My Flat Tow Setup

JohnIrish

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
New member here.. I just purchased a new JL and got it set up to tow behind my RV. I thought I would post this to let others know what I have done. There are many towing options and this is just one of them. This is not installation advice.. just a discussion of what I picked for my flat tow setup. I did all the install myself. It does take MUCH longer than you think!

Bumper or Base Plate? Since I am not a hard core 4WD person.. I went with a Blue Ox Base plate. I did all the installation myself. The Youtube videos were very helpful. It is low profile and looks great. But.. since I did have to remove the old bumper.. and put it back on again.. I would consider a new tow rated bumper as an option. I just did not want to spend an additional $800 or so on the bumper. I dont think you could go wrong with either choice. There was some modification to the plastic.. and you have to drill holes in the frame... but not too difficult.

Tow Bar & Break ... I decided to try the NSA Ready Brute II .... So far I am very happy. The cable installation of the break was actually not too difficult. I also opted for their NSA ReadyStop emergency break. Again.. easy to install after installing the breaking system. When the RV comes to a stop.. the Jeep will push up against the RV and the tow arm.. there is a spring loaded arm inside the tow arm that pulls a cable attached to the break on the Jeep. All mechanical so easy to hook up.

Wiring ..... CoolTech system... instructions and on line video was Fantastic. I had LED lights and wanted an isolated system between the Jeep and RV lights. A toggle switch under the passenger seat is used to switch between the Jeep and the RV. It works great. There is no possibility of mixing the wiring between the Jeep and the RV. For the install, you simply remove the inside trim pieces on the passanger side... then tap into those wires.

Breaking indication in RV ... For this I used a Roadmaster kit ... you need to install an additional break switch above the pedal. Instructions were poor.... it was also a pain to get up under the break pedal for the install... but it does work great. When the break pedal is pushed... it closes a contact that will turn on a light in my RV. I used the spare Trailer Break position on my wiring socket.... then just wired positive from batter to break switch. to socket. The positive then goes inside my RV to turn on the Dash Light. I simply picked up a nice light at an automotive store. I was planning to use the Break Controller wiring plug on my RV... but I could not find it even after taking apart the dash! So it was easier to just run my own wires from the back of the RV via the frame up to the Dash. On a test Tow.. it is great to see the Jeep Breaks come on and turn off...

I hope this helps or gives someone ideas on how to set up their Jeep for a Flat tow. Now I have an easy to set up system... nothing to install inside the Jeep before towning... and I can monitor the Jeep to be sure breaks are being applied.
Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
New member here.. I just purchased a new JL and got it set up to tow behind my RV. I thought I would post this to let others know what I have done. There are many towing options and this is just one of them. This is not installation advice.. just a discussion of what I picked for my flat tow setup. I did all the install myself. It does take MUCH longer than you think!

Bumper or Base Plate? Since I am not a hard core 4WD person.. I went with a Blue Ox Base plate. I did all the installation myself. The Youtube videos were very helpful. It is low profile and looks great. But.. since I did have to remove the old bumper.. and put it back on again.. I would consider a new tow rated bumper as an option. I just did not want to spend an additional $800 or so on the bumper. I dont think you could go wrong with either choice. There was some modification to the plastic.. and you have to drill holes in the frame... but not too difficult.

Tow Bar & Break ... I decided to try the NSA Ready Brute II .... So far I am very happy. The cable installation of the break was actually not too difficult. I also opted for their NSA ReadyStop emergency break. Again.. easy to install after installing the breaking system. When the RV comes to a stop.. the Jeep will push up against the RV and the tow arm.. there is a spring loaded arm inside the tow arm that pulls a cable attached to the break on the Jeep. All mechanical so easy to hook up.

Wiring ..... CoolTech system... instructions and on line video was Fantastic. I had LED lights and wanted an isolated system between the Jeep and RV lights. A toggle switch under the passenger seat is used to switch between the Jeep and the RV. It works great. There is no possibility of mixing the wiring between the Jeep and the RV. For the install, you simply remove the inside trim pieces on the passanger side... then tap into those wires.

Breaking indication in RV ... For this I used a Roadmaster kit ... you need to install an additional break switch above the pedal. Instructions were poor.... it was also a pain to get up under the break pedal for the install... but it does work great. When the break pedal is pushed... it closes a contact that will turn on a light in my RV. I used the spare Trailer Break position on my wiring socket.... then just wired positive from batter to break switch. to socket. The positive then goes inside my RV to turn on the Dash Light. I simply picked up a nice light at an automotive store. I was planning to use the Break Controller wiring plug on my RV... but I could not find it even after taking apart the dash! So it was easier to just run my own wires from the back of the RV via the frame up to the Dash. On a test Tow.. it is great to see the Jeep Breaks come on and turn off...

I hope this helps or gives someone ideas on how to set up their Jeep for a Flat tow. Now I have an easy to set up system... nothing to install inside the Jeep before towning... and I can monitor the Jeep to be sure breaks are being applied.
I also went with Readybrute. I went with Mopar flat tow wire harness. I am curious about additional break switch you installed. I am assuming you installed it in the Jeep. Is it a mechanical switch detecting movement of the pedal?

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roadmaster website shows infrared switch for break pedal. Is it the one you installed? Can you share wiring diagram?

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about this too. I'm still learning. Why would you need an additional switch? Do you rely on the tow vehicle to light up your taillights using the CoolTech wiring? I know I'm going to be using an RVI brake I already have. Thanks for the info.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious about this too. I'm still learning. Why would you need an additional switch? Do you rely on the tow vehicle to light up your taillights using the CoolTech wiring? I know I'm going to be using an RVI brake I already have. Thanks for the info.
For Readybrute Towbar you want to be able to monitor actual breaking application on towed vehicle. I ended up using Roadmaster infrared sensor. It is mounted on Jeep break pedal. They also offer mechanical switch but that looks like pain to install. I used auxiliary device wiring on my wrangler for power source.
Sponsored