Best source for DEF?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Has anyone broken the code for the "use by" date for Blue Def.
Pretty easy and I only look at the first 5 numbers after the state code. First 2 number minus 1 = year manufactured. If it is 21 then 21 - 1 = 20, so 2020 is the year of the manufacture.
The next 3 digits needs to be subtracted by 365 to get the month and date of manufacture. If it is 165, then 365-165 = 200th day of the year. To get a rough idea I divide the result by 30 to get close to the month and day. So 200 would be somewhere around June/July.
Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Pretty easy and I only look at the first 5 numbers after the state code. First 2 number minus 1 = year manufactured. If it is 21 then 21 - 1 = 20, so 2020 is the year of the manufacture.
The next 3 digits needs to be subtracted by 365 to get the month and date of manufacture. If it is 165, then 365-165 = 200th day of the year. To get a rough idea I divide the result by 30 to get close to the month and day. So 200 would be somewhere around June/July.
why the hell do they make that so confusing

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
why the hell do they make that so confusing
They are probably trying to get the max information using least amount of characters but beats me why they need to be so miserly about it. :)

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I would love to find it at the pump but there is no place in Rochester, NY to get it. There is a new Love's east of me but too far out of the way. Truck stops are probably going through it faster than anyone.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I just purchased a jug at OReilly’s last night for $15. The Blu DEF was $21. I have never bought it at a pump.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I've run DEF for years now in my trucks and VW. If I run low while traveling I buy what ever I can find. When possible I buy it from the pump. Pump DEF is fresh and you can get a full tank fill. From what I understand, all DEF is created equal. No such thing as premium DEF in spite of claims. I do have a colorimeter to measure concentration and use it if the vehicle has been in storage for a long while. My VW sits 6 months out of the year while we're snowbirding.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I've run DEF for years now in my trucks and VW. If I run low while traveling I buy what ever I can find. When possible I buy it from the pump. Pump DEF is fresh and you can get a full tank fill. From what I understand, all DEF is created equal. No such thing as premium DEF in spite of claims. I do have a colorimeter to measure concentration and use it if the vehicle has been in storage for a long while. My VW sits 6 months out of the year while we're snowbirding.
Our equipment manager (heavy equipment) was telling me just a few days ago how temperature and sunlight ruins the DEF. He said it will actually start darkening in color. I have yet to see that. Point being “freshness“ is apparently important for DEF.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
That's my understanding as well. It will also evaporate causing a precipitation that will cause problems with the DEF injector. That's the reason for the colorimeter. If the % of urea is below @32 it need to be diluted with deionized water. I haven't had to add any yet but that's why I check.

jasander77

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered - 2023 4DR Rubicon XR
While I don’t have a diesel Jeep … I do have a ‘17 Ford Super Duty that holds 7.5 gallons of DEF. When it was new I was very unfamiliar with owning a diesel. I think I’d likely remain unaware if I wasn’t towing and having to go to 18-wheeler pumps. Like many of these responses I purchased BlueDEF at Walmart because I didn’t know any better. I still see plenty of diesel truck owners walking out of stores with BlueDEF and just shake my head. All I can can say is once you purchase at the pump … you’ll never go back to buying those PITA containers. At the pump it’s significantly cheaper and fills much faster and doesn’t make a mess. I’ve only purchased twice from pumps at Bucees … always seems to be a PITA and will never attempt again. Many truck stops sell it, but the key is finding ones that have a nozzle that will fit the fill recepticle on smaller vehicles. My DEF tank is large enough to last about 6 mos. So I make a point to purchase when I’m near stations I like. My preferred station is Cefco when on the road. We have a fairly new One9 near the house that I will likely visit again. Long story short … save yourself a lot of trouble and find a truck stop if you can.

Sponsored

2020 Rubi Diesel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I buy it at Rural king in southern IL. It was $9 for a 2.5gal. The truck stops wanted $4.25/gal the last time I checked here.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
The reason I avoid pump DEF is because you don't know how long it's been sitting there, what's in it, or if it meets spec. Does the station make sure to change the filter regularly? Do they keep the tank heated in cold weather? Do they get it from a reputable provider? Who knows!

If you buy it off the shelf you know it's been kept out of the weather, it meets spec, and you know where it came from and what you're getting.
LOL, actually is the exact opposite of this. You don't know how long the DEF has been sitting in Walmart or whatever warehouse, etc. The pump DEF, especially at a large, busy truckstop is as fresh as you can get and far cheaper than the packaged stuff. Truckers have to add this maybe not every fillup but close to it. They go through a lot of fuel. Their DEF tank is relatively small.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

LOL, actually is the exact opposite of this. You don't know how long the DEF has been sitting in Walmart or whatever warehouse, etc. The pump DEF, especially at a large, busy truckstop is as fresh as you can get and far cheaper than the packaged stuff. Truckers have to add this maybe not every fillup but close to it. They go through a lot of fuel. Their DEF tank is relatively small.
I've never bought DEF at a truck stop. Do they typically have smaller nozzles that fit a Wrangler?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
I've never bought DEF at a truck stop. Do they typically have smaller nozzles that fit a Wrangler?
Bulk DEF at the pump will work with your Wrangler or any vehicle...
Sponsored