Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If we're being completely honest, the vast majority of all Jeeps and Broncos sold will be mall crawlers. However, I'm a little surprised at a lot of the comments in that thread re: scratches, mud, off roading, etc., because I figured the die hard enthusiasts (aka the folks who demonstrate significant early interest) would be the off roading types. That mistake is on me lol.
Again, vast majority is really not relevant.

if 25%-35% do some kind of off-roading, which we think is probably the numbers for wranglers, then that is plenty large enough to drive the market. The question is whether the Bronco will have those types of numbers.

It is more than capable to.

which, by the way, so are 4Runners, Land Cruisers, Colorado ZR2, Raptors, Tacomas, etc.

It is important to Jeep that the Wrangler be the best. It is good for all of us for a meaningful % of owners of many different vehicles to enjoy off-roading.

i have been on Federal, state, and commercial trails this summer that were basically empty on a weekend. That’s not good for any of us. I will be happy to see some Broncos on the trails next year.
Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Again, vast majority is really not relevant.

if 25%-35% do some kind of off-roading, which we think is probably the numbers for wranglers, then that is plenty large enough to drive the market. The question is whether the Bronco will have those types of numbers.

It is more than capable to.

which, by the way, so are 4Runners, Land Cruisers, Colorado ZR2, Raptors, Tacomas, etc.

It is important to Jeep that the Wrangler be the best. It is good for all of us for a meaningful % of owners of many different vehicles to enjoy off-roading.

i have been on Federal, state, and commercial trails this summer that were basically empty on a weekend. That’s not good for any of us. I will be happy to see some Broncos on the trails next year.
I think it's plenty relevant when viewing design choices.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think it's plenty relevant when viewing design choices.
If 75% don’t off-road, Thats the vast majority. But 25% going off-road is enough to drive design choices.

that’s more than the number of manual transmissions and the number of 2 doors.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If 75% don’t off-road, Thats the vast majority. But 25% going off-road is enough to drive design choices.

that’s more than the number of manual transmissions and the number of 2 doors.
I don't quite understand what you're saying with this (and don't quite understand your disagreement with my original point).

I think it's fairly clear that the Bronco is setup to be a refinement, not an uncompromised solution, with the refinements skewing towards the majority of the buyers that either don't take their Jeeps off road or have a majority usage skewing road/highway.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't quite understand what you're saying with this (and don't quite understand your disagreement with my original point).

I think it's fairly clear that the Bronco is setup to be a refinement, not an uncompromised solution, with the refinements skewing towards the majority of the buyers that either don't take their Jeeps off road or have a majority usage skewing road/highway.
What I'm saying is that there is a common refrain of "Most owners don't go off-road". And I am just saying that "Most" is not where the bar is. It is MUCH lower than that.

Only 10% drive manuals. Only 20% buy 2-doors. They still design for those parts of the market.

The Bronco is plenty capable to be an off-road vehicle (just like many others) and it is certainly being marketed that way.

I am pretty hopeful that enough Bronco buyers will take their vehicles off-road to matter. Doesn't matter if the vast majority don't.

Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I'm saying is that there is a common refrain of "Most owners don't go off-road". And I am just saying that "Most" is not where the bar is. It is MUCH lower than that.

Only 10% drive manuals. Only 20% buy 2-doors. They still design for those parts of the market.

The Bronco is plenty capable to be an off-road vehicle (just like many others) and it is certainly being marketed that way.

I am pretty hopeful that enough Bronco buyers will take their vehicles off-road to matter. Doesn't matter if the vast majority don't.
I'm not arguing it's not capable, I'm arguing that both it and the Jeep are predominantly mall crawlers. The point being, it's hypocritical to frame that as insult to one thing (the Bronco) when the reality is very applicable to the thing being ardently defended (the Jeep).

And yes, I'm well aware of the manual numbers. They can take my stick shift from my cold dead hands.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I think that people are just getting confused as to what mission Ford is going for with the Bronco. Is the Bronco going to be as good in the rocks as a wrangler? Probably not. Is it going to be close enough that it will be a non-issue for 99% of people who purchase one? I would say yes. If you can take the Bronco to Moab, the rubicon, and local trails that is all 99% of people need. And if the Bronco is, say, 90% as capable as a rubicon in the rocks, but has zero problems hauling ass over washboard roads and speed bumps then Ford has a HUGE advantage. My JK absolutely sucks on washboard roads, and while the JL is better at the end of the day the SFA is a huge liability at speed.

Bronco is looking to be a jack of all trades, maybe not a master of one but it’ll be pretty damn good at everything based on what we’ve seen. Whereas a stock wrangler is pretty much a one trick pony of being absurdly good at rock crawling while sacrificing ride comfort and high-speed off road prowess.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
In my opinion, the new Bronco will be very capable off road, especially for the majority of buyers. The majority of buyers that do off road their vehicles, are not interested in rock crawling, and simply want a vehicle to hit some trails, hills, mud holes and explore nature.

If rock crawling is at the forefront of their reasons for purchasing, then a solid front axle vehicle will most likely win out here.

I think the new Bronco is actually pretty cool, and some of the items they appear to address have been gripes by the Jeep community for a long time.

I love my JLUR and have not even begun to test its capabilities yet. And although I am not that interested in rock crawling, I have the vehicle that can handle it if the need should arise.

Like many have said, competition is a good thing. I am looking forward to the future to see if it brings out the best in both companies fighting for the same space. I think Jeep has been put on notice, let's see what they got next!

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
No, the Jeep comes to the inside edge of that bump at the base of the climb....especially the front end (like he was almost coming up at a slight angle...notice the path the front passenger tire is on vs. the rear one). The 4 door Bronco is on the outside edge of that bump....and is also at less of an angle. The f/r tires follow a lot more closely along almost the same path.

And no offense, but this doesn't seem to be in your wheelhouse...any 2 door 4wd with a 100" or thereabouts WB should be able to make that climb with a little momentum (as the Bronco used)....it's basically just a steep, paved driveway.....***EDIT***that the Jeep couldn't make it up, lol. ;):LOL:
no, no offense. I admit, not my wheelhouse at all, thats why I’m here asking questions. I‘m just looking at the vid and report what I see.

In the end, don’t really matter, they both made it up in the end and obviously both are looking good imo. And I’m sure either one will far outperform anything I’ll put them through

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If we're being completely honest, the vast majority of all Jeeps and Broncos sold will be mall crawlers. However, I'm a little surprised at a lot of the comments in that thread re: scratches, mud, off roading, etc., because I figured the die hard enthusiasts (aka the folks who demonstrate significant early interest) would be the off roading types. That mistake is on me lol.
hey man, lol, I’ve always been anal about scratches and stuff. But when/if I off-road my future Wrangler or Bronco I’m gonna have to some how put that aside! Haha!!

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that people are just getting confused as to what mission Ford is going for with the Bronco. Is the Bronco going to be as good in the rocks as a wrangler? Probably not. Is it going to be close enough that it will be a non-issue for 99% of people who purchase one? I would say yes. If you can take the Bronco to Moab, the rubicon, and local trails that is all 99% of people need. And if the Bronco is, say, 90% as capable as a rubicon in the rocks, but has zero problems hauling ass over washboard roads and speed bumps then Ford has a HUGE advantage. My JK absolutely sucks on washboard roads, and while the JL is better at the end of the day the SFA is a huge liability at speed.

Bronco is looking to be a jack of all trades, maybe not a master of one but it’ll be pretty damn good at everything based on what we’ve seen. Whereas a stock wrangler is pretty much a one trick pony of being absurdly good at rock crawling while sacrificing ride comfort and high-speed off road prowess.
Very well said and 100% on the Bronco mission statement.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm not arguing it's not capable, I'm arguing that both it and the Jeep are predominantly mall crawlers. The point being, it's hypocritical to frame that as insult to one thing (the Bronco) when the reality is very applicable to the thing being ardently defended (the Jeep).

And yes, I'm well aware of the manual numbers. They can take my stick shift from my cold dead hands.
I think we are both saying the same thing. Wranglers have a small but meaningful percentage that go off-road and I suspect the Bronco will have the same. Not insulting the Bronco at all.

We also agree on the stick shift.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is that one on Hell's Revenge? It looks like one of the sections that not out in the sea of slickrock that begins the trail....more on the way to Hell's Gate?
I think so. It also looks alot like a side trail and obstacle on Fins N Things. Ford can do this all they want, but anyone in the know is aware that about 20,000 Wranglers have climbed that obstacle and every other obstacle in Moab. Lol!
Sponsored