Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

kevinfloats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered JLU Sport Altitude
That's the nice thing about the Curt, it's plug and play. Unplug the taillights, plug in the harness and run the wire to the front. I didn't consider the Mopar one...I'm a cheap Yankee! I used the Curt harness on my JK and it was easy to install, worked perfectly and was cheap - compared to Mopar.

Gotta help a fellow New Hampshire citizen out!
Live free or die!
Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
  • Go with a vehicle-specific base plate. All those aftermarket bumpers with winches look cool, but they're not designed for long-distance towing. You might be OK, but ???
In most cases, you are correct, but not in all cases. That is one of the problems with making general and ill-informed "All those" types of statements.

Rock Hard manufactures a number of models designed with flat towing in mind with the tow point bolted directly to the frame rails. There is at least one other brand that I am aware of, though I do not recall their name at the moment.

Many 3rd party bumper pull scenarios do not bolt directly to the frame rails and as a result to not satisfy the required safety regulation for flat towing.

When done right, these can offer a number of advantages, such as raising all tow connections to a greater height, eliminating all deep bending and kneeling on the rocky or wet ground to connect/disconnect. Our Rock Hard bumper solution works great and is faster and easier to connect than any alternate system I have seen. In addition, its easy-to-access tow connection bolts make period torque checking easy. This was a royal pain on our last flat tow using a BlueOx base plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow +Jeep Hookup - 1

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A question: I have a new 2021 JLUR auto transmission with the remote key fob.

Once the JLUR is hooked up to the motorhome, do I just lock the Jeep from outside using the remote key fob? This is a push button start, with no place to insert a key...

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
A question: I have a new 2021 JLUR auto transmission with the remote key fob.

Once the JLUR is hooked up to the motorhome, do I just lock the Jeep from outside using the remote key fob? This is a push button start, with no place to insert a key...
Yes...after properly putting transfer case into neutral and transmission into park, and releasing emergency brake.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been typing up a checklist in Word to flat tow my 2021 JLUR behind my motor home. Is anyone interested in reading / reviewing / using it? It assumes the following:

Blue Ox tow bar
Blue Ox baseplate on Jeep
RVi brake system and associated tablet.

... but it may still be useful enough.

Let me know. I would certainly appreciate some feedback. I copied and pasted some of the procedure from the JLUR manual.

Sponsored

cphollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2DR soft top
I have the same 2021 JL auto setup. I leave the key fob in the passenger area just for convenience. Jeep is switched off. Power for the brake assist comes from the always-hot rear lighter plug. A short cigarette lighter extension cable ($8) made everything work just fine.

I just got back from towing for a week. Loved it. With the right tow bar, brake assist etc. you sort of forget it's back there.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
@IslandNomad
You should post your document, somebody will benefit from your work.

@cphollis
You should bring your fob into your RV. Leaving it in the interior of your jeep could put an additional draw on your power consumption since the jeep always sees the fob and is waiting for you to press a button. It also should not allow your jeep to lock properly since the fob is inside the cabin.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
@IslandNomad
You should post your document, somebody will benefit from your work.

@cphollis
You should bring your fob into your RV. Leaving it in the interior of your jeep could put an additional draw on your power consumption since the jeep always sees the fob and is waiting for you to press a button. It also should not allow your jeep to lock properly since the fob is inside the cabin.
I leave my fob in the key holder in the center console about 99.9 percent of the time at home and always when towing, I don't belive it creates any additional draw. Also if the Jeep need to be disconnected in an emergency (accident or fire) I don't need to be looking for the key and unlocking the Jeep.

cphollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2DR soft top
@dapipp

I have a 12v trickle charge running from RV to towed car. It was needed for the brake assist, especially multi-day trips. I'm still going to leave the fob in the car when towing as it's so convenient. No one's likely steal my Jeep when it's attached to my RV, and there's nothing inside of any value. Besides, we're always nearby when towing.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi folks,

Here is my Wrangler towing checklist (PDF).

All feedback is appreciated. I incorporated my own experience with previous vehicles and copied and pasted some sections from the 2021 JLUR manual. It assumes:

• 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with automatic transmission.
  • Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate.
  • RVi Brake 3.
  • RVi Towed Charger.

If there is interest, I can make the Word document available also, and that way folks can make their own copy and edit it for their equipment.

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Hi folks,

Here is my Wrangler towing checklist (PDF).

All feedback is appreciated. I incorporated my own experience with previous vehicles and copied and pasted some sections from the 2021 JLUR manual. It assumes:

• 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with automatic transmission.
  • Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate.
  • RVi Brake 3.
  • RVi Towed Charger.

If there is interest, I can make the Word document available also, and that way folks can make their own copy and edit it for their equipment.
Greetings IslandNomad. . . and fellow ATX Jeep/rv owner. I will check out your list, but also note I made a similar checklist of sorts and it can be found in one of my earlier posts if you’re interested in taking a look. Maybe between the two lists we’ve got it covered! I have the BO tow bar and RVi gear, too. Have fun!

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I leave my FOB in the jeep when flat towing. I am able to lock/unlock the jeep with the second FOB which I keep in the coach. Works great.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I leave my FOB in the jeep when flat towing. I am able to lock/unlock the jeep with the second FOB which I keep in the coach. Works great.
Why keep fob in the jeep?

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 F450, 1986 Toyota Pickup
I have a year and 10k miles on my setup.

-LOD Destroyer shorty with the bracket reinforcement option
-cool tech JL wiring harness
-blue ox bx4720 10,000lb tow bar

absolutely perfect, the towbar is probably overkill but my first one on my jk was subject to bind, and this one seems to be a better design.