Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The Bronco will take significant sales away from the Wrangler. I’ve said this before: a great many buyers (maybe “most”) don’t really care about off-roading and a great many Jeeps (probably “most”) NEVER go off-road. People who buy Jeeps and never take them off-road buy the Jeep because they Like the way it looks and like that it’s a convertible/doors off/etc. They wouldn’t know a solid front axle if it hit them in the head. And, frankly, they don’t care about that. they really don’t care that the Jeep might be a bit better off-road — why would they if they NEVER INTEND TO TAKE IT OFF-ROAD?

I believe that the Bronco will sell very well and it will cause FCA to step up their game. And that’s good.
Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Testing on flat fire roads again.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 5A5C1BEA-9D32-46C3-9085-580F2C57CC44

That area is not far from my house and is easy for a even a stock JK/U with AT tires and a limited slip to conquer. So it’s not impressive.

Ground clearance with a JL/UR is an easy factor to overcome because a simple and cheap 1.5-2” “puck” lift with stock 33”-35” or 37” tires will match or surpass that of the Bronco. Adding lift to the IFS is far more expensive and complicated so those wishing to run 37” tires best have a deep pocket.

Crawl ratio is kinda laughable. It’s only available in the manual transmission. That’s a small market these days. Less then 10% of Jeeps are sold with manual transmissions. Also with proper driving technique an automatic transmission like that in the 3.6 JK/UR or JL/UR is just or even more capable then super low crawl rations that 99% of the average buyer will have no idea how and when to use. Heck most folks don’t even know when and how to use a locker in an automatic Jeep let alone how drive a manual in low range over rough terrain. Now if that super low crawl ration was available in an automatic that would be something special.
Nothing special any 2wd suv could match.
The Bronco can do at least 90% of what I do with my Jeep. However, that 10% is too much fun to give up, so my Jeep is a keeper.

Having said that, I reserved a Bronco Outerbanks (equivalent to the JL Sahara?) for the wife. She loves it and won't do any off-roading. Well, maybe she will take it to the OBX. What a coincidence LOL
when you can do this same axle width let me know

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 5A5C1BEA-9D32-46C3-9085-580F2C57CC44
Is this oem showroom floor axle articulation? OEM Rubicon suspension travel is so good no one puts long arm kits on them....

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My Girlfriends uncle and her moms boyfriend just put in buy/build orders for the Bronco and me and my cousin have 18/19 Rubi's, can't wait to get these bronco's with us on the trails and off road parks!! We will post pics video's of these rides getting put to the test, no question, side by side with jeeps!! :like:

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
My Girlfriends uncle and her moms boyfriend just put in buy/build orders for the Bronco and me and my cousin have 18/19 Rubi's, can't wait to get these bronco's with us on the trails and off road parks!! We will post pics video's of these rides getting put to the test, no question, side by side with jeeps!! :like:
I’m sure there will be many testing side by side.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Testing on flat fire roads again.

Nothing special any 2wd suv could match.

Is this oem showroom floor axle articulation? OEM Rubicon suspension travel is so good no one puts long arm kits on them....
For those of us that actually off road in difficult terrain the last Bronco photo is still not impressive. A stock JKU with limited slip, comparable tires and driven with skill could easily climb that obstacle let alone a JKUR with lockers. But without seeing the video of the test Bronco actually climbing the steps maybe it was just posed there. Seen a lot of folks pose trucks before including Jeep. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Ford doing it too.

Keep posting the photos maybe one will be impressive enough to actually compare against a stock JLUR or even a JKUR. Maybe some photos of the Bronco in Moab on a 6+ rated trail or heck even coping Jeep with some photos from the Rubicon trail. Toyota wasn’t shy about it with the last FJ they did both.

I mean heck you are on a JEEP forum you got to expect we will be rooting for the JL.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
For those of us that actually off road in difficult terrain the last Bronco photo is still not impressive. A stock JKU with limited slip, comparable tires and driven with skill could easily climb that obstacle let alone a JKUR with lockers. But without seeing the video of the test Bronco actually climbing the steps maybe it was just posed there. Seen a lot of folks pose trucks before including Jeep. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Ford doing it too.

Keep posting the photos maybe one will be impressive enough to actually compare against a stock JLUR or even a JKUR. Maybe some photos of the Bronco in Moab on a 6+ rated trail or heck even coping Jeep with some photos from the Rubicon trail. Toyota wasn’t shy about it with the last FJ they did both.

I mean heck you are on a JEEP forum you got to expect we will be rooting for the JL.
Never said that. Ok, I think that’s what they did, crane lift to that position. Great commercial by the way.

6+ like Hells Revenge or still too tame?

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
That’s beautiful. Why are there no passengers? No one has truly lived until they’ve been at that angle.

Also, can the driver see over the hood? :giggle: Gotta line up the front tires to the flatbed that’s waiting on the other side.
Doesn’t have crash rating yet. Still trying to figure out if it flips on impact...
That’s easy with the 360 cameras.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Never said that. Ok, I think that’s what they did, crane lift to that position. Great commercial by the way.

6+ like Hells Revenge or still too tame?
What it looks like is they drove part way up for a photo and then most likely backed down. It also looks like they did it a few times based on the tire tracks to the right in the photo that stop at the same height and are the same tread pattern. Aka reposition for a better dramatic shot.

Yep Hells Revenge would be encouraging to see a stock Bronco on. There are several videos and dozens of photos of stock JKU/Rs and JLU/R on HR. Heck I would start to take notice if it was on Poison Spider, Golden Spike or even John Bull in Big Bear Ca. aka mini Rubicon in the off road world. By the way the latter is not far form Johnson Valley Ca. were Ford shot a number of the “desert rock” photos.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
You are completely forgetting that the market drives the concept. If it was only about maximum return on investment we would be stuck with 4 cyl econo boxes that are dirt cheap to build. The Wrangler exists because there is a market for a vehicle like it. Ford is betting that the market will also support a vehicle that is very nearly like it. There will be some people who go to the Bronco, but there will be people who will continue to buy the Wrangler as well. To say that because the Bronco exists the next Wrangler will have IFS is ludicrous.
On the contrary, financial valuations rely on market forecasts. Similarly, we would never be stuck with 4-cyl econo boxes because the market wouldn't support continued production.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Doesn’t have crash rating yet. Still trying to figure out if it flips on impact...That’s easy with the 360 cameras.
I talk alot of shit about Ford but I secretly want them to do so well with the Bronco. I can’t wait to venture out in the land we live on that was made for adventure and exploration. Jeep or Bronco - come one, come all.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Hell's isn't 6+, even if you do Escalator and Devil's Highway & Mickey's........
That’s why I asked. I was not sure if you were say 6 and above...
'

This is OEM axle articulation....

Iysg0Sa.jpg

Not as impressive as the image you quoted...but seems to work just fine.
That is not oem. That is modified/lifted suspension. 4 inch lift to fit 37’s?
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread DDA66AF4-A01F-4BD0-A90D-4EB0D0A0E1EC

Look at the front wheel drop from jk...
Jeep reveal pics look a lot like Broncos. Flat land small rock and a creek. Damn I though the JL could do more. Roll Eyes
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 5E9D54BA-94ED-4723-9E53-B129291E0730
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 09B5A04B-61D4-4996-8B47-CC85B4C9D4B9
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 09B5A04B-61D4-4996-8B47-CC85B4C9D4B9
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread EB04BBDA-E570-4AF4-BEC8-A7C15EF7B823
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 57087730-0D64-4ED2-BD0B-104C1DC2CBB6
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread A7EC6A07-4A34-4171-9C47-C3BAB602FCBF
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread B5565519-0D54-4258-A38B-53B3635FF9A7
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread A9015EE9-FF54-4A08-8C7C-E545A97AF286

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
That’s why I asked. I was not sure if you were say 6 and above...

That is not oem. That is modified/lifted suspension. 4 inch lift to fit 37’s?
DDA66AF4-A01F-4BD0-A90D-4EB0D0A0E1EC.jpeg

Look at the front wheel drop from jk...
Jeep reveal pics look a lot like Broncos. Flat land small rock and a creek. Damn I though the JL could do more. Roll Eyes
5E9D54BA-94ED-4723-9E53-B129291E0730.jpeg
09B5A04B-61D4-4996-8B47-CC85B4C9D4B9.jpeg
09B5A04B-61D4-4996-8B47-CC85B4C9D4B9.jpeg
EB04BBDA-E570-4AF4-BEC8-A7C15EF7B823.jpeg
57087730-0D64-4ED2-BD0B-104C1DC2CBB6.jpeg
A7EC6A07-4A34-4171-9C47-C3BAB602FCBF.jpeg
B5565519-0D54-4258-A38B-53B3635FF9A7.jpeg
A9015EE9-FF54-4A08-8C7C-E545A97AF286.jpeg
Because that is the image most people are buying not rock crawling with their wheels in all sorts of weird positions that make the vehicle look like it’s broken.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Because that is the image most people are buying not rock crawling with their wheels in all sorts of weird positions that make the vehicle look like it’s broken.
Oh I got it. Bronco can’t and JL can regardless....
Sponsored