rear view mirror”....

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B85D2585-B6E4-4CD6-BD19-F782A54D1BF2

Last edited:

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Mine was approved Friday after a few months of waiting. I am still waiting for Jeep Cares to respond to the invoices to have it protected and re-coated. Others have been reimbursed.

Mike S.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Here is one of my corroding hinges - this popped up so quickly. I took it to the local dealer Friday. The service rep took pictures and kept calling it "rust." He also claimed that he "hadn't seen anything like this on a vehicle with 9,500 miles." He shrugged when I informed him of the TSB. The rep indicated that he can't do anything and needs to "send the pictures to corporate." So far I have not received a response, but it has only been two days. Another rep (one that had been a huge help on a previous quality issue) took me aside and indicated that they have already seen several of these, and that it will only get worse.

If you are curious, here is a link that shows where all of our problems begin:

Note the doors are painted after they are on the hinges. It appears that changing this painting process is too expensive to do in order to keep loyal Jeep customers happy with a quality, corrosion-free product. Does anyone know how much loss-of-value you get when repainted body parts show up on a Carfax? And that assumes that the repainting work is flawless; on this thread it sounds like that is hit-or-miss.

Until this mess it would be hard to find a bigger advocate for the Jeep brand than me. Yesterday I talked a good friend out of purchasing a new JT Rubicon due to this issue. It is so frustrating.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20201109_094139

Last edited:

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
I just got a message from my dealer and they have received approval to replace all affected panels on my Jeep (4 doors and the hood). They estimated a full week to complete the repair.
Sponsored