Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The Bronco community is having a tantrum right now. Ford pulled the rug out from under them. The manual transmission was only ever available with the 4 cyl. And now they have also restricted the Sasquatch package to the Automatic trans as well. So much for that granny gear with the super low axle ratio.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The Bronco community is having a tantrum right now. Ford pulled the rug out from under them. The manual transmission was only ever available with the 4 cyl. And now they have also restricted the Sasquatch package to the Automatic trans as well. So much for that granny gear with the super low axle ratio.
Link?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hilarious but GM actually has produced THE best IFS platform for offroad (ZR2).. Toyota is the one who lives on their (reliability) laurels. And nail boards to their heads lol.

The japanese are good at adding RANCHO or BILSTEIN shocks and calling it an 'off road package'
Toyota makes a very serious off roading vehicle, designed for really really tough and uncharted terrain. Their land cruiser 70 series is a real beast and popular in south america, africa and australia. They just wont sell it here cause it handles even worst than the wrangler on pavement, and I would guess their V8 is not eco friendly.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I was really excited by the launch, but two items immediately turned me off:

1) The manual transmission is only going to be offered with the anemic base engine. I guess Ford needed to make sure not too many manual transmissions are sold so they can say "Hey, we tried, but no one bought them."

2) The Sasquatch package is automatic transmission-only. Once again, see (1).

So if you want a capable vehicle with decent power and stick, your only choice is the JL.

I am hopeful the mere presence of the Bronco will cause Jeep to step up their QC game a bit, it depends on how fragile the Broncos turn out to be.

Sponsored

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
I was going to get a Rubi diesel. But the Bronc has two inches more leg room up front. I'm 6'3 and that makes a big difference. Bronc has a dead pedal for the left foot, and IFS is going to handle better on the road. I reserved the 4D Badlands Squatch. There's a dealer in IA that's offering 1000 under invoice or X plan whichever is cheapest. I am violating my self imposed rule of never buying first year. Colorado has gone to California CAFE standards, and I know owning the diesel here is going to be painful as they can make it. So I'm going for the 2.7 as its a mature engine with almost the torque of the diesel Rubi.
@Lee Woiteshek

What is the dealer? The best I have seen prior to your post is from Laura Ford in Sullivan at $2k under msrp.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I'm on team 2 door, and whoever is making the best 2 door between the two will get my money :like:

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I was really excited by the launch, but two items immediately turned me off:

1) The manual transmission is only going to be offered with the anemic base engine. I guess Ford needed to make sure not too many manual transmissions are sold so they can say "Hey, we tried, but no one bought them."

2) The Sasquatch package is automatic transmission-only. Once again, see (1).

So if you want a capable vehicle with decent power and stick, your only choice is the JL.

I am hopeful the mere presence of the Bronco will cause Jeep to step up their QC game a bit, it depends on how fragile the Broncos turn out to be.
I here ya as a stick only driver in every vehicle I have ever had, however the 2.3 T is putting down 50 ft-lbs more torque at I'm betting lower more usable rpms's than the Pentastar, and only giving up 15 hp. I think it'll do quite well rowing your own, just my 2c...

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Both Ford and Jeep offer 33" tires, manual transmission.

Ford:
2.3L: 270-hp/310-lb-ft turbo DOHC 16-valve I-4

Jeep:
3.6L: 285 hp and 260 lbâ‹…ft.
2.0L: 270 hp and 295 lbâ‹…ft

The Ford 4cyl base engine specs match the HP of the Jeep optional 4cyl, and exceed the torque.

I've driven both Jeep engines, and honestly, they feel pretty similar.

I'm not sure I buy your argument that the Pentastar's 15 more HP and 50 ft.lb LESS torque take it from "anemic" power levels to "decent."

None of us have driven the Bronco 4cyl yet, so we can only speculate.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Looks like the 2 Door seats don't fold flat. When these vehicles start hitting the streets people will realize like with a Wrangler this is a compromise vehicle and things given(like extra cargo space with seats up) result in other negatives.

screenshot_20200715-232428-2-png.png

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Looks like the 2 Door seats don't fold flat. When these vehicles start hitting the streets people will realize like with a Wrangler this is a compromise vehicle and things given(like extra cargo space with seats up) result in other negatives.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread screenshot_20200715-232428-2-
Wow...What good is the rear split when they don't lay flat? It could also be that the seats are not completely down in the pic too.

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Granger Ford is taking reservations for 1K under invoice or any of the Ford plans (X), whichever is cheapest. With this being the new hotness, that's as good as your going to get this year. With the caveat that Covid doesn't crater the economy.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
How far back are the front seats in that pic? My Unlimited won't fold flat if the front seats are ALL the way back.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Both Ford and Jeep offer 33" tires, manual transmission.

Ford:
2.3L: 270-hp/310-lb-ft turbo DOHC 16-valve I-4

Jeep:
3.6L: 285 hp and 260 lbâ‹…ft.
2.0L: 270 hp and 295 lbâ‹…ft

The Ford 4cyl base engine specs match the HP of the Jeep optional 4cyl, and exceed the torque.

I've driven both Jeep engines, and honestly, they feel pretty similar.

I'm not sure I buy your argument that the Pentastar's 15 more HP and 50 ft.lb LESS torque take it from "anemic" power levels to "decent."

None of us have driven the Bronco 4cyl yet, so we can only speculate.
Also remember to factor in the far superior gearing at the axles of the Bronco, something every wrangler sans the Rubi suffers from. IMO all 6sp JLs should have come with at least a 3.73 and an option to 4.10. However I am unaware of the Bronco's stick gear ratios, so that will play into performance and efficiency...I know I never use 6th in my JL, barely turning 2k rpms at 70, gotta hit 80 plus to even think about 6th, which I very rarely do...

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just my opinion, but if Ford wants to steal share from FCA they need to approach pricing cautiously.

Not that I don’t love my Wrangler, but to put into perspective:

in 2015 I bought a brand new JKUR base with no options really, 6 speed manual. Sticker price was just over $35k.

Fast forward to 2020 and bought a JLUR base, one option (cold weather package) 6 speed manual. Sticker was just under $46k.

In 5 years, same basic build and increase of just over $10k.

My large complaint about the wrangler is it’s price. And based on what we can see so far from base pricing on the Bronco, optioning one out will make it a very pricy vehicle.
Sponsored