Renting an RV, need to Flat Tow a Jeep

sandlinm

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
My family and I are renting a diesel pusher over spring break and heading from AZ to Moab. I want to flat tow my 2020 Rubicon, but based on my research, it appears that the only way to do it is to purchase a full tow bar and mount setup. Is there a "rental option"? I looked at uhaul and the trailers only support 5000 Lbs but Jeeps weigh a bit more.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance..
Advertisement

jmelgin

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
If you want to flat tow, you will definitely need a tow bar as well as a tow plate installed on your jeep. When at Moab, I saw several diesel pushers with trailers that had Jeeps on them. I would keep looking for a trailer that I could rent.

rubigator

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you are renting a Diesel Pusher and have no plans to tow Jeep again, I would rent a trailer. A DP can handle that extra weight. Otherwise you need to add a baseplate and get tow bars. An alternate to the baseplate is a LOD or Rock Hard bumper can be provisioned for flat towing. You still need tow bars.

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was reading some threads a couple years ago where they mentioned most RV renters/rental companies say no to towing. Might want to check into it ahead of time.

Given the relatively short drive, might be easier and cheaper to just have a couple of your party drive the JL.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You can just about buy a trailer for what it would cost to get the Jeep set up with tow bar, brackets auxiliary braking and lights. For a one trip use I’d rent or buy a trailer, then sell after I got back home. A used car hauler would be great, but even on a new one you should be able to recoup most of your $$ when you get home. Setting up a Jeep to tow will be pricy😏

Advertisement

JKS Manufacturing

Advertisement