Not open for further replies.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You decision or the lack thereof may be moot. We don't yet know what powertrain options FCA will offer for MY22. They ditched eTorque on the 2.0 and brought it to the 3.6 for MY21, maybe they'll have eTorque on both for MY22, or bring over the 2.2L Turbo, or drop the MT altogether.
It's all speculation at this point, but etorque was only there for epa bean counters. Looks good on paper but really doesn't gain anything but complexity. With the 4xe available I think we are more likely to see them drop the etorque entirely than expand it across multiple engine options. With the 2.0t being the engine of choice in the 4xe, I doubt we see it go anywhere either. The MT likely hangs on like the folding windshield, more nostalgia than necessity. Just my guesses on the topic.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I have time to think about this before I order my 2022 Jeep but I'd like to get some opinions from experienced Jeep JL owners in the mean time to help make my decision easier when the time comes in October.

When I order my Jeep I have a set budget that I can't break. Which leaves me with 2 options. I either chose the 2.0 engine with the Automatic transmission or I chose the 3.6 pentastar with the manual.

I've actually owned the 3.6 in a Dodge Charger before and it's a hell of a good engine that's very reliable and as strong as the older V8s power wise. I've seen articles online showing that can get 600k+ miles even. So I already know that the 3.6 is super reliable. If I go this route then the question becomes how reliable is the 6 speed manual it will get mated up with? I've seen the 6 speed had some issues in the past. Looks like they got ironed out but not sure.

The there's the 2.0 Turbo. I know nothing about this engine and it seems the jury is still out on how long it can last long term. It's definitely got the power which intrigues me. But reliability comes first as this new Jeep will be a long-term investment and ownership. Then there's the 8 speed Automatic which is a very reliable and good transmission that performs well that it will be mated to.

So in the end what's the better reliable combination? The 2.0T with Automatic or the 3.6 with the manual? šŸ¤”
Youā€™re asking a question thatā€™s impossible to answer. The JL is a new platform with different engine transmission combinations. Thereā€™s only been a little over 3 years to draw any feedback from.

IMO , the 8 speed trans is one of, if not the best thing they did in the JL. So unless youā€™re married to the idea of owning a stick Iā€™d choose the option with the auto.

Youā€™re just gonna have to take a chance like the rest of us and hope for the best, lol.......I wouldnā€™t let it bother you though, if you really want a Jeep get what you want, if it breaks , fix it........:)

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have an 05 LJUR with the six-speed man, at 16 years now, 20 not that far off. The earlier ones did have issues and I have replaced the tranny once. Because I have the I-6, it's hard finding a replacement but with the V-6, they're everywhere. Other than the trans, I've had to do nothing other than regular maintenance and a few batteries (FL kills them quick). Honestly, there is nothing more fun than a stick, and it's traditional Jeep. I will recommend the stick and the bigger motor, turbo lag sucks. With the stick you'll always be in control of the power.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Comment number 2. I also have a JL 3.6 with the 8-spd auto, it is impressive for an auto, but.... the LJ is so much more fun to drive. The 392 with the paddle shifters I have on order should cure my ails.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I have owned YJ, TJ, JK, and now a JL. The JL is the first auto I owned, I just got tired of shifting. The other Jeeps were great to own but the engine was never the problem. The YJ it was the tranny but that was around 280k miles, the TJ it was the ECM twice, and the JK was fine I just got tired of shifting. All of them were 6 cylinders. The JL is V6 with eTorque. I find it enjoyable to drive and that is why I bought it. Point being, I donā€™t think the engine is the weak point on a wrangler so buy what you enjoy driving, and enjoy the new Jeep!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I can not even fathom keeping a vehicle for 20 years. That sounds like a crazy plan to me. Vehicles are a disposable money sucking commodity IMO. I have owned over 100 in the last 35 years, I change them like underwear when I can. I think my record is about 5 years, most I change after 2-3 years, many lasted less than a year. My wife? My home? 20+ years, sure, absolutely. A car, no way.
I agree with a regular vehicle like a Honda Civic or something. But a vehicle like a Jeep with a Monster aftermarket you can make last forever and keep it forever.

As I said earlier no other vehicle has an aftermarket like Jeep does except for Harley Davidson. That's why there are so many old Jeeps on the road and so many old Harley Davidsons on the road. You can make them last forever if you want.

I understand if you always want the latest and the greatest and treat vehicles like underwear. Plenty of people do. He'll I use to be exactly the same way. I was a car addict. There was a stretch when I was buying a new car almost every year. Every new Muscle car from the Challengers to the Camaros I've owned. Same with Harleys I had them all.

At some point you have to slow down and respect your own money and respect and care for the vehicle you purchased. I get not just any old vehicle but a Jeep can make memories and it's a lifestyle and its worth it. My kids will grow up with my Jeep and remember all the adventures and one day they will own it when I'm gone.

Also Jeeps are too dam expensive to keep buying a new one all the time!!

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
I sat here reading this thread and everyone giving their opinions on what to get. Did you think to ask a question like how are you going to use the Jeep. Will it be your daily driver, how much traffic do you deal with on a daily basis. How is your driving habits are you a slam if to the floor with balls in the air attitude. Will this be a mall crawler or a go off the road Jeep. Do you do your own maintenance?

We also donā€™t know what package he wants to order only the drive train. So to the author of this thread what package do you want to order with options. Maybe you can get the 3.6 with the auto. Maybe he is ordering stuff that doesnā€™t make sense.
just my $0.02. Most of younare coming up with good reason and opinions.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I sat here reading this thread and everyone giving their opinions on what to get. Did you think to ask a question like how are you going to use the Jeep. Will it be your daily driver, how much traffic do you deal with on a daily basis. How is your driving habits are you a slam if to the floor with balls in the air attitude. Will this be a mall crawler or a go off the road Jeep. Do you do your own maintenance?

We also donā€™t know what package he wants to order only the drive train. So to the author of this thread what package do you want to order with options. Maybe you can get the 3.6 with the auto. Maybe he is ordering stuff that doesnā€™t make sense.
just my $0.02. Most of younare coming up with good reason and opinions.
It will be a 2 door 2022 Rubicon with just the tow package being that you get the upgraded battery, alternator, aux switches and towing equipment. Engine and transmission to be determined.

It will be daily driver but low mileage no long commutes anywhere. And will also be used to go adventure off roading and camping. But no extreme off roading. Normal average off roading. Regular forest trails.

Also not much traffic to deal with as I live out in the country.

The most I'll ever do to it besides stock as far as performance goes is maybe throw 35s on with no lift when the 33s wear out.

And no I'm not a slam it to the floor driver at all anymore. Slow cruising and enjoying the scenery type of guy. The Jeep will be extremely cared for but it won't be a mall crawler.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I already know about DI engines. Not all have Carbon build up issues. It depends on the design.
Is the design of the 2.0T subject to carbon build up?

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Is the design of the 2.0T subject to carbon build up?
Not that I've heard of yet. But the jury is still out I guess. I don't think any of the new DI engines are really subject too extreme Carbon build up like the earlier engines were.

Sponsored

JGlanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JLURXR, Outback
Occupation
Dog trainer
When I order my Jeep I have a set budget that I can't break.
šŸ‘Œ
Well there's today's budget, and then there's October's budget. :LOL:

If it were me, I'd put today's budget in ADA or ETH, wait for October, and then get whatever I damn well please šŸ“ˆ.

Win-win!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I worry about about long term availability and repairability of our transmissions. With the many different variations produced, the aftermarket is going to have a hard time supporting them. The replacement costs are already at approximately 5k for a tranny. It's not going to get much better.

The 3.6L engine however is stuffed into every chrysler product built in the last 9 years.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not that I've heard of yet. But the jury is still out I guess. I don't think any of the new DI engines are really subject too extreme Carbon build up like the earlier engines were.
Based on what change in design should we believe this?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.